Author Topic: Whole Wheat & Wheat Grinders  (Read 120308 times)

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
Re: Whole Wheat & Wheat Grinders
« Reply #270 on: October 14, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
I make Ezekiel Bread all the time! Safe to admit here I am addicted to it..especially toasted with coconut oil spread on top for breakfast! Nothing makes me happier than an Ezekiel fast with bread and water.
My recipe is from the Breadbeckers who got it from someone who was on the 700 club:
Combine the following whole grains :
2 1/2 cups hard red wheat
1 1/2 cups spelt or rye ( in the Bible it was spelt)
1/2 cup barley
1/4 cup millet
1/4 cup lentils ( green preferred)
2 Tablespoons each Great Northern, Kidney, Pinto Beans

Stir the above very well then grind in a flour mill.

Bread:

4 cups lukewarm water
1 cup honey
1/2 cup oil
2 tsp salt
freshly milled flour from above mixture of grains
2 Tbs yeast

In a large bowl combine water, honey, oil and salt. Add all of the flour and yeast. Stir or knead until well kneaded about 10 minutes. This is a batter type bread and will not form a smooth ball.

Pour dough into greased pans ( 2 large 10x5x3 or 3 med loaf pans or 2 9x13 brownie pans.) and let rise in a warm place one hour or until dough is about 1/4 inch from the top of the pan. DO NOT OVER RISE!! If it rises too much it will overflow the pan while baking. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes for loaf pans and 35-40 minutes for brownie pans.

For fasting: Divide bread into 8 equal parts weighing 1/2 pound each. Eat 1/2 pound and one quart of water per day. For fasting don't alter the recipe but you can add fruits and nuts for variation.

On a personal note: I tend to use less water, let it rise while the oven preheats and then bake it. You have to get used to the batter because it can be very soupy and overflow and make a terrible mess. I've had disasters in trying to get the hang of it.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #271 on: October 18, 2008, 08:32:06 AM »
thanks for the recipe!  sounds yummy.

on another note, i am wondering, has anyone had any "hulls" in their flour?  i use an ultramill and don't think i've ever seen this many, but today i have a lot in the flour.  i'm wondering if my mill is getting old.  it is about 4 years old.  they seem to be making the bread a little coarse. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #272 on: October 19, 2008, 12:41:46 PM »
It could be your wheat berries, I found that out the hard way. Make sure you have hard wheat berries, not soft.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #273 on: October 19, 2008, 02:12:47 PM »

on another note, i am wondering, has anyone had any "hulls" in their flour?  i use an ultramill and don't think i've ever seen this many, but today i have a lot in the flour.  i'm wondering if my mill is getting old.  it is about 4 years old.  they seem to be making the bread a little coarse. 
Any chance your mill is a little "clogged" in the adjustment that sets the grind? I usually give the grinder a solid tap or two as it finishes to make sure that it cleans well. Also run some very dry corn through once in while on a coarse grind.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #274 on: October 19, 2008, 05:23:58 PM »
hmmmmm.............AlaskaHerbGirl, do you mean you never mill soft white wheat?  the kind i was just using was hard white and hard red, but i do occasionally use the soft white.

also, boysmama, i have never done the tap or the corn, so will have to give that a try.  would it be bad to mill squirrell corn?  that is all the corn i have around!   :D  i don't have any adjustment, it is just one setting for the fineness of the grind.  it's usually fine.  will try your suggestions.  thanks to you both!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #275 on: October 19, 2008, 06:10:35 PM »
I bought soft white and I found out that they don't even make good cookies. I am just using our soft white wheat berries for sprouting and for cereal. I use only our hard berries for baking and anything I need flour for. When I tried grinding my soft berries the outer shell was in larger flakes like you mentioned, and even though it was set on the finest setting the flour was more like flakes than flour.

Offline lewisquiverfull

• Adept
« Reply #276 on: October 20, 2008, 02:39:15 AM »
It seems to me that after I grind popcorn (the only corn I grind) it will run the wheat smoother.
I put the grinder on low power and grind plain ol' yellow popcorn, it makes the YUMMIEST cornbread.
After that, my wheat will grind a little better, maybe the corn cleans it out.  ???

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #277 on: October 20, 2008, 05:22:18 PM »
It seems to me that after I grind popcorn (the only corn I grind) it will run the wheat smoother.
I put the grinder on low power and grind plain ol' yellow popcorn, it makes the YUMMIEST cornbread.
After that, my wheat will grind a little better, maybe the corn cleans it out.  ???

do you have the yummy cornbread recipe posted???  i would love to hear of it!  thanks!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #278 on: October 23, 2008, 07:39:26 AM »
I have been getting samples of hard red wheat from a friend.  I don't have a grinder but really wanted to practice before I make the investment.  I have found that my coffee grinder grinds nicely in small amounts.  I put 1/2 cup of berries in my grinder and allow to grind for several seconds and this makes over 1/2 cup of flour.  I'm only doing 1/2 and 1/2 on my bread right now to make the berries last until I can get some more and I'm very happy with the results.  If you have a bread machine, this is a very good way to do very little work and practice your hand at homemade self ground bread.

