Author Topic: Cleansing [ Detoxing ] While Breastfeeding [ Nursing ]  (Read 73557 times)

Offline firecattx

• Adept
Re: Cleansing [ Detoxing ] While Breastfeeding [ Nursing ]
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2007, 05:33:55 PM »
I just recently received my order of Threelac, how many packets did you take a day?  I started with one and I haven't noticed any symptoms etc.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2007, 05:44:18 AM »
Ok, I've read thru this thread and I have not found what I'm looking for. I guess what would like, is for us to brainstorm about all the herbs and such that we know kill yeast and figure out whether or not they are safe to use while nursing.

For example....

Garlic
How effective is it against yeast?
In what form should it be taken?
Would it cause a decrease in milk supply?
Would it pass into the milk in quantities large enough to worry about?
If so, would it be harmful to baby?
If not harmful, would it cause stomach upset for baby? How much?

Pau d'arco is an antifungal, right?
(same questions)

Chamomile?

...etc, etc, etc.

WR
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 08:05:46 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2007, 08:06:09 AM »
BUMP  :)
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2007, 12:48:18 PM »
Ok, I've read thru this thread and I have not found what I'm looking for. I guess what would like, is for us to brainstorm about all the herbs and such that we know kill yeast and figure out whether or not they are safe to use while nursing.

For example....

Garlic

Pau d'arco is an antifungal, right?
(same questions)

Chamomile?

...etc, etc, etc.

WR
Garlic is strongest if taken fresh. You crush/mince it and let it sit for about 10 minutes to get it at its strongest. It should be fine to use while nursing and even if it does get to the baby it would be helpful and not hurt it. IF your baby got an upset tummy (mine never did) you could take it at the same time as you take Chlorophyll and see if that makes a big difference. Garlic is a carminative which means it actually helps problems like gas. I don't think it would affect the milk supply but I could be wrong. I know it will make you pee ALOT and sweat so if anything maybe it would make you more milk...just pondering that idea as I don't know for sure....

Chamomile is also very safe to use while nursing.

I wasn't sure about the Pau D Arco so I did some checking around. I didn't see anything saying that you should not use it while nursing. I don't know if it would get to the baby or not. I assume that most everything does get into the milk supply. If it was me and I wanted to use it I would just start out with a small dose and see what happened. If all went well then I would continue to take it. And yes, it is an antifungle and antitumor. The only thing I would be concerned about is the milk supply. I don't know how it would affect it.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2007, 05:52:00 AM »
I checked the info on Pau d'arco at the Bulk Herb Store, and it says that it is ok for nursing moms.

Any more antifungal remedies we can get all this info for?

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2007, 06:01:51 PM »
I checked the info on Pau d'arco at the Bulk Herb Store, and it says that it is ok for nursing moms.

WR

Natural Antifungals
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2007, 06:18:23 PM »
Of the things on that thread, how many  can we get answers to these questions for? And can we then put that info on one thread so that it's easy to find in a search? Before posting my original question, I searched WTM for a thread on fighting yeast while nursing and found that the info is not easy to find.  :-\

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2007, 05:30:15 AM »
I've been working on a tea that is safe while nursing or pregnant. I decided against making a tincture since I didn't feel that the alcohol or glycerin would be good when treating for yeast.  I also though that drinking a tea throughout the day might be more beneficial than taking all the herbs at once. I wanted to use herbs that help kill yeast, cleanse my liver, help with low blood sugar and not taste too nasty ;D

I decided to use

1 cup Red raspberry....Good for seemingly all female problems (and it tastes good)

3/4 cup Nettle leaf....Supports liver, high in chlorophyll,calcium, vitamin A&C.

3/4 cup Dandelion leaf...Increases activity of the liver and the flow of bile. Increases activity of the pancreases (low blood sugar problems)

3/4 cup Hops...relaxes the liver and gallbladder ducts and increases the flow of bile.

1 cup Pau D'arco bark....Antifungal

Cinnamon...Helps regulate blood sugar and is anti fungal. I add 2 sticks to every batch of tea.

I usually use about 1/3 cup of the herbs and 2 Cinnamon sticks to about six cups of water.

Hops tastes really nasty but the other herbs seem to cover up the taste pretty well. After trying differant amounts I think I came up with a combo that tastes good and is hopefully helping me.

