Author Topic: Weight Loss Support/Accountability Group  (Read 38526 times)

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
Weight Loss Support/Accountability Group
« on: October 19, 2006, 04:42:44 AM »
Hey all!

I know that without accountability/support, I have a difficult time sticking with any weight loss plans.  I also know that I would like to lose about 20 lbs and keep them off.

So, I was wondering if anyone else would like to be a part of a weight loss accountability/support group?  Hopefully we can compare notes and help each other reach our goals.

Anyone else with me?
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline DaddysHelpmeet

• Tanya
  • Learning
Re: Weight Loss Support/Accountability Group
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 06:54:25 AM »
I am very interested..Just let me know how things work..I need some help that is for sure. I am only 5'3 and I am about 40 pounds over weight. So, I am looking forward to any help available.

Tanya
Proud wife of 12 years and mother of 5 beautiful children. Esther 10 yo, Ezra 9 yo, Anna Grace 7 yo, Nekoda Joy 6 yo, Noah Faith 4 yo...No greater Job on the earth..

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 07:17:20 AM »
Here is an idea.  Each person's goal, needs, etc are very different.  Maybe whoever wants to take part could post a list of their specific goals.  Then once a week each person has to post again and specify how it is going, note any weight loss (or gain  :-X ) , mention any successes or failures.  Just knowing that I would have to post my failures would be enough motivation for me to not cheat!

Last week I would have jumped at the chance to have accountability to help me loose these last 15 lbs.  But Since I am now pregnant, my weight will be on its way up ;).

All the posts could be right here on this thread. Who ever wanted to could jump in whenever they wanted.  I imagine that it would be kinda hard to keep strict accountability, but each person could just be in charge of making sure they post eack week, and if they don't.... well, it would just be their loss.

I gor this idea from another forum, and it worked for them.

Offline Christal

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 07:27:04 AM »
These ideas sound great.  This is what I am looking for.  My husband has tried to hold me accountable but his approach is "You want to do it, just do it, what's the problem?  Why can't you leave the sweets laying on the counter and not eat them?"  >:( 

I want to loose 35 to 40 pounds and try to do my Beverly Exercise 5 days a week.  Beverly has a 30 minute program M-F on one of the SkyAngel channels.  She is in her 60s but can out do me on ab work even when I have stuck with it for a month or two.  I usually notice a slimmer appearance in just a couple of weeks with her program.  I also want to change my diet to get rid of yeast, so no sugar.

I think I should post at least weekly and more often if I am struggling.  Maybe we could also help those who slip up and don't post by sending a PM to let them know we are thinking of them.  :)
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me."  John 14v6

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 07:32:32 AM »
I agree, Mexmarr.  I think that the best way for us to do this would be for every person individually to decide what method they will use to lose weight, how much they will exercise, and how much weight they would like to lose.

I would like to restrict this thread to discussing ongoing weightloss goals/progress.  If you would like to find out what method might be best for you, we probably want to post that in a different thread, so that this thread will stay on goal.

Ok, so here is my tentative plan.

I would like to lose 20 lbs.

I work full time, so I know some of you will groan at this, I am going to do the slim fast plan with 2 shakes per day (breakfast/lunch) and a sensible dinner until the middle of November.

Starting in the middle of November I will switch my diet to a lo-carb diet.  I will allow myself to enjoy, in moderation, Thanksgiving and Christmas treats, but restrict them to the day of or the occasional special event.

Excercise will be mainly walking, with my goal to be walking 2.5 miles per day, four days per week.

This is my first post.  I will post back once a week with my progress on these goals and a confession of any deviations from the plan.   ;)

Christal, I agree, some PM encouragement might be just the trick for some of us to keep going!

Who else is with me?