Here's the recipe I've been using.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,14913.msg206620.html#msg206620
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #279 on: December 10, 2008, 06:29:30 PM »
I have a whisper mill. It is great but I just got a vita mix and I will be using that to grind my flour. By the way does anyone live near Wappingers Falls New York? I have a lot of Ezekiel mix for making bread. I have so much I can give to anyone wants to pick it up.

Which would you recommend for grinding flour?  My DH and I are trying to decide which route we want to go with a grain mill or with the vitamix.  We are family of 4 and won't be getting larger anytime soon.  We use about 2 loaves of store bought bread a week, but can easily imagine that we would use a lot more if I made it at home.  Anyone else who has used both a mill and vitamix or knows something that will help me decide between the two, I would appreciate it. 
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #280 on: December 10, 2008, 06:34:50 PM »
I have both.  I use them for different things.  The WhisperMill grinds gluten free grains like rice much better.  It's finer, and bakes up better.

The Vitamix grains wheat just fine.  I almost like the Vitamix better for wheat and spelt.  Also, the vitamix can do sooo many other things, like soup, green smoothies, ice cream, and on and on.  So, if it were one or the other, and I were just grinding regular grains, I'd go with the Vitamix.  If I were needing really fine flour with unusual grains, I'd get the WhisperMill.

Hope that helps!

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #281 on: December 11, 2008, 12:20:01 PM »
I have a whisper mill. It is great but I just got a vita mix and I will be using that to grind my flour. By the way does anyone live near Wappingers Falls New York? I have a lot of Ezekiel mix for making bread. I have so much I can give to anyone wants to pick it up.

Which would you recommend for grinding flour?  My DH and I are trying to decide which route we want to go with a grain mill or with the vitamix.  We are family of 4 and won't be getting larger anytime soon.  We use about 2 loaves of store bought bread a week, but can easily imagine that we would use a lot more if I made it at home.  Anyone else who has used both a mill and vitamix or knows something that will help me decide between the two, I would appreciate it. 

Anyone else????
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #282 on: December 11, 2008, 01:38:52 PM »
I have a K-Tech...large capacity.....instrux manual says its tough enough to "grind rocks." Mine is about 4 yrs old....love it.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #283 on: December 16, 2008, 11:21:27 PM »

I can't give you my own experience, I have yet to use the grinder I now have.  ;D  However, a good friend of mine tried a vitamix (borrowed) for awhile and she didn't like the consistency of the flour.  She purchased a nutramill and is quite pleased with it.  Her bread ain't too shabby neither. ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #284 on: January 20, 2009, 06:39:34 PM »

Anyone else????

I have to go back and read the whole thread, but I have been grinding and baking for about 3 years (almost) with a whispermill and a Bosch.  A nutritionist got me into it and she had been using her Vitamix to grind, but didn't like the consistency either.  I brought her to a friend who demonstrated the Nutrimill and Bosch.  As I recall, she bought a Bosch, but can't remember about the mill.  Maybe didn't have the money yet.  I wish I had a Vitamix for the juicing.  I want to juice wheatgrass and other stuff, but don't think I'll have the money for that.  :(  Another friend has the Vitamix, but I heard she has someone else grind her grain in a mill for her!  In fact, she had offered to borrow her Vitamix out to someone.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #285 on: January 20, 2009, 08:03:37 PM »
Some very good friends got together and got me a new grinder.  It's a family mill manual crank.  I just made my first perfect loaf today.  The grind was wonderful, the bread was beautiful, soft and just like store-bought whole wheat bread.  This one is cheaper than most other mills and I just love love love it.  The bread weren't too shabby neither.  ;D

BTW - I'm using Hard Read Wheat.  I've tried, white, red and golden and I like the red the best for consistency, texture and flavor.  A friend recommended I try my gold for cakes, so that will be the next adventure.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline westernskys

• Adept
    • Stories from the X-Bar Ranch
« Reply #286 on: January 21, 2009, 07:19:46 PM »
Some very good friends got together and got me a new grinder.  It's a family mill manual crank.  I just made my first perfect loaf today.  The grind was wonderful, the bread was beautiful, soft and just like store-bought whole wheat bread.  This one is cheaper than most other mills and I just love love love it.  The bread weren't too shabby neither.  ;D

BTW - I'm using Hard Read Wheat.  I've tried, white, red and golden and I like the red the best for consistency, texture and flavor.  A friend recommended I try my gold for cakes, so that will be the next adventure.  ;)
My dad gave me a hand grinder...ancient...but it takes lots of muscle, and about 1/2 hour per cup of flour...I've never held out long enough to get enough to make bread....you must have biceps of steel! ;D jk
Home is where your husband is.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #287 on: January 21, 2009, 08:47:22 PM »