I totally oopsied on the Cinnamon. It is used in diabetes NOT low blood sugar ::) The last thing I need is to lower my blood sugar even farther. I'm replacing the cinnamon with peppermint. Tastes batter anyway!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 04:53:42 AM by tjmjfamily »
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline MamaChildress

• Adept
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2007, 05:01:33 AM »
I would seriously like to do the Master Cleanse. I feel tired, sluggish, moody, just plain *toxic*.  :P  I crave Pepsi like there is no tomorrow.  :-\ And I absolutely love pastries... I don't care what kind they are, just let me have em!  ;D

Which leads me to the Master Cleanse....
My only reservation is that I am nursing our 14 month old. She eats tons of regular food, drinks water from a sippy cup, etc. Lily will nurse a few times a day, but really likes to fall asleep that way.  :-*

From what I've read, I don't really think my cleansing will hurt her. What do you think?
I usually get pregnant fairly quickly after my babies turn 1... so I'm thinking I'd like to cleanse before that. (of course, God hasn't promised us anymore children, but we would happily receive more!)
I think after I cleanse, I'd feel tons better than I do now.  :)

Blessings,
                             ~Janet~
                         ~MommyofTen~

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2007, 08:03:21 AM »
I did the Makers Diet while nursing. It really helped my to quit craving things and just overall improved my health. I was surprised at how many detox sumptoms I got from just a diet change esp since I already ate pretty healthy. I would not feel comfortable doing the Master cleanse while nursing. I would be worried about the baby getting all those toxins in the milk and being able to keep up a milk supply. JMO
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2007, 05:06:51 PM »
Doesn't sound like your daughter is nursing all that much so I might do the MC except that it sounds like you have classic candida/yeast overgrowth symptoms. Please research carefully before you jump into the MC in this condition. Much better IMO to do some preliminary diet changes and supplements FIRST. Cutting out ALL sugar for a few weeks would be an excellent and simple (but not easy ;D) way to start.
I hear you about wanting to get the cleansing out of the way before a new little one  ;). Just want to suggest that you avoid getting pregnant while doing heavy cleansing and detox.
I would seriously like to do the Master Cleanse. I feel tired, sluggish, moody, just plain *toxic*.  :P  I crave Pepsi like there is no tomorrow.  :-\ And I absolutely love pastries... I don't care what kind they are, just let me have em!  ;D

Which leads me to the Master Cleanse....
My only reservation is that I am nursing our 14 month old. She eats tons of regular food, drinks water from a sippy cup, etc. Lily will nurse a few times a day, but really likes to fall asleep that way.  :-*

From what I've read, I don't really think my cleansing will hurt her. What do you think?
I usually get pregnant fairly quickly after my babies turn 1... so I'm thinking I'd like to cleanse before that. (of course, God hasn't promised us anymore children, but we would happily receive more!)
I think after I cleanse, I'd feel tons better than I do now.  :)

Offline MamaChildress

• Adept
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2007, 05:37:38 AM »
Thank you Ella... I am already on the look out for that book. ;)

BoysMama, I guess I should go research Candida/Yeast overgrowth. Yuck!  :o

Thank you ladies for your help!  :)
Blessings,
                             ~Janet~
                         ~MommyofTen~

Offline sprobasco

• Learning
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2008, 07:29:33 PM »
Ok...Looks like i have finally figured out what is causing my poor  little 3 month old boys eczema/rash. it started about 3 weeks ago, and now that i think of it I had been losing weight quite rapidly...3 weeks ago I abruptly changed my diet to a sort of anti-yeast diet to help his rash out and his rash got worse and spread to his body...and he has little bumps on his torso like one mom described after taking supermom. After trying and trying to figure out what was causing the problem and cutting out more and more foods my previously happy baby has been fussy and his rash is horrible! I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO NOW! What can I do to help him!??? I want my milk to be nice and fatty and good quality and i want to get rid of his rash and i feel totally helpless. . . stressed out...TIRED!!! (ihave a 2 year old too) How do i stop the toxins from flowing into the milk and into his poor little body???? How do I make my milk quality better?

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2008, 06:32:45 AM »
bump

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2008, 07:17:36 AM »
If it's just your diet that you changed and you are not taking new supplements that he may be allergic to, I personally would take some fiber, like coconut fiber or flour, you can bake with it too  or add it to smoothies.    This would help get the toxins out faster.   Nine years ago when I made some drastic changes in my (lost 30 lbs. in three months)   diet, I was nursing a  nine month old  and he  when through a detox as well.   He passed some really yucky things in his diaper ( I was taking colon and parasite cleansing stuff)  and he had some weird looking pimples for awhile, but everything eventually cleared up.   Baby gets what ever you eat through your milk and if you now eat healthier, your baby is getting healthier  milk now and  will detox too .     Taking some green  powders may help increase and enrich your milk , if you are having problems.  Make sure you drink enough of water and eat healthy foods.

