Author Topic: Cold, Cough, Phlegm, Congestion & Sore Throat Remedies  (Read 220389 times)

cecac

Re: Cold, Cough, Phlegm, Congestion & Sore Throat Remedies
« Reply #240 on: October 24, 2007, 06:27:05 AM »
did that for the initial sickness...the croup...off and on since...put a tube sock with onion by his bed at nap time and wasn;t congested when he woke up but is now! :-\

Hello kittininja,

In the How To Herb Book there's Mustard Plasters. 

It states these can be left on overnight for children and babies without burning. 

1 Tb. Ginger, 1 Tb. dry mustard, 1 Tb. turpentine (from the pharmacy, I think it's oil of turpentine), 1 Tb. salt, 3 Tb. lard or shortening.  Mix together, spread on a soft cloth and apply to chest.

All of the homemade cough syrups had honey in them, which I'm thinking isn't suitable for a 6 month old.

Also, instead of eucalyptus on your son, how about in an essential oil nebulizer thingy?  That would get the fumes into him without direct skin contact.

Blessings, and I pray your little one is healed up from this very soon,
Cara

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #241 on: November 04, 2007, 03:14:38 AM »
I am really sorry if this has been answered, but I have searched a little and need to find the answer. My 3yo twins, DH, and I are almost over a cold that has circulated through our house for over a week. This morning, my 8 week old started coughing a little. No fever yet. What can I do for her to get on top of this now. I have been taking olive leaf, extra vitamin C, fenugreek, and using GOOT a little on myself. I have also ingested some raw garlic, but it seems to give the baby some gas and maybe spit up more. She gags easily causing her to throw up anyway, so I am also afraid the coughing is going to cause nursing and sleeping problems.

Can I do a garlic poultice or GOOT on her? What else?

Thank you so much for any advice!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #242 on: November 04, 2007, 03:29:34 AM »
I am really sorry if this has been answered, but I have searched a little and need to find the answer. My 3yo twins, DH, and I are almost over a cold that has circulated through our house for over a week. This morning, my 8 week old started coughing a little. No fever yet. What can I do for her to get on top of this now. I have been taking olive leaf, extra vitamin C, fenugreek, and using GOOT a little on myself. I have also ingested some raw garlic, but it seems to give the baby some gas and maybe spit up more. She gags easily causing her to throw up anyway, so I am also afraid the coughing is going to cause nursing and sleeping problems.

Can I do a garlic poultice or GOOT on her? What else?

Thank you so much for any advice!

smear goot all over her!!!  i have been known to do it so much to a baby that his poo smelled like garlic!!!  works like a charm!  God bless! 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Nickole

« Reply #243 on: November 04, 2007, 06:01:22 AM »
I think it was on this thread that I found a tip late last night that worked.  Coconut oil with a few drops of eucalyptus oil rubbed on the feet quieted my 2 year olds nighttime coughing what seemed like immediately.  I had previously woken her up to give her a tea of garlic/ACV/honey/thyme/tincture which she gobbled down half asleep through a straw but when she was still coughing this forum saved the day for me once again  :).  I went and rubbed her feet with the warm oil and put her back to bed (half asleep she was saying, "that tickle" with a smile.  So cute) and I don't think I heard another cough.  So I highly recommend that for nighttime coughing!

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #244 on: November 04, 2007, 12:08:43 PM »
I think it was on this thread that I found a tip late last night that worked.  Coconut oil with a few drops of eucalyptus oil rubbed on the feet quieted my 2 year olds nighttime coughing what seemed like immediately.  I had previously woken her up to give her a tea of garlic/ACV/honey/thyme/tincture which she gobbled down half asleep through a straw but when she was still coughing this forum saved the day for me once again  :).  I went and rubbed her feet with the warm oil and put her back to bed (half asleep she was saying, "that tickle" with a smile.  So cute) and I don't think I heard another cough.  So I highly recommend that for nighttime coughing!