Offline Bari

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 08:29:36 AM »
I was just looking over my No Greater Joy magazine today and saw this web site.  Yes, I would like an accountability group.  I have dieted or not dieted all my life and it always worked better with some kind of weigh in or check in.  I do have a program that works best for me.  It is Dr. McDougall which is a high fiber, low fat diet.   I have a hundred pounds to lose.  I am 5' 2" a 43 year old, stay at home mom.   I want to be healthy to see my children grow up.  I guess I could just put in a post every week to tell you if I am at 1 through 10 as far as staying on and what might be some setbacks for me as I go.  Then I might weigh myself once a month and give the progress of that since once a week weigh ins make me a little crazy.  If that would all work, I could set some realistic goals for every month and let you know (and I would love to see how others are doing also) how I am doing.  I hope this may be what I need to get going.  Thank you for thinking of it.

Offline luvbnamom

• Adept
    • http://my.tupperware.com/RJEFFRIES
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 09:21:05 AM »
Count me in!  I won't say how much I want to lose  :-[, but I can sure use the support!  I have a LONG road to reach my goal and I look forward to having support/accountability to keep me on my toes!!

I am currently doing a low-carb diet.  No sugar!  Water Cure!  (Praying for healing from PCOS!  Have heard low-card diet is good!) 

I started walking 1mile daily.  I'm hoping to up that to a 2 mile walk in November!  Also, am wanting to add a new breathing exercise video I just found.  I might throw that in every other day starting tomorrow!!! 

~Becca
Becca ~ Happily married to T & mommy to JJ 7 and JB 2~

Offline berthday

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 09:37:36 AM »
HELLO!!!
Well this sounds so interesting!
 I need to lose 25 more lb's. In the past 10 months I have lost 20 lb's. So my goal is to keep on keeping on ! low Glycemic,WATER,and trying to do some tabeo 3 times a week.  It really is a struggle BUT I feel so much better when I eat healthy and exercise! So yes count me in. I will try to post every week. THANKS

Offline nursegirl

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 10:00:59 AM »
"Count me in, too!" I say as I eat a double-decker chocolate chip cookie (don't ask).   ;D  Seriously, I've done very well for about 4 weeks on the South Beach diet, and lost 11 pounds in that time.  I've not done well for about the last week. 

Anywho, my goal is to lose another 60 pounds.  I need to stay away from sugar and refined carbs.  Late at night is my worst time; I am seriously tempted then.  It should be a great motivation to have to post my mistakes. 

Remember, girls, (and myself!) nothing tastes as good as thin feels!!!

Sarah

Offline patp

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 10:10:37 AM »
Count me in.  I need to lose about 35 lbs.  I eat really pretty healthy, but don't get any exercise.  My goal will be to exercise at least five days a week. 

I love the idea of accountability!!  When do we start?

Offline Beth in Idaho

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 10:51:14 AM »
What a great idea! I have lost 35 lbs since march...about 1000 calories a day...but since about Aug I have had a hard time continueing and with trying to eat healthier...ie..making my own bread and eating coconut oil...I think I am up a bit....Would like to lose another 25lbs...
I do try to strength train.....I broke my knee shattered really two yrs ago and have had a couple surgeries and it is put back together with nuts and bolts...so exercise is tough for me...as is walking in general...So hoping to figure out a way to exercise and get back to losing weight...for me it is so easy to gain....Beth in Idaho

Offline jjswan

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 11:17:44 AM »
I'd be in.  I want to lose 20 lbs.  And I have no will power and need accountablitliy.
Jaci

Offline berthday

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 01:40:07 AM »
SOOOOOOO, This week was not good!! I did not exercise and my weight stayed the same( go figure). Am starting afresh this week. You know if we all prayed for each other it would probably go a lot smoother!!
Thanks

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 02:02:02 AM »
I agree, prayer might be the best thing that we can ask for.  I have been sticking pretty well to my plan, but my weight has not decreased this week.  It is important to keep persevering even though we don't see immediate results...it is that sort of giving up quickly that got me in this situation in the first place.

