Author Topic: McDonald's - never again!  (Read 26222 times)

Offline GarlicMomma

• Adept
  • My dd took this one in late summer in TN.
McDonald's - never again!
« on: October 18, 2006, 04:00:10 PM »
Here is an interesting tidbit I have learned recently........ I don't think I will ever again see McDonald's in the same light again! May never order there again either.

One of our guests has a close relative that has become a nutritionist. As part of a presentation, she would bring around a McD's Happy Meal. She carried around the same Happy Meal (cheeseburger and fries) for 2 YEARS! And except for drying out, it did nothing else in way of deterioration.

The McDonald's website says that it has pure ground beef in their burgers. But wow! Why wouldn't it deteriorate? Also, the bun and fries contain some soybean products. Interesting!

So I looked up on the internet for more McDonald experiments and found others. Here is one by the guy who did the Super Size Me movie. The fries from McDonald's didn't look any different after 2 months!

http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,228.from1145328553/topicseen.html#msg1317

And here is another site with their own self - test of the perservatives in McD's food.

http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/mcdonalds_exper.html

Nickole

Re: McDonald's - never again!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 04:14:25 PM »
Along these lines, we bought a van last year and found what appeared to be fossilized chicken nuggest in the pocket in the back of the drivers seat.  No doubt some kid put them there, and most likely came from some fast food joint.  They were so old - no kidding, they looked fossilized.   It was amazing, but also gross. 

Offline HeatherRose

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 05:21:59 PM »
Wow, great stuff!  I've heard that margarine will last forever on a window sill without flies ever touching it and that supermarkets put ultrapasturized milk in the refrigerator section even though it doesn't go bad.  It must take our bodies so much more energy and enzymes to break it down than live foods.

I'm in awe of how many people survive for so many years on junk food!  :o
It's incredible how people survive on very poor diets in places where getting anything to eat at all is a blessing.  I also love reading about traditional foods in Nourishing Traditions and other food history books because people did all kinds of out of the way things to enrich their foods without the benefit (?) of scientists, FDA, nutritionists, government food pyramids, double blind studies and disease research societies and foundations.  I don't have a clue how he did it, but God must have shown people what to do in their particular climate. 
Wow!

Offline Christal

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 06:00:40 PM »
The McDonald's website says that it has pure ground beef in their burgers.

I heard once that restaurants can advertise "100% beef" if a portion of the patty is 100% beef, even if that portion is only a very small amount of the total patty.  So if they include 100% beef in a mostly soy burger, they can advertise that their burgers contain 100% beef.  Again, I just heard this from other people, not from any published source.
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me."  John 14v6

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 06:20:02 PM »
The McDonald's website says that it has pure ground beef in their burgers.

I heard once that restaurants can advertise "100% beef" if a portion of the patty is 100% beef, even if that portion is only a very small amount of the total patty.  So if they include 100% beef in a mostly soy burger, they can advertise that their burgers contain 100% beef.  Again, I just heard this from other people, not from any published source.
This really doesn't surprise me.  Loopholes and politics.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 02:55:21 AM »
I just read a book last week on the dangers of fast food.  Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to make me stop going every once in awhile. ;D Hey, I like it.  But the beef used is from up to 2,000 different cows and it contains...poop!!  Gross.  :P Must be why the frequent E. Coli breakouts.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 03:27:31 AM »
I just read a book last week on the dangers of fast food.  Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to make me stop going every once in awhile. ;D Hey, I like it.  But the beef used is from up to 2,000 different cows and it contains...poop!!  Gross.  :P Must be why the frequent E. Coli breakouts.
That's why they have to add soy.  If they didn't, they'd have to cook them for so long to kill the e-coli, that they would taste like boot leather.

We get hamburger right off the cow whenever we can, and I don't have to worry about e-coli, so our hamburgers are slightly rare, juicy and delicious.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 07:38:46 AM »
We just saw the SuperSize Me movie last night as part of a presentation. WOW! A healthy guy and the 3 doctors say that a diet of Mac food isn't going to change him much and in 2 weeks they are telling him to quit because his blood tests, etc show that his body is DYING :o  Interesting documentary although I would advise caution in veiwing... It's not quite up to our standards of a good movie.
A book to read is Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser.

