Author Topic: Cleansing [ Detoxing ] While Breastfeeding [ Nursing ]  (Read 74111 times)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
Re: Cleansing [ Detoxing ] While Breastfeeding [ Nursing ]
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2006, 10:55:04 AM »
My research all shows that you should not seek to cleanse/detox while pregant or nursing. Detox means that your body is ridding itself of toxins. When a body does this, it uses all means at its disposal: skin, bowels, urine, skin, mucus, breast milk, etc.

You don't want to dump toxins into your breast milk or placenta as the baby's system isn't yet equipped to deal with these foreign substances. That's why doctors do not recommend that nursing and/or pregnant moms try to go on a serious weight loss program. Shedding those pounds is another sign that the body is detoxing.

In other words, if your body is detoxing on its own, I wouldn't worry. But, you shouldn't try to create a situation (a cleanse or dieting) during pregnancy or breastfeeding that leads to detoxing. Of course, this doesn't eliminate doing things that are proactive towards your health. Eating a better foods, drinking lots of pure water, exercising, etc. are all proactive things that you can do to better your health until you can get to a point that you can do an aggressive cleanse.

My personal exception is when a mom is nursing an older child (2+ years). Unless the child has special physical limitations, he/she should be able to handle mom going through a cleanse.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 10:58:55 AM by SC »
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2006, 02:26:47 PM »
SC, wouldn't probiotics either nutritional or supplemental be a form of detoxing or cleansing that wouldn't hurt baby ?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2006, 04:23:28 PM »
SC, wouldn't probiotics either nutritional or supplemental be a form of detoxing or cleansing that wouldn't hurt baby ?

For purposes of this discussion, let me explain my use of the terms.

When I refer to a person detoxing, I am talking about the body throwing off toxins -- an involuntary reaction that come about through either (A) natural processes or (B) by means of induction on the part of the individual.

In my mind (I could be accused of splitting hairs here), the body's detoxing as a result of a healthy lifestyle -- eating healthy foods, ingesting whole food nutrients, repopulating the digestive tract with good bacteria, exercise, drinking pure water, etc. etc. -- is a more natural process and not likely to cause harm to a baby. These are measures that all women are encouraged to adopt during pregnancy.

However, when talking about detoxing as a result of a colon cleansing, parasite cleanse, fasting, drastic dietary changes, meal substitutions -- in other words using a catalyst to bring on the detoxing (not as a side affect, but as a goal) -- THAT's where I say a pregnant or nursing mom should not go for fear of tossing toxins into the baby's food supply. My reasoning is that this second detoxing is more like a tidal wave of toxins rather than a gradual, gentle release. Faster isn't always better.

Just my take on the process.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2006, 04:30:03 PM »
Okay, I agree with this, my wording just isn't as descriptive, I suppose.   ::)  Thanks for clarifying.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Caroline

• Adept
    • New Little Blessing
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2006, 05:32:57 AM »
I am nursing a 13 month old, and was wondering about the safety of taking milk thistle. I have always heard that it is good for your liver, and that it can actually help your morning sickness when you get pregnant. I got pregnant last time when my baby was 15 months old, which is why I am thinking about this....Do any of you have any advice on that? Would cleansing your liver get in your breastmilk?
Caroline
www.newlittleblessing.com
Ergos, Pregnancy/Ovulation tests, Books, Modest Patterns, Modest Nursing covers, Baby and Child size slings and Vitamins!

Offline Naomismama

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2007, 03:02:31 PM »
Ok, I am not sure where to post this...I have been doing the water cure. I am nursing a 15 month old right now so I always drink tons of water. I didn't think adding salt would really affect anything. I drink between 3 and 4 quarts a day (i/2 my body water in ounces would only be like 63 ounces but I am always so thirst since I nurse!) Anyway, has anyone done this while nursing and had it lower your milk supply?? My daughter was only nursing maybe 3 or 4 times a day but is fussier and nursing more again. Anyone experience this???
Check out my yahoo group, (or PM me) for info on my baby slings!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/santinasslings/

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2007, 03:40:37 PM »
I'm doing the water cleanse, only without the sea salt.  I don't like the slimy, salty taste of the water, so I'm just eating a pinch of salt now and then or on my food.  I'm also nursing a 3 1/2 month old and I have not noticed any decrease in milk.  Just a thought, but would drinking more water cause you to eat less food?  I know eating alot less makes my milk supply dwindle somewhat.