My sister and I worked through a cold too this last month (we weren't the only ones to have it - it seemed like every other person in the community had or has it) and the eucalyptus oil was one of the things that finally got the cold kicked out the door. I mixed one part coconut oil, half a part olive oil, six drops each of eucalyptus oil, rosemary oil and peppermint oil and six capsules of vit. E together in a glass container and we put it on our chests and under our noses every night on top of taking tons of vit. C. I also tried Goot, but didn't have as much success with it until we started using the above recipe--what we called the homemade mentholatem. I may have put tea tree oil in too, but I don't remember. I am so relieved to have that cold gone :)

Offline Rikki

• Adept
« Reply #245 on: November 07, 2007, 08:10:57 AM »
I had to share my amazing results last night! My dd (4 and a half) and my ds (2) both have been sick this past week with cough, congestion mess. They showed a TON of improvement yesterday from me giving them Lobelia every 3 hrs. Of course night time is always the worse and I rub them down with a homemade rub -- peppermint and eucalyptus oil mixed with coconut oil and my son immediately fell asleep. My dd was exhausted and would doze off but start coughing, and coughing and COUGHING!! AAAHHHH!! I took her shirt off and rubbed her down again -- her chest, back and feet.... but the poor thing could not go 2 minutes without coughing. She would doze, then cough, doze, cough...anyway after about 20 min I finally got up and got her some Valerian tincture -- she took almost a tsp and IMMEDIATE results!! It was AMAZING!! Not one more cough! I was in shock, and so thankful--- so maybe it will work for someone else? Just had to share my amazing Valerian story.... ;D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #246 on: November 08, 2007, 07:25:15 AM »
I had to share my amazing results last night! My dd (4 and a half) and my ds (2) both have been sick this past week with cough, congestion mess. They showed a TON of improvement yesterday from me giving them Lobelia every 3 hrs. Of course night time is always the worse and I rub them down with a homemade rub -- peppermint and eucalyptus oil mixed with coconut oil and my son immediately fell asleep. My dd was exhausted and would doze off but start coughing, and coughing and COUGHING!! AAAHHHH!! I took her shirt off and rubbed her down again -- her chest, back and feet.... but the poor thing could not go 2 minutes without coughing. She would doze, then cough, doze, cough...anyway after about 20 min I finally got up and got her some Valerian tincture -- she took almost a tsp and IMMEDIATE results!! It was AMAZING!! Not one more cough! I was in shock, and so thankful--- so maybe it will work for someone else? Just had to share my amazing Valerian story.... ;D

do you know what else this can be used for?  just wondering if it has lots of uses to have it around for.
Valerian Root:  What, Where, Why & How (Much)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Hootie Hoo/the-beth

• Adept
    • The Beth Chronicles
« Reply #247 on: November 09, 2007, 09:04:14 PM »
My four week old DS has come down with a stuffy nose and a small cough.  I don't have the stuff to make GOOT, or a lot of other natural remedies.  What I do have is some stuff called Herbal Vapors.  It has "essential oils of camphor, pine, eucalyptus, sage, peppermint, rosemary, and wintergreen in a base of olive oil and beeswax."  Would this be safe to rub into the bottoms of my baby's feet?  I've also been using saline with him.  Anything else I could do to him or to me (I'm nursing) to help him? 

TIA!

Beth
"Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become." Pericles

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #248 on: November 10, 2007, 03:06:20 AM »
My four week old DS has come down with a stuffy nose and a small cough.  I don't have the stuff to make GOOT, or a lot of other natural remedies.  What I do have is some stuff called Herbal Vapors.  It has "essential oils of camphor, pine, eucalyptus, sage, peppermint, rosemary, and wintergreen in a base of olive oil and beeswax."  Would this be safe to rub into the bottoms of my baby's feet?  I've also been using saline with him.  Anything else I could do to him or to me (I'm nursing) to help him? 

TIA!