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 02:30:37 AM »
Count me in too!  I have been struggling for a little over a year now, I did lose aobut 35 lbs, but I have gained back 10 of that.  I need to lose another 70 lbs.  We plan on getting pregnant with #4 around May, so I probably won't make it before then, but I sure hope to be well on my way.  I have done this once before, after the birth of #1 I lost 111 lbs.  I was skinny for the 1st time in my life, and swore I would never go back, but here I am.  I gained 80 lbs with pregnancy #3.  I thank God every day for my slim, handsome hubby who thinks I am beautiful and loves me just the way I am.  I wasn't exactly a lightweight when we dated and married though, my wedding dress was size 18.  The thing he does love is that when I was thin I was so much more comfortable and happy with MYSELF!  I would appreciate your prayers SO much as I attempt to shut my mouth and start walking.   ;)
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 02:31:47 AM »
Welcome Linemansgirl.  We are glad to have you along.  :)

Offline berthday

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2006, 09:17:40 AM »
  I have done this once before, after the birth of #1 I lost 111 lbs.  I was skinny for the 1st time in my life,

WOW!! How did you lose the 111 lbs???   You know you did it once you can do it again!! Will be praying for you ,I know how difficult it can be
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 01:51:27 PM by healthybratt »

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2006, 10:21:59 AM »
I ate a very unhealthful 600 calories a day of white flour, sugar etc. while I was nursing.  If I only knew then what I know now.   :-\  My will power is just very weak right now.  I just need to pray, pray, pray.  I have been trying to do things the right way this time, but I am a very all or nothing person so not seeing results FAST is hard for me.  I lost the 111 in 7-8 months.  I am eating healthfully now even if I am eating too much healthy food.  I am also nursing a 15 month old.  Exercise did really help me last time, so I need to put my walking shoes on and head out the door.   
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline seeker

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2006, 02:12:10 PM »
I know I am coming in late, but I need this accountability, too. I would like to lose 20 pounds and fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes.  It's hard to find time to exercise with homeschooling, nursing a 5 month old, and all of the other mommy/wife things I do. I hope to begin exercising on a regular basis once I get to sleep through the night. (I guess I need to let my 5 month old in on that plan) ;) She still eats 2-3 times during the night! Needless to say, my energy level is low, because I am very sleep deprived. Right now, I will try to focus on eating healthy meals, not eating/snacking after supper, and cutting out as many sweets and processed foods as I can. The sweets are the biggest problem for me.  I will go ahead and confess that the past few days have been bad. Too many cookies and cravings. Hope you ladies are having a good week.

Offline GarlicMomma

• Adept
  • My dd took this one in late summer in TN.
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2006, 03:19:09 PM »
Yes, I too would like the accountability for weight loss. I have a questions though. It seems like it would be hard to be accountable when there are so many posts everyday. It took me awhile to read what was already here.

Any ideas on how to make it a bit more personal?

Here is my story. I have been overweight for years. Last year I lost 25 pounds participating in a university calcium and weight loss connection study. Then we moved in May. Since then, I have gained back every single -sob- ounce that I worked so hard in losing last year.

So...

I am going back to where it worked for me before.

I need to lose first of all those 25 lbs again and walk everyday.

I lost weight before in the program by:
breakfast: 1 Slim Fast
mid morning snack: fruit
lunch: Slim Fast
afternoon snack: fruit + 2 TB nuts
dinner: 4 oz meat, serving of vegetables, one serving of carbs, and serving of fruit
evening snack: fruit + 2 TB nuts

And at the time of my program, I wore a pedometer. I had to walk 10,000 steps a day. That basically amounted to 5 miles. But I will be happy if I just get up and walk up and down the road a bit.

Currently I am 5'6" and weigh 224 lbs. I want to see 200 again soon like I did last year and hadn't seen before that for over a dozen years!

That is my goal....What is yours?

