Author Topic: Weight Loss Support/Accountability Group  (Read 38500 times)

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
Re: Weight Loss Support/Accountability Group
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2006, 08:02:36 AM »
Well I will try to stop beating myself up that I have only lost 2 lbs so far.  I weigh a lot more than I should, so usually if I am trying really hard I will lose weight pretty quickly at first.  I am doing my best to be reasonable about it this time and make lifetime changes this time around.
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline LizaJane4kids

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2006, 08:28:20 AM »
I would like to join the weight loss accountability group, anyone need a partner?  I have been lurking for a while and this seemed like a great place to jump in.  Thanks.

Lisa ;D

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
    • Cloth Alternatives for Women
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2006, 10:26:10 AM »
Thought I'd check in today... I only did the carbohydrate fast for one week... I did pretty well with it and it definitely changed my sugar cravings. The first two days I wanted something sweet about every 7 minutes! I reintroduced carbs after a week and now I am just avoiding sweets in general. This has gone well too and my "No thank you" skills are getting a workout. But, I just tell people that I'm not eating sugar right now and everyone seems to respect that.
I don't know how I'm doing as far as weight loss, but I am feeling better for sure and happy to be working on the sugar addiction!
It sounds like y'all are doing well... keep at it girls.

"Self dicipline is simply knowing what you want"
Every Day You Save My Life

Offline vinniesgirl

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2006, 02:48:04 PM »
Okay, no one shoot me, but I only need to lose like 10lbs. It doesn't seem like much compared to some of you, I know, but I gained 50 with each baby and I think that these last 10 are really important.  Obesity runs rampant in both sides of my family and I really don't want to become complacent with a few extra pounds. I think they are the building blocks of having a major problem.   It's mostly leftover babyweight stuff. Baby is 8mo old now and this stuff is still hanging around.  I don't think I would mind it so much if I was in better shape,like it was muscle,  but I don't get the exercise I should be. I have been having such a hard time with the goodie cravings...
 I would really love a partner though to be accountable to.  Not just losing the last of this spare tire, but in maintaining it which means lifestyle changes.   I don't mind if the other person's situation is not similar to mine as long as they don't!  I'm a 27 yr old mother of 3 so far...

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2006, 06:20:49 AM »
Ok, time for my weekly check in.  I began my lower carb diet.  I am completely cutting out breads and sugars...it has been hard so far...only three days but I am already down five pounds....so I am well on my way.

I hope to continue with cutting out breads and sugars for the remainder of the next two weeks.  Then I will begin to add in some lower carb fruits and whole grain breads.  Hopefully I will then continue to lose weight.

I have been using yeast assassin in conjuction with my low carb diet, and I have found that my cravings for carbs which normally would be out of control are now VERY easy to manage.  Doesn't mean that I am not tempted, because I am, but I am not so easily led astray.

I will admit that I am hungry alot....that is the part of this diet that stinks for me.
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2006, 09:18:21 AM »
I will admit that I am hungry alot....that is the part of this diet that stinks for me.
Make sure you've eliminated transfats(hydrogenated fats) and up your good fat (omega 3) intake.  This should help you curb your hunger.  There is very little limitation on how much you can eat if you eliminate carbs.  Eat, till you're full, but only if you're not eating sugar/carbs.  Eat Fat:  Lose Fat recommends about 2000-2500 calories a day. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Blessedw/3

• Adept
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2006, 03:42:03 AM »
Hi! I would love to have a partner for this. I am 25, I am nursing a 6 month old, and I need to lose about 60 lbs.  :o I am addicted in the worst way to Cokes and I don't have time or am too tired to exercise. Anybody willing to take me on? ;D
Wife to Gary, Mama to Joseph 5, Ethan 3, and Jonathan 8 months.

Offline Christal

• Adept
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2006, 04:11:37 AM »
Don't feel bad Pennie.  I am the same way.  I keep thinking I will get into things but by dinner time I have become overwhelmed with some other project and slack up on my eating rules.  Haven't even exercised once since we started this.  However, my 3 yo DD pulled out a Denise Austin Complete Workout (1 hour long) and did the exercises at least three times last night.  If that isn't motivation to get started.  This weekend is hectic; new client, visitors and opening weekend for deer season.  Our house is going to be like a deer camp so I hope to get started Monday.  ;D  I won't have visitors or sick MIL to use as an excuse anymore.  ::)
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me."  John 14v6

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2006, 05:33:08 AM »
Well, I am a two week loser.  But not weight loss.  I am right where I was when I started.   :-\ I am afraid I might be hopeless.  I have quit breathing this last week, just havent' been getting up early enough.  I plan to try and walk today.  I am not giving up but I pretty discouraged with myself.  Didn't even really want to update......there was nothing to really update........... :'(

Whew! Life must be pretty hectic if you don't even have time to breathe!  ;)  :D  ;D  You'd better slow things down a little there.   ;D 

Things aren't going the greatest right now for me either.  Life is really hectic with preparing for sil's wedding Saturday.  I am hoping that I can get back in the mode when that is done.  At least I am holding my own right now & not gaining.
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline Christal

• Adept
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2006, 07:11:09 AM »
Okay,  I think there are a lot of people not giving their weekly reports.

I am inspired by Penney and will give my report even though nothing has happened.  We just keep finding excuses to not eat right.  This past weekend was gun deer season so we hunted and butchered deer.  We were up until past midnight butchering Saturday and Sunday and up til after 9pm butchering Monday for a friend.  So to combat only having 5 hours asleep or less each night we ate junk and I even broke down and drank soda.  It helps me so much when I can't just go to bed but I am paying for the sugar withdrawls this week.  I have done good the last two days but am so tired from the sugar let down.  I even exercised this morning for the first time since we started this thread.  I am going to beat the blahs and excuses eventually, I have confidence.  :)
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me."  John 14v6

Offline lovetolearn

• Adept
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2006, 09:20:38 AM »
Here's my update for the week: not much has happened!  ;)  I have walked a few days which is an improvement from before, I've been eating less sugar although I know that no sugar would be best, I've been drinking my water but I have no idea whether I've really lost any weight or not.  I am weighing myself regularly but I seem to fluctuate b/t 2 pounds- one day they're gone, the next day they're back.  Anyway, I've been reading Lose it for Life as someone mentioned on this thread and it's been very insightful so far.  I side a little more with Sally Fallon on the nutrition stuff (better to have real stuff than "fat free" stuff that's using chemicals,etc. to make it fat free) but otherwise I've seen a lot of wisdom in the book.  It's caused me to look inward at the cause for my weight which is really what I want to solve.  Still find myself gravitating toward sweets and junk food so I guess that's my next hurdle to tackle.  :-[

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2006, 09:32:41 AM »
Hi! I also would like an accountability partner. Someone said to post a "bump" message. Whats that? Does anyone still need a partner? I need to lose about 50 pounds! Its a long haul but I need to do it before I get prego again!! I have 3 kids, each 15 months apart and my newest is 2 months old. That gives me about 4 months. I would like to lose as much as possible b4 I get pregnant. (50 lbs in 4 months is not really reasonable I guess  :P)  Anyone up for a partner???
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 09:34:37 AM by savedbygrace »

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2006, 10:04:40 AM »
I guess I will check in also.  My life has been crazy, crazy, crazy lately so it has been a struggle. 
I am still doing the water cure, but getting in any exercise has been a challenge.  I am hoping to get on the ball with that after Thanksgiving.  I got the book Eat Fat Lose Fat in the mail Tuesday & have gotten in 6T. of coconut oil in since then.  I had no idea that I was supposed to eat that much, but you are if you weigh over 180.  It hasn't been bad at all, it is especially good in my chai tea.  Before that I was getting 2-3 T. like I thought that I was supposed to.  Since upping it to 6 T. I have already lost 3 lbs.  I am not completely following the diet in the book, just focusing on the coconut oil, cod liver oil, raw milk & trying to add coconut in here & there.  We already eat mainly NT anyways.  I really do think this "diet" is going to work for me.  Just thought I would let you know how things are going for me.  I will pray that all of you are successful in your weight loss endeavours.