Offline Naomismama

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »
Well, after being up all night with a fussy baby, I think the problem isn't the salt water, but teething. Every time shes getting teeth in she thrashes all night in bed keeping me and my husband up! :-\ Thats probably the real problem!
Check out my yahoo group, (or PM me) for info on my baby slings!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/santinasslings/

Offline 4lilkeepers

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2007, 03:15:52 AM »
So is it safe to be taking the full dose of supermom vitamins while nursing?  I have a 2 1/2 WEEK old.  I have only been taking them evry other day or so becasue she seemed to be grumpier when I took them, but it could be something else, not sure?

4lilkeepers

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2007, 04:29:21 AM »
So is it safe to be taking the full dose of supermom vitamins while nursing?  I have a 2 1/2 WEEK old.  I have only been taking them evry other day or so becasue she seemed to be grumpier when I took them, but it could be something else, not sure?

4lilkeepers

i have leaky gut syndrome and was only able to take 1 SM daily when nursing my son.  everything bothered him.  most people can take 2 if they work up slowly.  maybe start with 1/2 a one for a few days, then whole one, etc. going up by 1/2 each time.  don't give up, these are great vitamins.  there is a slight detox factor for some, which is why you should increase slowly. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Mom_to_12

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2007, 04:34:42 AM »

4lilkeepers
There could be a number of reasons for a baby to be grumpy.  If you have noticed a pattern when taking SM, that could likely be it.  A 2 1/2 week old is probably not teething, and could easily be sensitve to something you are taking.

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2007, 06:24:08 AM »
Everything tells me that it's okay to detox while nursing as long as you don't do it to quickly.  Sometimes the baby's body is too small to handle the detox as well as mama might and may have adverse reactions that his poor little body won't tolerate well (indegestion, hives, rashes, colic, etc).  Take it slow and easy, whatever you decide.  If you see signs of discomfort in baby, slow it down a little and pick it back up slowly.

I think this is what happened to my 18mo.  I started the water cure a  few weeks ago and about the same time he showed up with a strange 'rash' all over his  torso; little bumps everywhere.  I tried to figure out what it was by eliminating things, but after reading this, it cooresponded with the start of water cure.  Interesting.  It didnt seem to bother him, just looked weird to me.

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2007, 08:35:22 PM »
Apple Cider vinegar is also an anti-fungal and also helps with not retaining water.  I am nursing a 3 month old and take it twice a day. it is also very  high in potassium. I take the bragg brand. You can mix 2tsp of the vinegar and honey in 8 oz of water.  I dont' use the honey and I don't measure the vinegar and I mix psyllium husks in it.  Gotta keep things moving. :) 

sorry if this is a dumb question, but what are psyllium husks?

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2007, 02:21:48 AM »
Apple Cider vinegar is also an anti-fungal and also helps with not retaining water.  I am nursing a 3 month old and take it twice a day. it is also very  high in potassium. I take the bragg brand. You can mix 2tsp of the vinegar and honey in 8 oz of water.  I dont' use the honey and I don't measure the vinegar and I mix psyllium husks in it.  Gotta keep things moving. :) 

sorry if this is a dumb question, but what are psyllium husks?
It's just a high fiber.  I get mine at the health food store.  There is also psyllium powder.  I buy the whole husks.  Not sure if one is better than the other.  HTH

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2007, 01:07:15 PM »
Hi! I have a question... Right now I am nursing... so I can't do any liver flushes or anything like that... I've never had liver problems, but with this last 3rd pregnancy, it started malfunctioning. I got Puppps and my liver constantly hurt. I'm confusing myself with all this talk ::). Anyway, I have given birth and gone back to exercising on the treadmill. While I'm walking, my liver starts to hurt pretty bad. What can I do about it? Also, I have stopped "going" daily. I drink a LOT of water, exercise, and eat pretty healthy, but I just don't seem to "eliminate" things too well. I feel like if I don't "eliminate" I don't lose weight..... What can I do for this problem that will NOT affect my nursing little baby?? Sorry if this is confusing.... but please help me!! Oh, and I have just now started taking Supermom and TTU....
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2007, 01:42:39 PM »
Dandeloin, alfalfa & kelp will help without hurting the baby. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom 

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2007, 06:11:29 PM »
It is really important to keep your bowels moving. There are so many ways to do this. To start out you could just do warm water enemas. Make sure you have enough bulk. Psyllium works well when you get your bowels moving. I would NEVER recommend this long term but taking some cascara before bed for a few days and then adding psyllium to replace the cascara for a few days should do the trick. If you see your baby getting to soft of stools make sure you stop. I was able to use cascara while nursing before without problems. Everyone is different though so be careful. I think you need to make sure you are getting enough fruits and veggies....how about good old fashion prunes or prune juice?
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline its_me518

• Adept
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2007, 12:53:43 PM »
Quote from: babymakers link=topic=3013.msg70450#msg70450 ....how about good old fashion prunes or prune juice?
[/quote

I've been thinking about prune juice, but I wasn't sure if the baby would be affected by it.... I guess I'll just try it and see... Thanx for the advice :)
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline tjl731

• Learning
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2007, 01:56:03 PM »
Hi everyone!!! There is so much information on here, it's incredible!! Smart, smart ladies!