For baby you could put some aloe or coconut oil on his rash.    Probably someone else will have more things to say.
Blessing's,
   RB
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 04:23:31 PM by RB »
Whatsoever things are lovely ...think on these things.  Phil. 4:8

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2008, 04:29:55 PM »
If it's just your diet that you changed and you are not taking new supplements that he may be allergic to, I personally would take some fiber, like coconut fiber or flour, you can bake with it too  or add it to smoothies.    This would help get the toxins out faster.   Nine years ago when I made some drastic changes in my (lost 30 lbs. in three months)   diet, I was nursing a  nine month old  and he  when through a detox as well.   He passed some really yucky things in his diaper ( I was taking colon and parasite cleansing stuff)  and he had some weird looking pimples for awhile, but everything eventually cleared up.   Baby gets what ever you eat through your milk and if you now eat healthier, your baby is getting healthier  milk now and  will detox too .     Taking some green  powders may help increase and enrich your milk , if you are having problems.  Make sure you drink enough of water and eat healthy foods.

For baby you could put some aloe or coconut oil on his rash.    Probably someone else will have more things to say.
Blessing's,
   RB

Oh dear, I don't know what I was thinking when I said I lost 60 lbs. ( I lost 30) in three months.    ::)     I realized my mistake after we left the house this afternoon and I couldn't wait to come back and fix it.    ::)     :-[       
Whatsoever things are lovely ...think on these things.  Phil. 4:8

YoopreMama

« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2008, 05:22:22 AM »

WR

Natural Antifungals
Thanks again, WR... :-*

(Another thread to go through on nursing and detox...)

YoopreMama

« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2008, 01:18:31 PM »
I keep running into other sources saying "No" to Pau D'Arco while nursing....any other evidence for it?

Shonda Parker says this, about fasting/cleansing while PG/nursing:

...fasting causes one’s body to go into immediate preservation mode, which means toxins in the body are released from tissue into the bloodstream, which will pass directly into a growing babe in the womb or a nursing infant through the breast milk. I usually wait until my babies are over a year old and eating other foods regularly besides sole dependence on momma-milk.

During the first twelve weeks of pregnancy, particularly the first six weeks, baby is developing major organ systems. This is absolutely not a good time for fasting or cleansing. The last thing mom wants to do is create more work for the liver at this point (an overburdened liver is more likely to make mom feel sick), as well as not wanting to pass harmful substances to baby. Cleansing/fasting, per a study done by the magazine Natural Health showed effective reduction in heavy metal content of the body as well as increase in good bacteria in the gut after a month-long cleanse with vegetarian diet (the Pure Body Program from The Pure Body Institute performed best of all of the cleanses). To achieve reduction, however, these metals have to be excreted. To be excreted, they are first in the bloodstream. Do you see the problem? Everything in mom’s bloodstream goes directly to baby in the womb or to baby at the breast. Baby would get some of these before mom can metabolize them, and mom’s metabolic processes are already slowed down due to natural effects of pregnancy. Anne Frye’s book, Understanding Diagnostic Tests in the Childbearing Year, states emphatically that women should never attempt fasting or cleansing during pregnancy. After many years of midwifery, Anne has even found that women who dramatically alter their diet (from heavy junk food to complete whole foods) experience problems with their health during their pregnancy.

I could not recommend a fast or cleanse at any point during pregnancy and could not recommend a fast or cleanse while solely breastfeeding baby, either. I would concentrate on liver support with continued milk thistle supplementation as the German Commission E Monographs state no contraindication for milk thistle during pregnancy. Good whole foods and an excellent prenatal are a mom and baby’s best building blocks to health. Red raspberry and nettles are great supplements, with added ginger for nausea. More details may be found in the Naturally Healthy Pregnancy book.

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2008, 05:04:29 AM »
H'mmm... Do you think we're doing a slow enough change in diet (anti-candida) to avoid toxins going to the breast milk? I get worried when I read stuff like this! Yet I have a hard time imagining that eliminating sugars alone, (which point we're at right now) will do anything harmful.

YoopreMama

« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2008, 06:19:28 AM »
H'mmm... Do you think we're doing a slow enough change in diet (anti-candida) to avoid toxins going to the breast milk? I get worried when I read stuff like this! Yet I have a hard time imagining that eliminating sugars alone, (which point we're at right now) will do anything harmful.
I do think we're going pretty slowly.  I get concerned, too...all the more reason to have this in prayer.   :)

I still think our bodies are designed to protect the baby as much as it can in our ignorance...at least from the perspective of getting healthier and getting rid of junk.

