Author Topic: What Alternative Healing Methods Do You Use?  (Read 2311 times)

Offline rebekahgrif

• Adept
What Alternative Healing Methods Do You Use?
« on: October 21, 2006, 03:26:11 AM »
Just curious here.  Do you use mostly herbs and nutrition, or do you take a wider perspective.  For example, I tend to look at herbs, essential oils,  diet, massage, accupressure, homeopathy, and even electromagnet theory.  I believe in finding the cause and reating it rather than just the symptom, but I also know sometimes you have to treat the symptom while FINDING the cause. 
  So I'm curious.  What alternative methods do you use, or study; what seems like a bunch of baloney and what seems to work for you. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 03:47:59 AM by healthybratt »

herbmama

Re: What Alternative Healing Methods Do You Use?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 05:25:58 AM »
Hi  :)
We use herbs alot for medicinal uses because I always have them on hand.  I clean with essential oils (I do other things with them too, especially tea tree).  We do watch our diet and will do juice fastings or water fasts for serious illness.  Massage when my children are a little under the weather. 

My children's pediatrician is an MD who is also certified in children's homeopathy.  Their former MD was as well.  We have been using homeopathic treatments with vitamin supplements for about 10 years.  Since my son was 9 months old.  He had been on antibiotics for the first 9 months of his life for "frequent ear infections", I knew something else had to be it, so I took him to a holistic doctor.  My son was his youngest patient, and he didn't treat babies, but he said he would help.  I trusted him implicitly.  For a while though, he had to look up the dosages for everything and we had to do a cleanse until my son was well.  He said after looking into his ears 1 time that my son had no infection but that his eustachian (sp?) tubes were clogged.  He gave us some homeopthics and home we went.  No sign of "infection" after that at all.  We continued to see him for all of my children (from birth) for the next 4 years.  He moved, so we found another MD and she is very kind and will tell me what she would use (homeopathically) and tells me if I would like to try herbs it's ok by her.  She also uses "suggestive therapy" and massage. 

Just in case you're wondering, suggestive therapy is gently suggesting something to a child (who are almost always good "receivers") to promote a change.  Example:  My oldest son was in the office being very mean and rowdy.  She said "Seth, does it make your body feel yucky when you do that?"  He said  "yes".  She said, "does it make you feel healthy?"  He said "no".  She asked "is it better to be healthy or yucky?"  He got it right away and realized that his emotions affected his health/wellbeing and calmed right down.  If I had not been sitting right there, I would have called her a quack. ;)

Also, we use yoga for health.  We don't excersize on a rigid schedule, but we ride bikes and do yoga.  My children have never had any weight issues that we see everywhere. 

So, to answer your question I guess we use alot of different things.
Hope that helps.

Jen

Offline purewellspring

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 05:55:05 AM »
He said after looking into his ears 1 time that my son had no infection but that his eustachian (sp?) tubes were clogged.  He gave us some homeopthics and home we went.  No sign of "infection" after that at all.

I know this is old, but I thought I'd at least try. I've had ear problems since my wedding (almost four months ago! wow!), and cannot for the life of me get them to clear. I had one bout with an ear infection, but none since. But the whole time, since we flew home from our honeymoon, my eustachian tubes deep down have been full, and I cannot get them to drain! I was hoping our recent MC would accomplish this, no luck. I've tried multiple homeopathic remedies (puls., silicea, kali mur - I think, sometimes I get it confused, but I'm almost positive that's the one - and maybe some others I can't think of), as well as pro-biotics, lymph massage, lots of water, little/no dairy, and I can't open them. They crackle every time I swallow. They don't hurt and I can still hear, my head just always feels kind of full. Since something worked on your son, I thought I'd just ask what the doctor suggested (if you remember!).  The one dr I finally broke down and visited suggested some presciption steroid nasal spray (side note, the pharmacy never gives you the insert, but if you get a trial at the dr's office, sometimes it's still in there...the number of times that piece of paper said, "we don't know how that works" or "we don't know what this is doing" or "further study needs to be done" would make any thinking person question every medication they've ever been given!), but I really didn't want to take it...so didn't. I've just been doing everything natural I can. HELP!!!

(This might be in the wrong thread, but it was the closest thing I found to the problem I'm having! Sorry if I misplaced it!  :))

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 07:53:35 AM »
He said after looking into his ears 1 time that my son had no infection but that his eustachian (sp?) tubes were clogged.  He gave us some homeopthics and home we went.  No sign of "infection" after that at all.
I know this is old, but I thought I'd at least try. I've had ear problems since my wedding (almost four months ago! wow!), and cannot for the life of me get them to clear. I had one bout with an ear infection, but none since. But the whole time, since we flew home from our honeymoon, my eustachian tubes deep down have been full, and I cannot get them to drain! I was hoping our recent MC would accomplish this, no luck. I've tried multiple homeopathic remedies (puls., silicea, kali mur - I think, sometimes I get it confused, but I'm almost positive that's the one - and maybe some others I can't think of), as well as pro-biotics, lymph massage, lots of water, little/no dairy, and I can't open them. They crackle every time I swallow. They don't hurt and I can still hear, my head just always feels kind of full. Since something worked on your son, I thought I'd just ask what the doctor suggested (if you remember!).  The one dr I finally broke down and visited suggested some presciption steroid nasal spray (side note, the pharmacy never gives you the insert, but if you get a trial at the dr's office, sometimes it's still in there...the number of times that piece of paper said, "we don't know how that works" or "we don't know what this is doing" or "further study needs to be done" would make any thinking person question every medication they've ever been given!), but I really didn't want to take it...so didn't. I've just been doing everything natural I can. HELP!!!

(This might be in the wrong thread, but it was the closest thing I found to the problem I'm having! Sorry if I misplaced it!  :))

There is a lot of good info on this thread:

Plugged Ears: Remedies for Ear Congestion

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom