Author Topic: Protein Shakes [Powders]: Recommendations & Recipes  (Read 49068 times)

Offline CountyCork

• Master
Re: Protein Shakes [Powders]: Recommendations & Recipes
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2007, 02:20:46 PM »
I use Biochem brand chocolate fudge whey protein powder.  It's my breakfast almost every morning.  Two scoops, 1 cup water, a handful of ice and a banana, all blended up.  It's 200 cals (with banana) and keeps me happy all morning.  Gives me tons of energy.   I've found that starting the day with a protein shake keeps me from eating sweet carbs for breakfast or snacks in the morning.  Plus it's super fast!  And I can drink it while I move around with kids and such.
YES, it has helped me with weight loss.  Protein lasts longer in your system, keeping you full.  PLUS, it is great when preg and nursing when you need all that happy protein.

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2007, 08:06:58 PM »
Just wondering, I have heard so many people lately wanting to take protein shakes.  I know men take it to build muscle, but what is the benefit for a woman in taking these protein shakes?
K, so I stopped breastfeeding... so I can officially start my dieting!!!  ;D  I am wondering the same thing. What is the benefit for women with these shakes? Is it really gonna help me lose weight if I replace my meals with this??

That is what I don't really understand.  How can you lose weight, if it puts on muscle.  And just wondering, as I dont understand the concept of this, why if you are a woman wanting muscle, wouldn't you just work out so you can also lose the fat?  I can understand (kind of) men who want to build bulk using this.  There must be more to it? ?

I definitly don't want to bulk up... I wanted to use it to replace some meals... that way lower my calorie count for the day & lose pounds... ?
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline Lauralee

• Adept
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2007, 03:13:18 AM »
I drink protein shakes for 2 reasons. One is that I need more protein in my diet, especially in the morning. Protein keeps you satisfied longer and doesn't raise your blood sugar. Secondly I take an essential fatty acid in liquid form and the taste kills me but I can't taste it in my protein shake.

Offline JeffAngie

• Adept
    • Our Joyful Living
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2007, 04:40:33 AM »
I use protein shakes as well and I am almost 7 months pregnant.  The end is finally within sight ha ha.  I do not use them faithfully every day like I should but I do use them.  I use the Juice Plus one and it is so good.  I have only put on about 5 lbs this whole pregnancy, that is unheard of for me.  It really has been very beneficial since we have changed our diet and lifestyle.  I lost 35 lbs before getting pregnant and my husband is now down 80 lbs from what he was at about 1.5 years ago. God is so good and faithful.  It is so true that if you are faithful to the faith, God is faithful to the faithful. 
If you would like more info on the Juice Plus shakes I have some I could email you just PM me.
God Bless,
Angie

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2008, 06:20:09 AM »
The label looks good but if you have to add sweetener (other than stevia) it would also add calories.  What would you guys think about something like this?

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=4557&at=0
or this

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=1786&at=0

and this one has tons of enzymes
I ordered some of this and it seems to have almost the same perk as SuperDad's but it tastes terrible.  I haven't tried the vanilla yet, but the chocolate tastes like stale cocoa and cardboard.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2008, 04:10:27 AM »
Has anyone tried the whey protein powder from Mercola?  it is pricey but is one of the few that don't have artificial sweeters.  Can anyone recommend a good one?  It has to taste pretty good, or it won't get used! Thanks!

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2008, 04:37:23 AM »
Has anyone tried the whey protein powder from Mercola?  it is pricey but is one of the few that don't have artificial sweeters.  Can anyone recommend a good one?  It has to taste pretty good, or it won't get used! Thanks!

Yes, we have, it's delicious!   Ex-specially the chocolate and strawberry.    We bought some over the time we were moving , and I was also pg.  It sure came in handy when we were so busy and needed something quick and easy.      I would mix it with milk/kefir in the blender with some frozen fruit, yummy!   It really was an amazing meal replacement.       ;D   For us it was worth the price. 
This is making me wish I had some!   ;D   
Whatsoever things are lovely ...think on these things.  Phil. 4:8

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2008, 04:51:29 AM »

Yes, we have, it's delicious!   Ex-specially the chocolate and strawberry.    We bought some over the time we were moving , and I was also pg.  It sure came in handy when we were so busy and needed something quick and easy.      I would mix it with milk/kefir in the blender with some frozen fruit, yummy!   It really was an amazing meal replacement.       ;D   For us it was worth the price. 
This is making me wish I had some!   ;D   

Wow that is great to know.  I have a teenage son who is a string bean and needs some extra protein.  My 17yo dd also has problems is she doesn't have a high protein breakfast, but she is always in a hurry to get to college that she doesn't always eat like she should and then get dizzy and queasy mid morning.
Does anyone else have any other brands that they are happy with?

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2008, 05:04:04 AM »
I think I posted earlier in the thread, but I have used BIOCHEM for many years.   I get the chocolate fudge flavor, and my recipe is:
2 scoops powder
handful of ice cubes
1 banana
1 cup water

blend til smooth

This is about 200 calories and it makes a complete breakfast for me!

No artificial sweeteners, and the taste is delicious!

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2008, 05:07:27 AM »
I think I posted earlier in the thread, but I have used BIOCHEM for many years.   I get the chocolate fudge flavor, and my recipe is:
2 scoops powder
handful of ice cubes
1 banana
1 cup water

blend til smooth

This is about 200 calories and it makes a complete breakfast for me!

No artificial sweeteners, and the taste is delicious!

where do you get it? 

Offline Ruby

• Adept
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2009, 01:04:04 PM »
Has anyone else tried the hemp protein shakes?  I was reading about hemp protein on greensmoothiegirl.com.  I'd never heard of the hemp protein powder, but I do not want soy and have felt better without dairy.  I'm curious about the hemp and need to try something.  I'm still nursing a 20 month old and trying to have another baby, so I need to add something extra to my diet.  I'm eating all I can, so I thought about protein shakes.  Any help appreciated!

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2009, 01:57:58 PM »
Has anyone else tried the hemp protein shakes?  I was reading about hemp protein on greensmoothiegirl.com.  I'd never heard of the hemp protein powder, but I do not want soy and have felt better without dairy.  I'm curious about the hemp and need to try something.  I'm still nursing a 20 month old and trying to have another baby, so I need to add something extra to my diet.  I'm eating all I can, so I thought about protein shakes.  Any help appreciated!
I recently used a hemp based one that I got from iHerb that also included green foods.  It was really a great product, and I plan on using it again.  This is a link:   http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=1565285039959590473and this is from iHerb's site about the product:
Description
Pea, Hemp, Rice with Chia Seed
A Complete Protein Rich in Omega 3•6•9
Barley Grass, Barley Juice, Spirulina, Wheat Grass, Chlorella, Alfalfa, Red Beets, Broccoli and Chlorophyll
Premium Quality
Vegan
A Dietary Supplement
Non GMO
Gluten Free
LifeTime Life's Basics Plant Protein with Greens combines Life's Basics Plant Protein Blend with Life's Basics Green Phyto Blend. This super food complex provides a complete range of amino acids by combining pea protein isolates, organic Manitoba Harvest hemp protein powder, concentrated rice protein and Chia seed powder (ChiaMax). The powerful Green Phyto Blend includes barley grass, barley juice, spirulina, wheat grass, chlorella, alfalfa, red beet root, broccoli and chlorophyll offering a higher concentration of phytonutrients than a typical serving of dark, leafy green vegetables. Spirulina, chlorella and blue green algae are superior sources of protein, chlorophyll, carotenoid antioxidants, essential fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. Alfalfa greens are rich in phytosterols and contain calcium, vitamin A, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, magnesium, iron, phosphorus and vitamin C. Red Beet Root contains the powerful antioxidant betacyanin. Broccoli is high in vitamin C and contains many vitamins and minerals.

LifeTime Life's Basics Plant Protein with Greens:

Provides a complete protein from pea protein isolates, hemp, rice and chia
Is rich in EFA's, amino acids, phytonutrients and fiber
Is a vegan super food protein powder with essential green phyto-nutrients

Offline tkmuskrat

• Learning
    • www.xanga.com/tkmuskrat
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2009, 02:42:59 PM »
anyone try Spiru-tein?
Our local hfs has a bunch of single packets that you can buy to try it. We bought some Spiru-tein whey since DH would be using for a meal replacement (the regular spirutein has soy based protein). It seems to be better than the slimfast he was using, just looking at the ingredients (I don't think he has tried it yet, as I have been sick the past few days and he has been left to tend to the kiddos  :P) but we did try it in a fruit smoothie, and it was ok in that.
Kristie M.

wife to Al, SAHM of 5

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2009, 02:49:34 PM »

We broke down and spent the money for this and it was very good!  We liked the strawberry and chocolate alot, but the vanilla wasn't too good, I ended up sprinkling it in things like pancake batter to up the protein content.  Well worth the money with NO artificial sweeteners.  It isn't as high in protein as the popular HFS brands, but those all have sucrolose in them!

Offline southmom2k

• Adept
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2009, 11:22:29 AM »
I recently used a hemp based one that I got from iHerb that also included green foods.  It was really a great product, and I plan on using it again.  This is a link:   http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=1565285039959590473and this is from iHerb's site about the product:
Description
Pea, Hemp, Rice with Chia Seed
A Complete Protein Rich in Omega 3•6•9
Barley Grass, Barley Juice, Spirulina, Wheat Grass, Chlorella, Alfalfa, Red Beets, Broccoli and Chlorophyll
Premium Quality
Vegan
A Dietary Supplement
Non GMO
Gluten Free
LifeTime Life's Basics Plant Protein with Greens combines Life's Basics Plant Protein Blend with Life's Basics Green Phyto Blend. This super food complex provides a complete range of amino acids by combining pea protein isolates, organic Manitoba Harvest hemp protein powder, concentrated rice protein and Chia seed powder (ChiaMax). The powerful Green Phyto Blend includes barley grass, barley juice, spirulina, wheat grass, chlorella, alfalfa, red beet root, broccoli and chlorophyll offering a higher concentration of phytonutrients than a typical serving of dark, leafy green vegetables. Spirulina, chlorella and blue green algae are superior sources of protein, chlorophyll, carotenoid antioxidants, essential fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. Alfalfa greens are rich in phytosterols and contain calcium, vitamin A, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, magnesium, iron, phosphorus and vitamin C. Red Beet Root contains the powerful antioxidant betacyanin. Broccoli is high in vitamin C and contains many vitamins and minerals.

LifeTime Life's Basics Plant Protein with Greens:

Provides a complete protein from pea protein isolates, hemp, rice and chia
Is rich in EFA's, amino acids, phytonutrients and fiber
Is a vegan super food protein powder with essential green phyto-nutrients

Okay, I just recently learned about hemp seeds!! I wanted to know if they are safe to take during pregnancy??
Want to SAVE $5 on your first order at iherb.com??
Enter KAN020 at checkout!

Check out my etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/southmom3kids

Offline Marisa

• Adept
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2010, 08:50:56 PM »
Pumpkin pie protein shake
4 oz water
ice
2 tblsp pumpkin (canned)
1 scoop vanilla protein powder-I like muscle milk