Offline Lydiaisredeemed

• Learning
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2006, 04:20:29 PM »
Okay, no one shoot me, but I only need to lose like 10lbs. It doesn't seem like much compared to some of you, I know, but I gained 50 with each baby and I think that these last 10 are really important.  Obesity runs rampant in both sides of my family and I really don't want to become complacent with a few extra pounds. I think they are the building blocks of having a major problem.   It's mostly leftover babyweight stuff. Baby is 8mo old now and this stuff is still hanging around.  I don't think I would mind it so much if I was in better shape,like it was muscle,  but I don't get the exercise I should be. I have been having such a hard time with the goodie cravings...
 I would really love a partner though to be accountable to.  Not just losing the last of this spare tire, but in maintaining it which means lifestyle changes.   I don't mind if the other person's situation is not similar to mine as long as they don't!  I'm a 27 yr old mother of 3 so far...
okay, don't shoot me either.  I need to lose about 15 lbs and get back to my normal weight of 115.  I've been too complacent with 130 and I know I am much healthier, leaner, and have more energy when I way what I'm supposed to weigh.  I am not a fan of exercise either (who is?)  and I also have a VERY difficult time pushing away the sugar.    I'll be your partner.  I'm almost 38 (ouch) and I've given birth to 5 children.  I don't think I'll ever get rid of my gut.  No one ever thinks I need to lose any weight, but the way my clothes fit tell a different story.

Okay,  here is a plan, tell me what you think.
1. let's try to drink more water, I know it makes you pee all day, but it does help in weight loss, purified cold water.
2. let's take 1 tsp. of pure organic coconut oil before each meal.  I know it sounds crazy, but after doing alot of reading on the subject, this actually will help our bodies burn existing fat.
3. if you have a trampoline, and any older kids, here is a good opportunity to bond with them by jumping on the trampoline with them.  15 minutes a day ought to do it.
4. this is the hardest one by far, NO EATING AFTER 2 HOURS BEFORE BEDTIME.  This is my big downfall.  Once my kids are in bed, that is the time I pig out.  Big no no.
5. I know eating all organic is just not budget friendly these days, but, even eating a couple of organic apples a day for a between meal snack.
6. I've read that eating 6 small meals every 3 hours makes your metabolism speed up.
7. If you can get your hands on some apple cider vinegar (even pills) and take them before each meal, I hear this helps too.

Okay, these are the only changes I will try to make.  I don't know if I should start now or just wait until after Thanksgiving when I know I will be pigging out.  Write back Vinniesgirl ;)

Lydia

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2006, 05:40:05 PM »
Lydia,
I would suggest starting now, otherwise it will just be a goal that you look forward to instead of actually implementing it (at least that is how it would work for me)

In other words, do you want to live your life with the guidlines that you have set forth?  Or is it only for your dieting phase.  If you are looking to make a long term change to keep your weight off, then I would suggest starting now, and taking a MODERATE indulgence for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

That is just my two cents....as a trying to reform habitual crash dieter.

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2006, 05:50:36 PM »
Pennie, it may not be as strong, but it will still get you the health benefits of the oil. Enjoy, coconut cream is tasty!  I get my info from the Eat Fat Lose Fat book, and they recommend changing up your sources of coconut oil, from the plain oil, to the coconut cream, to raw coconut milk.

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2006, 06:35:57 PM »
No problem :)

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2006, 07:05:18 PM »
thought I'd check in here as well...

I have pretty much stopped eating candy at work (a BIG thing for me) but I'm still noshing on cookies in the break room (my big downfall). I still drink 3-4 cans of diet soda (I know, I know!) the days of the week that i work and within the next month I'd like to just drink water. I'm not exercising really at all, and I would like to do at least 10 minutes a day of strengthening exersises and stretching each day. I'm pretty good on eating healthy foods for the rest of it, eating veggies and fruits as much as our lifestyle/budget will allow.

When we started this thread my weight was starting to bump back up agian, but since my week without sugar and the subsequent healthier eating (I really was eating a lot of candy) it has settled back down to where I started. Now, I feel like I can start moving forward. I'm really praying that God will help me to have a healthy attitude towards food and eating.  I can't wait to check in next week.

Offline Lydiaisredeemed

• Learning
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2006, 02:50:28 PM »
Lydia,
I would suggest starting now, otherwise it will just be a goal that you look forward to instead of actually implementing it (at least that is how it would work for me)

In other words, do you want to live your life with the guidlines that you have set forth?  Or is it only for your dieting phase.  If you are looking to make a long term change to keep your weight off, then I would suggest starting now, and taking a MODERATE indulgence for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

That is just my two cents....as a trying to reform habitual crash dieter.
okay, your two cents worth just busted me ;D  I'm doing the coconut oil part and apple cider vinegar part cuz that's easy.  but everything else is falling by the wayside a bit. (especially the trampoline part, remember me and exercise don't see eye to eye ;))  I like sweet tea better than water too, so drinking tons of water all day is hard for me to do also.  I wish I could be a MODERATE indulger, but I tend on the side of gluttony when there is alot of really good food that I only see once a year.  This is a hard time of year to lose weight.  Lord help me to stay focused.  Thanks for your advice.  you're right on ;D

Offline Lydiaisredeemed

• Learning
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2006, 02:58:18 PM »
thought I'd check in here as well...