Beth

You can take things yourself for a cold and your baby will get  it through your milk.   I'm thinking garlic, probiotics, vitamin C......  I'm sure someone will think of more  things. 
                                                     Blessing's,
                                                         RB
Whatsoever things are lovely ...think on these things.  Phil. 4:8

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #249 on: November 10, 2007, 03:54:05 AM »
My four week old DS has come down with a stuffy nose and a small cough.  What I do have is some stuff called Herbal Vapors.  It has "essential oils of camphor, pine, eucalyptus, sage, peppermint, rosemary, and wintergreen in a base of olive oil and beeswax."  Would this be safe to rub into the bottoms of my baby's feet?

I believe that all those ingredients would be safe for my child.  I would feel comfortable putting it on a baby's skin.  I would also (If I had enough to try this) either smear some on a rag/kleenex or just leave the little container lid off  in his crib next to his head.  He is not likely to bother it at 4 weeks old and the vapors will be able to help him, too.

That's what I would do with your setting.
Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline Rikki

• Adept
« Reply #250 on: November 16, 2007, 08:53:16 AM »
Have any of you ever gotten one of those telephone calls from someone who called "just to chat and see how you are doing?" You're busy. You're tired. You're frustrated. But what do you say to the person on the line, "Oh, we're fine. There's been a little sickness, but we're over the worst of it."

Take it from a mama that learned the hard way. When those telephone calls come, be honest. Tell that person that you are tired and frustrated. Everyone has been sick,  you aren't taking good care of yourself, and the baby seems to be getting ill. Could they please bring a meal? Some homemade chicken soup?

Don't rob them of the blessing of ministering to your family. You may know someone that has been feeling unneeded and you didn't know it. This could be the thing God uses to confirm that He can use them -- and to bless your family -- all at the same time.

If it's shyness (or pride) set it aside and make the call. Tell someone that you need a break and then watch God meet the need.

That's my remedy and my $.02.

I was reading through this post and found this from SC -- I thought it was wonderful advice!!

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #251 on: November 16, 2007, 06:18:31 PM »
This is the best place I can find for this question.  My 14 month old son got sick at the end of August/beginning of September.  He had a lot of congestion and I used some eucalyptus oil to help ease his breathing when it was the worst.  Now, 2 months later the congestion is still not gone.  He hasn't been sick again, no fevers, bad coughs etc. but he is still really wheezy and has gunk in his lungs.  My SIL said he has "noisy" breathing, but unless he had some other problem to just watch it.  Is there anything in particular that I can give him to finally clear the junk out?

I have been giving him tea made with mullein, cherry bark, elderberries, and sometimes ginger and and tiny bit of lobelia to drink throughout the day for the past several days.  Today he was gagging during two of his meals and along with his food came a lot of clear mucus, but he still sounds awful.  I'm worried as the cough and flu season is coming that he will be more likely to get really sick with such a prime environment for bacteria to thrive in.  He is also constipated at times, it has been a huge struggle to get him to drink from any kind of container (he does seem to like the tea though).  This two month period also coincides with the two months that I've really been pushing table food as my milk supply has been decreasing and I got pregnant just about the time he got sick in September.  I'm still nursing him a few times a day, but I don't know that he is getting much fluid.  I've tried giving him an enema, but only once, guess I should try again.  Any suggestions?  I really want to get this cleared up!

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #252 on: November 16, 2007, 06:26:08 PM »
Constipation and respiratory congestion are directly related (ABC Herbal).  You might consider treating him for constipation first through permanent dietary changes and increased fluids, but an enema or baby glycerin suppository would be ok for immediate relief.  You might then consider the lobelia treatment for gunky lungs:  a cup of peppermint tea to relax the stomach followed by repeated doses of lobelia until he clears his lungs through vomiting.