My dad gave me a hand grinder...ancient...but it takes lots of muscle, and about 1/2 hour per cup of flour...I've never held out long enough to get enough to make bread....you must have biceps of steel! ;D jk
Have everyone in the family take turns throughout the day until you get enough to make the bread for the next day or two.  I did that yesterday and it took us about 6 hours because we just let it sit between the other things we were doing.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #288 on: January 23, 2009, 04:47:08 AM »
Okay, my puter froze up in the middle of my post.  This one's shorter.  The soaked wheat recipe did not work for me.  I'm making croutons right now.  I did use yogurt, not sure if that was it.  Won't go into the details.  The only bread recipe that has turned out for me, for good slicing/sandwhich bread, at least, is a friend from church's recipe.  He grinds and Bosch's and his wife is the puter geek.  She is also the children's admin. at church and calls her DH "Steve the Hunk", affectionately.  The only major diff. I see in his bread and mine is the addition of flax seed.  Don't know if that's it.  It makes 2 loaves.  I do have to let it rise for closer to an hour, so I might up the yeast to 1 T and see if that helps.  It doesn't rise as much as I'd like, but it does get over the pan.  It has a great consistency for slicing bread.  You don't have to be that careful.

Steve’s Whole Wheat Bread

Put in mixing bowl in the following order:
3 cups of water
2 tsp salt
Olive oil – slightly less than ½ a cup
½ cup honey ( I use honey bought from a local bee keeper)
Add:
4 C. flour
2 tsp instant yeast
2 tsp dough inhancer
½ C of ground flax seed
Start mixing with a dough hook
Slowly add Flour to the right consistency up to 4 cups.
Right consistency = till the dough doesn’t stick to the side of the bowl.
Mix for 8 minutes (depending on your mixer)
Divide into 2 loaves
Put into pans and rise for 25 minutes in a slightly warm oven
Then bake in a preheated oven 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #289 on: January 27, 2009, 02:55:59 PM »
I just made pancakes with hard red wheat.  I soaked the flour for about 1/2 hour in buttermilk (1/2 real buttermilk and half milk-vinegar because I was short on buttermilk) to help soften the flour.  Then I added the eggs, baking powder (I used an extra teaspoon for 2 cups of flour) and the baking soda.  Let it sit for another 10 minutes and they were fabulous!!!!!  Best pancakes I've ever had.  I've made this exact recipe without soaking and without adding the extra baking powder and they were grainy and flat.  Okay, but nothing to write home about.  Happy milling!!   ;D

The recipe is in the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook.  I used the Buttermilk/Buckwheat (all wheat) recipes.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 02:58:20 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Lover-of-Beauty

« Reply #290 on: April 08, 2009, 02:40:45 PM »
I get an email through from the Urban Homemaker when specials / deals are on, so you may want subscribe at www.urbanhomemaker.com

Hope that helps! :)

Offline Lovin'myHoneyinVT

• Adept
« Reply #291 on: August 30, 2009, 03:47:02 PM »

I bought my kitchen aid grain grinding attachment and since the beginning it has had hull in it.  I could sift it out, it is so much larger, but then lose the benefit of whole wheat...and I use hard red winter wheat.  Is this normal for the kitchen aid? ???

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #292 on: August 31, 2009, 05:45:07 AM »

I bought my kitchen aid grain grinding attachment and since the beginning it has had hull in it.  I could sift it out, it is so much larger, but then lose the benefit of whole wheat...and I use hard red winter wheat.  Is this normal for the kitchen aid? ???

not sure, mine is an Ultra Mill.  they are not really bothering me, so will just keep using it til it dies.  i think i am getting a different one next time.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #293 on: November 09, 2009, 11:10:11 AM »
so maybe you wise ladies can help me out. i just bought a blend tec for smoothies, butters, grinding, etc ... I don't make my own bread cause i have a great source really cheap, but I still use flour occassionaly for pancakes, banana bread, etc ... we try to avoid wheat...so we are doing amaranth, kamut, etc. Someone mentioned the blend tec may not be good cause it gets so hot and kills some of the nutrients...but I'm thinking, I'm gonna grind the flour to make pancakes I'm gonna COOK...does it really matter? aren't they gonna be lost anyways to being cooked?!?????
any thoughts on this heat issue? anyone used the blend tec for kamut and amaranth?

Offline Linda1958

• Learning
    • Linda's Bread
« Reply #294 on: November 10, 2009, 04:46:35 PM »
Did you try baking bread with sourdough? I don't have any problems with the rising part. I save money as well with the recipe I use, since I do not use oil or dough enhancer. I am glad, because in tough times every penny saved makes a difference  :)