Author Topic: McDonald's - never again!  (Read 26515 times)

Offline oneblessedwoman

• Adept
Re: McDonald's - never again!
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2007, 07:36:24 AM »
I think whenever I am considering eating fast food I am just going to read this thread.  That should fix it.   :P

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2007, 07:56:06 AM »
If we eat fast food, we eat chick fil a. I know what it's made of because my brothers used to work there. Also back yard burger is good. Only 9 grams of fat in chick fil a's fried chicken sandwich compared to 39 in MDS and BK.

Newbie here...this is my first post, though I've been reading WTM as a guest since it first got started.

We LOVE Chick-fil-a.  It's one fast food place I don't feel bad about taking my kids to.  They fry things in peanut oil, as opposed to the trans fat-laden stuff the other places are finally getting rid of (under pressure, of course, not by choice), they make up their chicken patties and nuggets daily, rather than heat up ones made up who knows how long ago out of who knows what, and they have real lemonade and iced tea (as opposed the high-fructose corn syrup stuff).  Add to that the Christian legacy (they still remain closed on Sundays), the clean restaurant and bathrooms, educational rather than movie advertising toys, and more.  Oh, and it tastes good, too!

We have 4 within about 7 miles or less than our home, so we have plenty of opportunities.  ;)

Offline jacksbluejane

• Learning
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2007, 08:22:47 AM »
hey ya'll. just reading this thread and found the msgs about the cravings for Mc D's during pregnancy. When I was pregnant, I CRAVED and could only keep down Long John Silvers, and only if everything on my plate was doused in the Malt Vinegar! i had to eat alone alot, cuz it grossed everyone else out :)

Offline Mamatutu

• Learning
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2007, 10:00:15 AM »
So, my dad (who is 60ish), has eaten at McDonald's everyday for ATLEAST 15 years, probably londer.  :o  For about ten years, he ate there 2-3 times a day. He has also smoked since the third grade. He is almost never sick. All I can figure is that he's been 'preserved' by the ingredients!    ;D
Stacey ~ Privileged to be the wife and helpmeet of my darling Daniel and devoted mama to four precious babes~ Micah Daniel (2/7/04), Rebekah Hope (9/8/05), and Eliahna Pearl (6/9/07), and TBA November 2008.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2007, 12:51:45 PM »
So, my dad (who is 60ish), has eaten at McDonald's everyday for ATLEAST 15 years, probably londer.  :o  For about ten years, he ate there 2-3 times a day. He has also smoked since the third grade. He is almost never sick. All I can figure is that he's been 'preserved' by the ingredients!    ;D

LOL   :D

I have heard before that Americans decay at a much slower rate after death then people in countries that dont eat as much foods with preservities in them.

Offline mxmom

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2007, 01:16:42 PM »

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2007, 01:26:47 PM »
hey ya'll. just reading this thread and found the msgs about the cravings for Mc D's during pregnancy. When I was pregnant, I CRAVED and could only keep down Long John Silvers, and only if everything on my plate was doused in the Malt Vinegar! i had to eat alone alot, cuz it grossed everyone else out :)

that's sooo funny!! with this one i craved jr bacon cheeseburgers from Wendy's and Frosty and Fries to dip in the frosty...mmmm....i couldn't keep anything down the whole day and and couldn't even make dinner for my family. my husband would call from work and i'd whine and tell him how sick i was and he say "it's ok honey don't worry about dinner" so imagine how embarrassed i was to call him back and tell him that i wanted Wendy's!! :D

crazy american fast food cravings!!

Offline oneblessedwoman

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2007, 02:11:32 PM »
You are making pregnancy sound so fun!   ;)  I can't wait.   ;D

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2007, 03:14:23 PM »
My FIL smokes and drinks coffee non-stop--I don't think he eats or drinks anything real--he is skinny and tanned and I joke that he is completely pickled inside and out from the coffee and tobacco.  :P
LKS

Offline rainygladness

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2007, 07:13:18 PM »
But all I wanted was McDonald's, no other fast food. Just strange to me.

The documentary/film "Super Size Me" reveals a similar situation--he begins to crave the food after eating it only a few days.  I think I heard somewhere that thre are ingredients added to their "food"(if you can even CALL it food!) that cause cravings in those who eat it.  McD's goes after kids so they can secure the next generation.  As for our family, after seeing that film we have found it easy to just say NO to McDonalds for years and haven't looked back  :)
Always remember you're unique - just like everybody else!

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2007, 06:50:01 AM »
We LOVE Chick-fil-a.  It's one fast food place I don't feel bad about taking my kids to.