In the Lung Cleansing thread: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,12182.msg114085.html#msg114085

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #253 on: November 16, 2007, 07:48:20 PM »
This is the best place I can find for this question.  My 14 month old son got sick at the end of August/beginning of September.  He had a lot of congestion and I used some eucalyptus oil to help ease his breathing when it was the worst.  Now, 2 months later the congestion is still not gone.  He hasn't been sick again, no fevers, bad coughs etc. but he is still really wheezy and has gunk in his lungs.
. . .
He is also constipated at times, it has been a huge struggle to get him to drink from any kind of container (he does seem to like the tea though).  This two month period also coincides with the two months that I've really been pushing table food as my milk supply has been decreasing and I got pregnant just about the time he got sick in September.  I'm still nursing him a few times a day, but I don't know that he is getting much fluid.
The portions of your post above make me think that something in your son's diet is too complex for his body to digest. Also, the lack of fluids will contribute to the constipation and will also lead to the congestion.

I would look for ways to up his fluid intake and limit it to filtered water, breast milk, & an herbal tea without any sweeteners other than something natural like maple syrup, honey, stevia, etc. I would avoid processed sugar and fruit juices.

Secondly, I would simplify his diet. Look for whole foods, mashed, ground or chopped. I would eliminate processed foods, spicy foods, etc. I would go back to one to three foods that I knew he liked (eggs, rice & beef?) and then gradually introduce a new food every four days. In this way, you'll KNOW if a food is triggering the congestion. For the time being, I would eliminate milk and milk products until the congestion has stopped. Once it has subsided, you can do a test run to be sure that isn't causing the difficulty.

You're right to be concerned. This could lead to sinus and ear infections if allowed to continue. Poor little!  :'(
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #254 on: November 17, 2007, 10:18:09 AM »
Thanks DHW and SC!  I think the lack of fluids has been a huge problem.  He is a very different baby from the first 4 as far as eating and drinking goes.  He is much pickier and it has been hard to find something that he will drink from and not just chew it.  Teething is probably causing part of the congestion as well.

His diet is pretty simple, he has tried some of the food that we eat, but not as much as my other kids would eat at this age.  I haven't given him much dairy since I know it will make the mucus worse, though he does love cheese.  The standard foods that he eats are oatmeal, unsweetened applesauce, gr. beans, pumpkin, avocado, tomato, banana, whole wheat toast (not homemade, but doesn't contain corn syrup).  He sometimes eats cheese, corn, pineapple, yogurt, and peanut butter on toast.  He doesn't have much meat at all.  Occasionally he has other things, but not in large amounts at all.  We don't eat much sugar and I use stevia in the tea to sweeten it.  I don't know that any of those things would cause a problem normally, but it isn't normal to have this congestion either.

I think I will try using lobelia suggested in the lung cleaning thread.  It seems a little drastic, but I don't know what else to do.  Thanks!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #255 on: November 17, 2007, 05:32:02 PM »
Just found this page and thought it had some helpful tips:

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/bookshelf/Books/15/93.cfm

Offline Rikki

• Adept
« Reply #256 on: November 18, 2007, 06:35:01 AM »
Do you avoid RAW milk when congestested as well? With all the enzymes, vitamins, etc, I wasn't sure! Raw milk is so good for your immune system I wasn't sure if it would help or hinder. My dd has a lingering cough and a bit of congestion. I know to avoid sugar and processed dairy, but all my research on raw milk says how awesome it is for you....? any thoughts?

Offline strawberry

• Learning
    • free range press
« Reply #257 on: November 18, 2007, 09:05:08 AM »
Re: the onion/honey syrup, do you strain the onions out & put the liquid in the fridge?
mama of 5

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #258 on: November 18, 2007, 11:26:27 AM »
Do you avoid RAW milk when congestested as well? With all the enzymes, vitamins, etc, I wasn't sure! Raw milk is so good for your immune system I wasn't sure if it would help or hinder. My dd has a lingering cough and a bit of congestion. I know to avoid sugar and processed dairy, but all my research on raw milk says how awesome it is for you....? any thoughts?
Milk will increase your mucous and thus your congestion. So you will probably be more comfortable if you lay off on the dairy for a bit.  HTH!