Offline kentuckymommy

• KentuckyMommy
  • Adept
    • The Path Less Traveled
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2006, 03:36:57 PM »
Count me in too!

I plan to lose 40 lbs. by next July---when my baby girl turns one! We eat whole foods and I have started to workout 5 days a week--currently on an elliptical trainer. I go for 30 minutes and then cool down with 10 minutes on the treadmill or stationary bike. I am using the mommy without pounds guidelines as they are whole foods based and am trying to incorporate some NT into our eating. I plan to check- in once a week for myself and to support everyone else!

Blessings to all!
Ashley, sweetheart to Jesse and mamabear to five little babes...Emily Grace (10), Jeremiah David (8.5), Joshua Caleb (6), Bethany Joy (3.5), and Jonathan Paul (14 months)!

Dear hubby scared Miah when we was 18 months and Miah told Daddy," You carin' me dad, you care!" Very cute!

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2006, 04:00:50 PM »
Yes, I too would like the accountability for weight loss. I have a questions though. It seems like it would be hard to be accountable when there are so many posts everyday. It took me awhile to read what was already here.

I had a thought, and maybe this won't work for everyone, but maybe we could break into smaller groups of two or three that would maybe email or private message each other in addition to posting on this thread.

I would like to be part of a smaller group/pair up.  Does anyone else think that might help them?

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
    • Cloth Alternatives for Women
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2006, 04:13:03 PM »
me too! me too!  ;D

This is such incredible timing. I've been struggleing the last year or so with huge sugar cravings and have absolutely been addicted to chocolate. I decided a few weeks ago that tomorrow would be the day that I would start an aggressive attack against yeast and sugar cravings/addiction in my body. I have 60 lbs to lose. This is my plan.

From October 24th to November 14th (3 weeks) I am going to eat a diet of mostly vegetables, meat, eggs, coconut oil, butter, and plain, whole milk yogurt, along with a probiotic. (This is to kill off the yeast, nourish my body, and break the cravings/addictions.)

Then I am going to slowly add back 100% whole grains, some fruit, legumes, raw honey, etc. I hope to never go back to eating candy, cookies, I would rather enjoy fruits and nuts and ww toast with butter, raw honey, and cinnomon on it.

Here are my stats.

I am 23, 5'7, 250 lbs. My goal is to make the above plan a lifestyle and to live healthier. I am also doing a very easy pilates dvd twice a week and some lifting some large baked beans cans to strengthen my arms. "She strengtheneth her arms and girdith her loins with strength" (i may have paraphrased that a little) I would like to wear a size twelve. I am very muscular so I know that I will probably never be super thin, but I want to be HEALTHY.

As for ideas... maybe we could share some of the things that really encourage us in all of our weight loss goals, also we could share why we want to do what we are doing.

My quote of the week: "self dicipline is simply knowing what you want"

Every Day You Save My Life

Offline lewisquiverfull

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2006, 04:35:25 PM »
My ladies group at church has done the "First Place" plan. It is not about dieting, it's about changing your whole outlook on your body to glorify God. But, one thing I REALLY liked/disliked about it. You wrote down everything you put in your mouth and you had a prayer partner who would look over your daily diet once a week. YIKES! I think if we would just read ourselves what all we put in our mouth! I know I would be sad by reading my own! Anyway, even if you don't have a prayer partner to share it with, let your husband read it. That would give me enough motivation not to pick up the candy bar!
 ;D

Offline seeker

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2006, 04:47:49 PM »

I had a thought, and maybe this won't work for everyone, but maybe we could break into smaller groups of two or three that would maybe email or private message each other in addition to posting on this thread.

I would like to be part of a smaller group/pair up.  Does anyone else think that might help them?

I think that's a good idea joyfullyhis. I plan on trying to encourage everyone else when they need it, but it does seem a bit more personal to pair up. I guess we could go to the Members List and e-mail each other that way, right?