Jury's still out on Pau d'Arco.  One source, although a good one, isn't enough for me right now.  I e-mailed Shonda Parker about it...we'll see if she replies.  ;)

Offline mamatomany

• Adept
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2008, 02:09:37 AM »
I read through all the topics under nursing, weaning & diet and did not find anything pertaining to cleansing while your nursing.  I'm having some intenstinal issues, undiagnosed gall bladder issues and think I just need to cleanse and purify my body  ;).  I'm nauseous a lot, pain in my stomach when I eat anything.  I'm currently nursing my almost 9 month old exclusively.  I read through Rebeka's liver/gallbladder post and what she went through and would love to do that!  What are your thoughts?

Offline mdessy

• Adept
  • Wife Mom Sister Friend UU Nutrition Educator
    • Grains&More
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2008, 03:13:52 AM »
I'm not sure a thorough cleanse is a good idea when you are breastfeeding as any toxin release will excrete though your milk.  If you are still exclusively breastfeeding your child is going to get a very heavy dose of what you are trying to get rid of.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2008, 03:30:45 AM »
I did a cleanse while my first child was nursing and all I can say is that the baby did reap the consequenses of it. 
The only cleanse I would recommend at this time would be the water cure.  It makes a subtle difference within your body and is a very mild cleanse, but it still might be helpful to you.
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,369.0.html

YoopreMama

« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2008, 03:51:27 AM »
Would this thread be helpful?

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3013.0.html
merged

MOD NOTE:  Thanks Yooper ;D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 11:26:55 PM by healthybratt »

Offline alexsa

• Learning
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2008, 09:43:46 AM »
Hi there,  I have cleansed before and have to agree with the others about the toxins coming out and the baby receiving it.  I would wait if you can til you wean the baby.  Other than that you might want to try to see a doctor.  If the symptoms are bad.  I have 3 children and it is difficult with even minor illnesses much less something really bothersome.  I f you do decide to wean a little early, there are a lot of great formula alternatives if you don't want to do formula.  I hope you feel better soon.

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
    • Colorado's Personhood Amendment 2008
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2009, 08:48:51 AM »
I just bought a psyllium husk powdered drink. Is it safe during nursing? The warning on the label says to check with your physician if you are pregnant or nursing.

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
    • Colorado's Personhood Amendment 2008
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2009, 01:21:22 PM »
I just bought a psyllium husk powdered drink. Is it safe during nursing? The warning on the label says to check with your physician if you are pregnant or nursing.
Bump   ;D

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2009, 01:27:52 PM »
Bump   ;D

As far as I know it's safe while nursing as long as you're not allergic to it. It helps to bind toxins so they pass through which IMO is always a good thing. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2009, 10:00:06 AM »
My favorite thing to use for cleansing while nursing is bentonite clay. It doesn't cause any detox because it absorbs instead of causing your body to get rid of all the junk on its own. I even used bentonite clay once when I had diarrhea and it was a great remedy for that too. My stomach was so upset and the clay calmed it right down.

For vitamins and minerals and over all good breastmilk I like to (well, learned to like) drinking nettle infusions. Dried nettle (about one ounce, one handful pretty much) steeped in a jar of boiled water for four hours. Fewer hours will make an infusion that isn't as strong but helps to get used to the taste. I like to rinse my hair with nettle too, makes it nice and lush.

As far as eczema goes. My baby has that pretty bad and the only thing that got it cleared up was my eliminating the top eight allergens from my diet and then trying one food at a time to figure out his allergies. Still trying to figure them all out but it is worth it.

The info on Dr. Sears website for caring for eczema topically was also very helpful. I did find for my son baths helped as long as I moisturized right after. I even made a really strong infusion of chamomile to put in his bath and his skin was so soft afterward. Mind you all these topical treatments didn't work as well until I got off of dairy, soy, egg, fish, nuts, wheat, gluten, etc. He even sleeps much better now, it was like a miracle for us. I was having to resort to hydro cortisone for the itching before I changed my diet. If baby is ok with chamomile then little dropper fulls of it may help as well. It is anti-inflammatory.

Well, I hope my personal successes will help someone.  :)

« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 10:01:44 AM by sarajane »
Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2010, 05:14:36 PM »
Some colon cleanse/detox formulas bind up toxins very well and minimize anything passing through breast milk. Use in rotation with good nutrition and/or supplements to avoid nutritional deficiencies.

Here is a little on using Dr. Schulze colon products.
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,20926.msg244564.html#msg244564

Detox+ is a similar product but for a lower price.

Both of these have bentonite clay and charcoal.