I agree we will never CHOOSE MacDonalds or fast food again. BTW we already felt that way before the movie :D

Offline Tech Serv Assistant

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 07:57:25 AM »

Healthy~ I think I read the same book. Was it called Chew on This: Everything You Don't Want to Know about Fast Food by Eric Schlosser?
If so, I did read it and it was disgusting! :P But, like you said not enough to make me stop eating it. ::)
"God isn't a mouse on strings. God IS the strings." - Marion, Bible Prof

"You know, when you look at the lineage of Jesus, it isn't too whippy." - Marion, Bible Prof

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 09:06:48 AM »

Healthy~ I think I read the same book. Was it called Chew on This: Everything You Don't Want to Know about Fast Food by Eric Schlosser?
If so, I did read it and it was disgusting! :P But, like you said not enough to make me stop eating it. ::)

Yes!!  That was the book.  I should have known Miss Library would have read it.  :D  And yes, quite a shame that it did not shame me out of a juicy Wendy's Jr. Cheeseburger and fries.   ;D

Offline Kansas Girl

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 11:14:11 AM »
Okay, I'm convinced.  I will never crave McDonald's again although I would probably still eat there if we are traveling etc...  But please don't tell me anything bad about Taco Bell!!!! ;D ;D ;D  -KG
having a baby" border="0

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 11:19:52 AM »
Yes!!  That was the book.  I should have known Miss Library would have read it.    And yes, quite a shame that it did not shame me out of a juicy Wendy's Jr. Cheeseburger and fries.   

That's hilarious!  ;D Sometimes my kids just need some exercise in the winter or on a long car trip so we take them to a fast food place. I cringe to think about it but it's nice to get them real worn out sometimes. I get them ice cream  :D. Seriously, I think the ice cream is better for them than the fries or especially the burgers. You can get teeny tiny kiddie cones at McD's for free, and then I get a yogurt parfait for $1.

I used to work at Chick-fil-A in college, and I will tell you that they did use actual chicken breasts. And they weren't cheap ones. My manager was cheap, though, and he complained that it was $3 a pound chicken, and that was 10 years ago.

Nickole

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 04:14:11 PM »
Okay, I'm convinced.  I will never crave McDonald's again although I would probably still eat there if we are traveling etc...  But please don't tell me anything bad about Taco Bell!!!! ;D ;D ;D  -KG

Me too - I can only imagine but I don't want to know!  That is the only fast food we eat.  And that is only in desperate times like when we are on errands an hour away (very common) and things happened and lunchtime happened.  Usually we pack lunches, but there IS always Tace Bell!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 06:16:42 AM »
But please don't tell me anything bad about Taco Bell!!!!

Actually, the meat used for taco bell meat is from the cheeks and lips of the cows.  Must be why it tastes so good!!  LOL!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 02:40:15 PM »

Actually, the meat used for taco bell meat is from the cheeks and lips of the cows.  Must be why it tastes so good!!  LOL!
Cows have lips?   :o
  My favorite herb book!!

Nickole

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2006, 02:44:58 PM »

I said I DON'T WANT TO KNOW!!!  Seriously, is there some reference for this? Now that I KNOW  ::) (thanks -  ;D) I'd like to read it for myself if you have a link or something, or just where you read it. 

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2006, 03:20:05 PM »
Cows have lips?   :o

HA HAA!! 

I said I DON'T WANT TO KNOW!!! Seriously, is there some reference for this?

HA HA!! LOL!

You know, I read an average of two books a week!!  I try really hard to remember where I read what.  I must admit that I can't remember where I read it, but I did.  I don't know.  Maybe there is something on the internet.  I do know that I read it in a book, though.  If I can think of it, I will post it.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 03:20:50 PM »
Urban legend "Gradely Mistaken"
http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/badmeat.asp
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline bzymom4blessings

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2006, 08:27:05 PM »
 :o eewww,  but not surprising. We quite McDonalds a while ago b/c I noticed when we ate there NOONE felt good afterwards. I would get a headache, kids all would get stomach aches, and be a little loosy in the caboosey, if you kwim! ;D

If we choose to eat out we go to Wendy's good salads, good baked potatoes.

Blessings
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 08:30:15 PM by bzymom4blessings »
As for me and my house we will serve the LORD!