Offline mamanabb

• Learning
    • purelightsoap.com
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2006, 05:01:51 PM »
I would love to join in on this thread as well.  My fifth baby was born in May and by her first birthday I would like to lose 20 more pounds.  I have lost about 20 so far. 
My plan

Power 90 on cold days
Walk/run on moderate/warm days 3 miles

Simple breakfast
Simple lunch
dinner with the family...
eating at a deficit in calories
increasing water
take my SUPERMOM's and garlic

I would be interested too in a more personal accountability as it does take quite a while to read all the posts. 

We started Purelight Soap Company out of frustration over the detergent-laden and synthetic soap products you’ll find at your local supermarket.
Treat yourself to Pure...Light...Soap!

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2006, 01:55:07 AM »
I think that pairing up would be a great idea!!!  Also, I would recommend the Water Cure to all who are trying to lose weight.  It helps detox your body and also helps keep you full, especially when you have to drink as many oz. as I do a day.  ::)  Right now I am 5'8" and weigh 230 lbs.  I shoot for drinking about a gallon a day.  A little bit over my quota, but I am also nursing.

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2006, 02:06:23 AM »
Ok, well anyone who is wanting to pair up just post briefly here.  I would like to pair up with someone.   I understand this is not the solution for everyone, but for me I think this would help.

Offline luvbnamom

• Adept
    • http://my.tupperware.com/RJEFFRIES
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2006, 02:41:00 AM »
I would love to pair up with someone/or a few someones.  I am 5'9" and am 300lbs.  :-[  Actually, I think I am a under, but will have to wait until the next time I need to go to the doctor.  I measure by my clothes and they are getting lose.  Also, my mil keeps asking me how much I've lost! :)  As I said early in the post....I would love support and accountability.  I have a long road so it would be nice to pair up with someone for this journey. 

I'm doing the water cure!  (It's been hard getting that much water down, but I'm pushing on!)

I just started walking and am trying to keep up to a mile a day.  I would like to see myself hitting 2 miles by November. 

I'm trying something like the South Beach Diet.  I've heard this diet is good for people with PCOS.  I'm just starting so I'm in the beginning phase.

Lastly, I just found my mil's copies of Stay Fit (?)....I would have to go look at the name to be sure, but it's a breathing exercise video.  My mom loves it and it has helped her alot so I'm hoping to get that going 3 days a week and then up it to 5.  I haven't gotten this into my routine yet!   ::)

~Becca
Becca ~ Happily married to T & mommy to JJ 7 and JB 2~

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2006, 02:53:51 AM »

Lastly, I just found my mil's copies of Stay Fit (?)....I would have to go look at the name to be sure, but it's a breathing exercise video.  My mom loves it and it has helped her alot so I'm hoping to get that going 3 days a week and then up it to 5.  I haven't gotten this into my routine yet!   ::)

~Becca
That sounds like something I have called Body Flex.  I really like it too.  You can see results in a week for real.  The first time I started it after a week my mom asked if I was losing(she could tell from my backside) ::)

I am 5'0" and as of this morning I weigh 148.  My GOAL is eventually to get down to 115 (wedding day weight)may never get there but it's a goal.  I would like to get down to 135 by beginning of Dec. (honeymoon I never had.  ;D)I would be able to be comfortable in my clothes that I have at that.  I could lose it really fast if I did atkins but my problem is I bake my own bread and tortillias w/ my own ground whole wheat and I keep telling myself it isn't "bad" so I eat it when really Ishouldn't.  Yesterday I did walk and kick with Leslie sandone and the core ball with the core ball guy mark something.  My OTHER problem is......still nursing at night homeschooling.......trying to keep the house clean.  All the same things you ladies are going through and I am TIRED.  While I know exercising is helpful finding the time w/ the guilt is hard.  I only did yesterday to see if it would help get the kink out of my neck so I dont' have to go back to the chiropractor.  ANYWAY..........how would we go about breaking into smaller groups?  My name or age or weight or height or what?   :)