I didn't either until I got on their website and read their ingredients.  ::) See http://www.chickfila.com/MenuItems.asp?MenuItem=nuggets6. Between MSG, sugar, soybean oil, & other weird preservatives & guess we won't be eating there again... sigh. Guess I should have expected it though.. I had decided I'd better go online and check out the few places we still ate out at occasionally.  :-\  Maybe if we start a petition or campaign or boycott they will clean up their ingredient list???
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

Offline SueZ

• Learning
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2007, 07:13:59 AM »
I feel sorry for all of you that don't live on the west coast and have never had the best burger ever at In-and-Out :

At In-N-Out Burger, freshness is everything. That’s why in a world where food is often chemically processed, prepackaged and frozen, In-N-Out makes everything the old fashioned way.
Our hamburgers are made from fresh, 100% pure beef. They are free of additives, fillers and preservatives of any kind, and we buy only chucks, the front ribs and shoulder. No other parts are ever used. Our butchers carefully hand-cut and grind the beef in our own facility at which point the patties are shipped directly to our stores in refrigerated trucks by our own drivers. This way we have total control over the production of every burger.
Our commitment to freshness doesn’t stop there. Our lettuce is hand-leafed. Our American cheese is the real thing. And we use the plumpest, juiciest tomatoes we can find. All of our ingredients are delivered fresh to our stores. In fact, we don’t even own a microwave, heat lamp, or freezer. We even bake our buns using old-fashioned, slow-rising sponge dough. And we make every burger one at a time, cooked fresh to order. 
Of course, what's a great burger without great fries? At In-N-Out, we know a french fry is only as good as the potato it comes from. That’s why we use the highest grade potatoes and ship them fresh from the farm. Then we cut them right in the store, one potato at a time. And cook them in 100% pure, cholesterol-free vegetable oil. To top it all off, we also make our delicious shakes from real ice cream. We wouldn’t do it any other way. Because when it comes to burgers, fries and shakes, getting fresh is a good thing.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2007, 07:26:54 AM »
Today I have been craving McDonald's chicken McNuggets. Oh why must they taste so good? It is like a diabolical ever dreaded heinous curse that the fast foods smell and taste so good.

Perhaps I shall have to singe off my taste buds and rip off my sniffer.

Or I could just go and eat some refried beans instead. Maybe when we crave stuff it is because of a lack of something? my lacking is probably protein since I don't eat dairy anymore and don't eat much meat. So refried beans here I come!

BUT those chicken McNuggets sure sound good!

Montell Williams had something very interresting on his show today about how what we eat makes us sick and or worsens conditions and how processed foods  are so very bad for us all.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2007, 07:51:26 AM »
I feel sorry for all of you that don't live on the west coast and have never had the best burger ever at In-and-Out :
Top Secret Recipe for In-and-Out Double Double
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2007, 08:13:47 AM »

Here is my theory about craving the bad stuff, when you change your diet.    When you start eating healthier....especially going raw etc....your body starts detoxing.....as it is detoxing...you are getting rid of the toxins in your body that you aquired when eating fast food etc, therefore some of the 'tastes" from these toxins, bad fats etc make their way up to your brain, recreating the memory of enjoying these foods.   What do you think?

Just a thought
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline Mom2four

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2007, 08:40:54 AM »
Very gross, but true.  My kids took a homeschool science class this year on Biblical Nutrition and Anatomy.  Their teacher is a microbiologist and a good friend of mine.  I learned so much, it was amazing.  She tried to do some "cool" and "gross" experiments to keep them interested (especially the boys).  This was one of the things they did - they put out margarine and a McDonald's chicken nugget in the sun (we live in FL), they also put butter and "real" chicken.  There were NO bugs on the margarine or the McDonald's food and of course ants and everything else all over the other.  She told them kids that bugs were smart enough not to eat poison, but people weren't so smart!!  Needless to say, we haven't been to McDonald's since!!   :P  We do have to have an occassional Chik-Filet nugget though.  I haven't put them in the sun, because frankly, I don't want to know!!  ;)

Offline hsink

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2007, 09:17:50 AM »

So true...we love In-N-Out...so glad that was the latest prize for the kids reading program at the library was a free burger from In-N-Out.  MMMMM.
I can't think about McDonald's food to long....blech..  :P

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2007, 09:21:32 AM »
But all I wanted was McDonald's, no other fast food. Just strange to me.

Could it be the MSG?  It is very addictive and if you are detoxing you may just be jonesing.           ~L

Offline Mom2FourBlessings

• Adept
  • East TN mountains are our backyard.
    • Kiser Ridge Farm
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2007, 10:36:51 AM »