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #259 on: November 27, 2007, 09:35:54 AM »
Once the congestion in the chest starts to loosen, how is the best way to get it out of a baby?  She's a little over one, and obviously doesn't know how to bring the phlegm up and spit it out, so how does it get out of her body?  What can I do to help her get rid of it more quickly?  Thanks for the help!
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #260 on: November 27, 2007, 09:39:30 AM »
Once the congestion in the chest starts to loosen, how is the best way to get it out of a baby?  She's a little over one, and obviously doesn't know how to bring the phlegm up and spit it out, so how does it get out of her body?  What can I do to help her get rid of it more quickly?  Thanks for the help!

Steam with Mullein, Elderberry tincture/tea, Slippery Elm tea/tincture (is that right?)..... and time.  ;)

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
« Reply #261 on: December 06, 2007, 08:31:01 PM »
Hello,
I would like to get some advise.  :)  I got a really bad cold last Saturday which is almost gone except for this bad cough.  I have to couch probably every min or so and it sounds like a "barking seal".  Usually I have to cough until I cough up some mucous but then a min later I have to do it again.  Can't really talk for a long time either because my throat is always itchy.  I take 1000mg of vit C everyday, including fish oil, prenatals, garlic oil, vit e, and sometimes cal/meg.  Not sure what else to do but I can't take this cough anymore.  >:( I'm 25 weeks preggo and don't want to take any overthecounter stuff, but I don't really have any of the natural oils everybody writes about.  (I probably should go buy some)  I'm just starting to think that maybe it's more than a cold.  ???  Please help! 
Oh, my nose is a little stuffed too. (mostly at night) :-\

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #262 on: December 06, 2007, 09:02:10 PM »
Hello,
I would like to get some advise.  :)  I got a really bad cold last Saturday which is almost gone except for this bad cough.  I have to couch probably every min or so and it sounds like a "barking seal".  Usually I have to cough until I cough up some mucous but then a min later I have to do it again.  Can't really talk for a long time either because my throat is always itchy.  I take 1000mg of vit C everyday, including fish oil, prenatals, garlic oil, vit e, and sometimes cal/meg.  Not sure what else to do but I can't take this cough anymore.  >:( I'm 25 weeks preggo and don't want to take any overthecounter stuff, but I don't really have any of the natural oils everybody writes about.  (I probably should go buy some)  I'm just starting to think that maybe it's more than a cold.  ???  Please help! 

Sorry you are feeling so yucky - that is awful when your pregnant and sick!  I really feel for you.
I've been coughing since last Thursday and I was getting worse in some ways, especially at night.  Herbalmom recommended Oreganol from North American something or other.  I went and got some at the HFS today and they also sent me home with some Umcka cold syrup (they said it would shorten the duration of this horrid cold).  Within 5 minutes of taking the Oreganol I was starting to feel a little better.  I have no idea if these are ok in Pregnancy but maybe you could look into it.  Hope you feel better soon.

Offline hodgy

• Adept
« Reply #263 on: December 07, 2007, 01:13:18 AM »
Hello,

This sounds like an experience I had once.  I didn't think I had pneumonia b/c I wasn't running a fever.  The doctor I eventually went to didn't think so either, but said if I could "produce" a sputum to test she would give me some meds if something showed up.  It took me about a week to produce something, then the doc went on vacation for a week,  but when she called(she is a funny little foreign lady) she screamed into the phone--you feel bad---you have mycoplasma pneumonia!  I didn't know about natural antibiotics then, but if I had I would have done the oil of oregano and probably olive leaf. 

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #264 on: December 07, 2007, 03:17:32 AM »
I have been struggling with the same thing, and I too am pg so I know how you feel, but I get this certain homemade cream. (cant get the recipe) my amish grandma used to make it. it is called "lungah fevah shmeah"  Lung fever cream. It works like a charm if you slather your chest and feet overnight, it loosens and brings up that awful mucous.  you have to get it from select amish stores in ohio. I stillhave from when my granny made it.