I have pretty much stopped eating candy at work (a BIG thing for me) but I'm still noshing on cookies in the break room (my big downfall). I still drink 3-4 cans of diet soda (I know, I know!) the days of the week that i work and within the next month I'd like to just drink water. I'm not exercising really at all, and I would like to do at least 10 minutes a day of strengthening exersises and stretching each day. I'm pretty good on eating healthy foods for the rest of it, eating veggies and fruits as much as our lifestyle/budget will allow.

When we started this thread my weight was starting to bump back up agian, but since my week without sugar and the subsequent healthier eating (I really was eating a lot of candy) it has settled back down to where I started. Now, I feel like I can start moving forward. I'm really praying that God will help me to have a healthy attitude towards food and eating.  I can't wait to check in next week.

please please please do NOT drink any diet soda.  Nutrasweet is one of the deadliest products on the market.  It is actually wood alcohol, which when it goes above 85 degrees converts in formeldehyde.  it is sooooooooo bad for you.  There was so much bribery involved in the 70s and 80s when aspartame was being developed, it should never have been put on the market.  It is a fact that it causes headaches, brain tumors, and it causes the cells in your body to hold on to the weight.  Not only that, it causes you to really crave sugars in a bad way.  That being said, just drink regular soda, if you just have to have a soda, it is so much better for you than diet soda.  I don't want you to have health problems that may not be noticed now, but those toxic chemicals don't leave your body.  okay.  I had to say that.  forgive me for sounding so drastic ;)

Offline gasoline81

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2006, 05:40:37 PM »
Hey to all! i am new at this, actually this is my first logging on to this sight..i have heard from many people that this is a good website to check out, and they were right..i would love to become part of this group, and encouragement on getting some of my extra punds off...accountability groups are a very good idea...

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2006, 06:43:51 PM »
Hi Lydiaisredeemed,

Thanks for the advice. It doesn't actually sound drastic to me... I know I need to make some drastic changes. I did FINALLY find a travel mug for work which I think is virtually spill proof so now I'm trying to drink herbal tea. (I work in a medical office so it would be devastating to spill on my desk, however I'm talking a lot so I then get a really dry mouth). Thanks for your admonition!!! It really actually encouraged me!!!

Offline skinnycarlene

• I want to be what my husband sees
  • Wide Eyed
  • John 3:30 -- HE must increase, but I must decrease
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2006, 10:52:00 AM »
I would love to begin an accountability program with some who have about 15-20 pounds to lose.  I'm in the same situation.  I'm 27 and 5'3'' with a current weight of 150.  I don't want to use a diet program, exactly.  I just want to eat healthy, nutritious foods that will "do my body good".  I have lost weight in the past (after the birth of my second child) just by making the smart choices for my body and by exercising with Taebo.  Now after #4, the weight is back and uglier than ever.  I'd really like to lose at least half of the weight by the middle of January when my husband comes home for a few weeks.  He is in the military, fighting for MY freedom in a foreign land.    I really just want to do what's right for my body.  So much of what I put into my body does NOTHING for it!  I want to be healthy and fit.  I want to be able to run and play with my children (ages 7-10 monts) without huffing and puffing like the big bad wolf!  I have heard of a product that can jumpstart a weightloss program by "flushing the fat".  Has anyone heard of this, whether good or bad??  Would it be something to use or not??  I can't wait to get started!!!!!!
Romans 6:14--For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Offline skinnycarlene

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2006, 04:58:40 AM »
I'd love to be included, but am new at this message board thing.  I tried to sign up to start this but when I view the message board I'm the last one to reply.  I can't seem to get it past my posting.  Am I doing something wrong ???    The last posting I saw before mine was dated the middle of November.  Did everyone go somewhere else or what happened??? 
I'm not that computer illiterate.  I can hold my own.  I'm just not getting past a hump.  HELP!!!!!    Signed, Confused in the Carolinas???
Romans 6:14--For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2006, 05:16:39 PM »
Hi Skinnycarlene! Thats pretty funny that you came to the weight loss post being "Skinny Carlene" and all! hehe I came in the game late too. Do you still want a partner? I need to lose a lot more than you do though! I am going to start with a cleanse as soon as this new year rolls around. About the computer thing... you were just the last one to post! You didn't do anything wrong. Every new post pops the topic up to the top of the home page but it can quickly move down the line when a lot of people are on here! Maybe we are the only ones left who do not have an accountability partner!