At In-N-Out Burger, freshness is everything. That’s why in a world where food is often chemically processed, prepackaged and frozen, In-N-Out makes everything the old fashioned way.
Our hamburgers are made from fresh, 100% pure beef. They are free of additives, fillers and preservatives of any kind, and we buy only chucks, the front ribs and shoulder. No other parts are ever used. Our butchers carefully hand-cut and grind the beef in our own facility at which point the patties are shipped directly to our stores in refrigerated trucks by our own drivers. This way we have total control over the production of every burger.
Our commitment to freshness doesn’t stop there. Our lettuce is hand-leafed. Our American cheese is the real thing. And we use the plumpest, juiciest tomatoes we can find. All of our ingredients are delivered fresh to our stores. In fact, we don’t even own a microwave, heat lamp, or freezer. We even bake our buns using old-fashioned, slow-rising sponge dough. And we make every burger one at a time, cooked fresh to order. 
Of course, what's a great burger without great fries? At In-N-Out, we know a french fry is only as good as the potato it comes from. That’s why we use the highest grade potatoes and ship them fresh from the farm. Then we cut them right in the store, one potato at a time. And cook them in 100% pure, cholesterol-free vegetable oil. To top it all off, we also make our delicious shakes from real ice cream. We wouldn’t do it any other way. Because when it comes to burgers, fries and shakes, getting fresh is a good thing.

Now my mouth is watering and I am STARVING.. thanks A LOT!!  LOL  ;D ;D

I must remember this if I ever travel west.. are they anywhere else in the country they sound soooooooo gooooood..
Daughter of God, helpmeet to Joshua, mommy to four so far.. :)

Offline negeland

• Learning
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2007, 12:25:15 PM »
Just walked in the door from In-N-out after a day at the park. It was de-lish  ;D Mmmmmmm!

Offline hsink

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2007, 12:42:14 PM »
Now my mouth is watering and I am STARVING.. thanks A LOT!!  LOL  Grin Grin

I must remember this if I ever travel west.. are they anywhere else in the country they sound soooooooo gooooood..

I don't think that they are spread out to far. We are in California and I am pretty sure they are in Arizona. It is a privately owned business and they are not into fast growth from what I have read...come visit us:)

Holly

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2007, 04:33:38 PM »

Here is my theory about craving the bad stuff, when you change your diet.    When you start eating healthier....especially going raw etc....your body starts detoxing.....as it is detoxing...you are getting rid of the toxins in your body that you aquired when eating fast food etc, therefore some of the 'tastes" from these toxins, bad fats etc make their way up to your brain, recreating the memory of enjoying these foods.   What do you think?

Just a thought

Amen, couldn't say it better

Offline Mom2FourBlessings

• Adept
  • East TN mountains are our backyard.
    • Kiser Ridge Farm
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2007, 03:23:49 AM »
Now my mouth is watering and I am STARVING.. thanks A LOT!!  LOL  Grin Grin

I don't think that they are spread out to far. We are in California and I am pretty sure they are in Arizona. It is a privately owned business and they are not into fast growth from what I have read...come visit us:)

Holly

Hmmm now there is a thought.. dh says in 2 years when he is built up to 4 weeks vacation we are going on a 4 week westward bound trip.. he has been west, worked in Nevada dessert for a while and in Twenty Nine Palms.. maybe when we do that westward trip, I will look all you westerners up and someone can take me to get a GOOOOOD burger..  ;)
You all can also clue me in on the child friendly places, best sites to see and all the good local stuff. and if any of y'all come to TN I will tell you what trails to hike, where to camp, and where all the good mountain streams and waterfalls are away from the public and tourist spots...  DEAL??  ;)
Daughter of God, helpmeet to Joshua, mommy to four so far.. :)

Offline hsink

• Adept
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2007, 10:51:10 AM »
and if any of y'all come to TN I will tell you what trails to hike, where to camp, and where all the good mountain streams and waterfalls are away from the public and tourist spots...  DEAL??  Wink

Deal! Sounds great. My sis just visited TN stayed in a cabin and went hiking...they had a great trip.
Holly

Offline negeland

• Learning
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2007, 03:58:37 PM »
Good plan! When you get sick of in-n-out there is always Fatburger- yummy - but too much $ for everyday! NV is beautiful despite it's oddities  :-[

Offline JeffAngie

• Adept
    • Our Joyful Living
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2007, 05:23:12 AM »
I did not see this posted here a fried just emailed this to me and I thought maybe some of you would be intrested in looking at it.  They are really trying to kill us.

http://video.stumbleupon.com/#p=n958m4e44u

God Bless,
Angie

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2007, 05:34:34 AM »
I did not see this posted here a fried just emailed this to me and I thought maybe some of you would be intrested in looking at it.  They are really trying to kill us.

God Bless,
Angie

EEEWWW!!!  Thank goodness my kids hate McDonalds!
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline Kansas Girl

• Adept
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2007, 07:32:38 AM »

God Bless,
Angie

That is horrible!!!  Yuck,Yuck,Yuck.  -KG
having a baby" border="0

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2007, 07:57:22 AM »

God Bless,
Angie

Does anybody want to clue me in on what this says? It looks real t, but my super-slow dial-up doesn't let me watch videos.

Offline freckles

• Learning
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2007, 09:01:39 AM »

How can they have shakes made from real ice cream with no freezer :o :o
That said I drove 25 min just the other day to get one and with gas this high :o boy was DH glad I brought him back one. So was I  :o Can not stop the craving.
 ;D ;D Frec