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2006, 08:54:57 PM »
Gee, thanks, ladies!  ;)  About the only fast-food eating out we do anymore is Costco, and I'm pretty sure it's better than the other places!  At least I hope so!
Years ago, I was buying the processed cheese, already sliced, for the kids' sandwiches and stuff.  Worked good for grilled sandwiches.  Anyway, one day while doing laundry, I pulled out of the dryer a slice of cheese.  It must have gone through both the washer and dryer, but it was still intact!  It hadn't melted away, broken apart...nothing!  I suppose it could have been considered clean enough to toss into the next sandwich... :-\
I quit buying it and went back to the real cheese.
When I was taking a business class in college, we watched a film about some chicken company, and how they were expanding their products, making money.  One of the new products, made with the formerly unused parts, was hot dogs.  They showed this pinkish goo in giant troughs, and then a pile of salt got added to it.  Unfortunately, I still eat them, although my favorites are the REAL wieners.

Offline Charis

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2006, 07:40:22 AM »
If we eat fast food, we eat chick fil a. I know what it's made of because my brothers used to work there. Also back yard burger is good. Only 9 grams of fat in chick fil a's fried chicken sandwich compared to 39 in MDS and BK.
"Momma can I have some fruit? I think my body needs some vitamin C." -Madelyn 5

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 10:34:40 AM »
My natural path doctor recently put me on a very restrictive diet for only 2 weeks. I have craved and craved McDonald's. I have not eaten it in years and really do hate it, but now i CRAVE it. Why? Has anyone read what my body is screaming for and how to stop it?

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 10:45:06 AM »
Is your diet fat-restrictive? Could be your body wants some "grease" :D
Also I've heard that when you detox you can get cravings for the real junk :o

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 10:47:29 AM »
But all I wanted was McDonald's, no other fast food. Just strange to me.

Offline Janacat

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2007, 12:01:57 PM »
I was eating fast food all through my pregnancy. All I wanted were cheeseburgers. This coming from a reformed vegetarian. Of course, my 4 year old loves the Happy Meals, mostly for the toy. But, chicken nuggets are the choice for her not burgers. I think the nuggets are lousy. The first time I had fast food after giving birth did not sit well with my tummy. I know all the parts and peices are working their way back to normal, but I decided to buy beef patties and make my own at home since I am still having cravings. Plus, I became anemic after my c-section, so I need the extra meat!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2007, 01:50:22 PM »
There must be somthing in the meat.  I craved McDonald's terribly during my first pregnancy and up to that point, you couldn't pay me money to eat at McDonald's.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ILoveGodsWisdom

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 03:23:07 PM »

I USED TO WORK AT MCDONALDS AS A TEENAGER!  I DON'T EAT IT AND WON'T IT NOW THOUGH.  WHEN I CHANGED MY DIET TO PROMINENTLY A RAW FOOD ONE WITH WHOLESOME COOKED FOODS, I MISSED A LOT OF THINGS.

I FOUND OUT LATER THAT IT WAS MORE THE MEMORIES ASSOCIATED WITH EATING THEM!!  WE NOW HAVE BUILT NEW MEMORIES WITH OUR HEALTHIER FOODS WHICH IS GREAT.

But...I must admit...being pregnant made me crave all sorts of naughty things up untill the morning sickness finally resided.  When I was over the sickness I finally craved raw foods and green barley powder by the spoonful.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 03:29:08 PM by ILoveGodsWisdom »
Passport type shot of me and my 4 children

Nickole

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2007, 06:44:19 PM »
There must be somthing in the meat.  I craved McDonald's terribly during my first pregnancy and up to that point, you couldn't pay me money to eat at McDonald's.

I was the SAME way.  I craved all sorts of thing I would never in my right mind eat.  It was like I was a different person - I had NO concern for nutrition, I mean UNCONTROLLABLE desire to eat really bad stuff.  But it lasted my whole pregnancies, and no wonder I gain so much weight!  Then I have the babies and it's like my mind is back.  Totally weird. 

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2007, 07:57:35 PM »

So I looked up on the internet for more McDonald experiments and found others. Here is one by the guy who did the Super Size Me movie. The fries from McDonald's didn't look any different after 2 months!

I 100% agree with that.

I dont clean out my car as much as I should in the severly colds parts of winter because I dont wanna be outside in cold. So the car gets rather messy,  I have cleaned out my car and in the creases of the seats found very old, I mean mega old Mcdonalds french fries. They had no mold, no rotting away they were  just all dried up.

:-\

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2007, 07:31:30 AM »

I 100% agree with that.

I dont clean out my car as much as I should in the severly colds parts of winter because I dont wanna be outside in cold. So the car gets rather messy,  I have cleaned out my car and in the creases of the seats found very old, I mean mega old Mcdonalds french fries. They had no mold, no rotting away they were  just all dried up.

:-\
ME TOO!  GROSS! :P
  My favorite herb book!!