Offline skinnycarlene

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2006, 06:31:09 PM »
Hi savedbygrace!  Great to hear from someone out there.  I do not have an accountability partner as of yet.  But you can definitely be that partner, if you want.  "skinnycarlene"..... wishful thinking.  Some people would consider me skinny but they don't see me without clothes.  I have to tell you, just posting on this board has been helpful to me.  Ever since that first time I posted, I have been much more conscious of what goes into my mouth.  And a lot more devoted to exercising!   I can't find it at the moment but somewhere amongst all these postings is the phrase, "nothing tastes as good as thin feels" !   Remembering that little saying has helped me these past few days.  When I'm tempted to eat another cookie or that second helping of spaghetti, I remember what it was like when I had lost weight before and I can walk away, happily! 
Hope to hear from you soon and get ourselves started on that downward trek! 
Because HE first loved me!!

Offline OneMaster

• Adept
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2007, 12:24:45 PM »
Well, I just read the 4 pages of posts, and I want in :D  But the last post was December 18.  Anyone out there still doing this?
"I am your sunny day, Mama!" Joey, age 2.

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2007, 12:44:37 PM »
Hey, Onemaster.  I'd kinda like to be "in", too.  ;)  I don't know how the others are doing it.  Are they sending personal messages?  I'd like an accountability partner.  So, if you aren't picky, maybe we could help each other.   I'm 5'4" and currently about 130 lbs.  I'd like to get down to my normal of 120 or less.  I'm still trying to lose some baby weight.  You know, this is a crazy question, but would taking Supermoms cause you to lose the weight slower?  I thought I read on here somewhere that one lady lost her baby weight slower while taking Supermoms.  Could be I'm just getting older and it's harder to lose.  My husband is into bodybuilding and has a fat calibers.  He helps me take my fat pinch sometimes to see what fat percent my body is.  Last I checked, I was 17.6%.  He tells me to watch the fat percent and not the scales.  ::)  I know he's right; but sometimes it's hard not to get down on myself when I lose two pounds and gain back one.  :-\  Anyway, it'd just be good for me to have someone I kind of have to report to.  :D  I'm mostly trying to eat healthier, smaller meals and drinking LOTS of water.  It usually helps, too, if I skip a snack before bed.

Offline OneMaster

• Adept
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2007, 02:26:05 PM »
Hey, Westernmama, sounds great!

I think we're in a similar situation, too, so that would be great.  I've just never struggled with weight before, but now after 5 kiddos and getting "older", I'd like to lose about 10-15 pounds.  I am 5'6" and 139lbs. which is actually 20 lbs. over what I used to be, but I think 10 pounds or so would put me just right since I was highly athletic before babies.

I, too, am taking Supermoms.  I don't know if they would slow down weight loss, but I do know that I seem to carry more weight the healthier I eat!  That's another reason I don't feel a need to get back to pre-baby weight.  In some ways I am probably healthier now than before.

Exercise is one thing I really need.  We live in the country, so there is plenty of firewood hauling, gardening, etc, but I don't have a road to walk on, access to a track or gym, or anybody nearby to join me, for that matter!

I am also nursing still, so I haven't wanted to try anything like a Master Cleanse yet.  I think your idea of not snacking before bed is a good one ;D  I have decided that when my body is tired, if I don't sleep, I'll eat to give it energy.  I should just go to bed!

Well, we can PM each other, if you would like!  Thanks!
"I am your sunny day, Mama!" Joey, age 2.

Offline mamasboys

• Adept
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2007, 02:34:41 PM »
I'm so glad this subject got bumped up!!  I just had my 4th baby 2 mos ago and I need to lose weight  :-\
I'm 5'7 and about 175lbs.  I was 155 when I got pg and so I would like to lose 20 lbs to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight but my ultimate goal would be my wedding weight which was 130lbs.  
I don't know how realistic that is after having 4 kids, but after I get to 155 I'd like to take it in 5lb increments and see where my body feels is a healthy weight.  
I'm nursing and homeschooling and a registered chocoholic!  I have a treadmill here at home which just stares me down and is a constant source of guilt!  
Anyone else in a similiar place who would like to partner with me??  Or anyone from the previous posts that would let me join your group??
BTW, how is everyone from the previous posts doing in their weight loss journey??
Also, I should let you know that I'm a horrible dieter   ::)