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #265 on: December 07, 2007, 04:20:28 AM »
Get yourselves a cool mist vaporizer (if you don't have one already).  They work wonders for coughs and sinusy stuff.  Just fill it up with cool water and plug 'er in while you sleep.  When the whole family has been a bit congested I have made a "sick room" out of the play room and put us all in there with a TV and little house on the prairie videos and shut us in with the vaporizer.  It REALLY works. A lot of the winter illnesses are exacerbated or even started due to the sudden dry air and the irritation that causes on the bronchial passages and sinuses.  The cool mist helps to break all of that up.  I would also advise stopping the garlic oil and using fresh garlic.  Just smash a clove and swallow like a pill or mince it up and hide it in a spoon of honey (which will also benefit you and make your throat feel better).  This always works better for me when I am actually experienceing symptoms - the garlic oil only works at first onset or BEFORE I feel sick.  Not sure why - probably something to do with the amount or concentration of the garlic.  Anyway - that is my 2 cents.  HTH

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
« Reply #266 on: December 07, 2007, 10:16:22 AM »
Thank you ladies for your replies!  To bad we don't have any Amish stores here in WA,  :-[ or I would have went there this instance.  :P  I did eat two cloves of garlic last night after coughing for like 30 min while trying to go to sleep and I think that it helped.   :)  At least this was the best night of sleep I got for the last week.  Of course in the morning the same cough is back.  >:(  I think I'll try to find my humidifier today, it should be somewhere in the attic.  ::)  I did call my midwife and she said she had the cough for 3 weeks  :o, and I should try some Benadryl.   Well , at least mine should be gone before Christmas!  ;) 

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #267 on: December 07, 2007, 12:56:21 PM »
Here is a Congestion Clearing Tea that will take you about 10 minutes to make. It is safe for children and pregnant/nursing moms. It is also very effective. You could make a pot of it and sip on it until your symptoms alleviate. With my children, I give them about 1/2 a cup every 3 to 4 hours at the first sign of a sniffle and it cuts through head colds, shortening their duration.

http://potterswheelschool.blogspot.com/2007/10/congestion-clearing-tea.html
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
« Reply #268 on: December 07, 2007, 02:12:36 PM »
Here is a Congestion Clearing Tea that will take you about 10 minutes to make. It is safe for children and pregnant/nursing moms. It is also very effective. You could make a pot of it and sip on it until your symptoms alleviate. With my children, I give them about 1/2 a cup every 3 to 4 hours at the first sign of a sniffle and it cuts through head colds, shortening their duration.

http://potterswheelschool.blogspot.com/2007/10/congestion-clearing-tea.html
Sounds great!  I will definetly try it tonight!  Thank you! ;D

Offline 1ofeach

• Adept
« Reply #269 on: December 19, 2007, 11:14:38 AM »
Get yourselves a cool mist vaporizer (if you don't have one already).  They work wonders for coughs and sinusy stuff.  Just fill it up with cool water and plug 'er in while you sleep.  When the whole family has been a bit congested I have made a "sick room" out of the play room and put us all in there with a TV and little house on the prairie videos and shut us in with the vaporizer.  It REALLY works. A lot of the winter illnesses are exacerbated or even started due to the sudden dry air and the irritation that causes on the bronchial passages and sinuses.  The cool mist helps to break all of that up.  I would also advise stopping the garlic oil and using fresh garlic.  Just smash a clove and swallow like a pill or mince it up and hide it in a spoon of honey (which will also benefit you and make your throat feel better).  This always works better for me when I am actually experienceing symptoms - the garlic oil only works at first onset or BEFORE I feel sick.  Not sure why - probably something to do with the amount or concentration of the garlic.  Anyway - that is my 2 cents.  HTH

Can you tell me a good place to find a cool mist vaporizer? The local drug store, maybe? (Don't say Wal*Mart! Don't say Wal*Mart! Don't say Wal*Mart!)  ;) Also, what's the price, you know, ball park.

TIA!