So, I am fairly new to this, and hopefully I have not done anything wrong so far. (My husband and I had our first child almost 8 months ago, and all the sudden I don't want any of us to die!  :) That of course has led to lots and lots of research and an attempt at healthier eating!) I began taking supermoms (1 per day) about a month ago, and I definately felt a little off the first few days. (slight head aches, a little nausea, just over all "blah" feeling) although that has completely gone away now. Without having read this thread, my husband, who is also taking them, and I decided to up our dose to two a day. This seems to be ok, as far as what I have read so far.

We also began taking flax seed oil (1 per day). I am drinking a lot of herbal teas, and could always drink more water than I do... It seems a lot of doctors in the medical community frown big time on herbal ANYTHING while pregnant or nursing. Long story short, kinda, is that we would like to get pregnant again this summer, when our first is about a year old. After reading a ton on candida and autism etc, I was thinking about taking the Pregnancy anti yeast pack before getting pregnant from beeyoutiful. Is that ok??? I know it says pregnancy in the name... but I would still be nursing at that point...

Sorry this was so long!! Thank you in advance!!!

Offline tjl731

• Learning
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2007, 02:05:54 PM »
Oh... maybe I should include what comes in the pack, so that you don't have to open up another web page...

Acidophilus blast, tummy tuneup, colostrum transfer, enzyme digestive, odorless garlic

Offline tjl731

• Learning
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2007, 04:04:17 PM »
I'm sure you all knew that!!!

Offline tjl731

• Learning
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2007, 12:02:04 PM »
Hello,

Is it ok to use the pregnancy anti-yeast pack while nursing??

Thank you!!!!

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2007, 12:55:39 PM »
Hello,

Is it ok to use the pregnancy anti-yeast pack while nursing??

Thank you!!!!

That is perfectly fine!
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline tjl731

• Learning
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2007, 09:02:21 PM »
Thank you sooooooooooo much!!! I am really excited!!!!

Offline its_me518

• Adept
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2007, 11:46:13 AM »
??? I am at a bit of a loss right now. There is like a thunderstorm inside my baby's tummy... I don't know what's causing it!! :-[ Do you think this could be caused by any detox? I've increased my Supermom to 1 full pill, and I am drinking lemon juice in the morning and I also started drinking Jasmine Green tea.... I have been doing this for about 5 days now and everything was fine until yesterday and today. My baby's tummy just sounds awful!! I want to help, but I'm not sure what's causing it or how to help him!!! :-\ I've been really tempted to give him tummy tune up, but I'm nervous about it!! Oh, and I myself haven't really felt any detox... but could this be the cause of his gas??? Also, I was wondering... how sure are people that the toxins go through the milk into the baby?? If that is true, do they just pass through the baby, or do they make him toxic??
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 11:48:56 AM by its_me518 »

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2007, 12:32:22 PM »
I don't have any ideas on what might be causing it - I drink/take/eat all those things and my baby has no problem - but I think you are safe giving him some Tummy Tune Up. I'd start by giving him a tiny bit and upping the amount as long as you don't see any side effects. That stuff is pretty strong as far as probiotics go so you probably don't need much for a baby.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2007, 05:55:25 AM »
Is there already a thread for this? I've seen the ones that talk about what you can do for yeast while pregnant, but not a thread just for when you are nursing. And I would think there would be a big difference since some herbs/treatments may cause miscarriage but be perfectly fine to take while nursing, some may not pass into the milk but would pass through the placenta, and some might be fine when pregnant but will cause you to stop producing milk while nursing.... etc.

Anyway, I was given three rounds of antibiotics during and after my c-section and now I'm having a bad flareup. No "feminine" yeast infection but my skin, eyes, nose, ears, and throat are all driving me crazy. Plus I am fatigued and irritable.

I know about diet, but what can I take to kill yeast? I have some Formula SF722 which contains 10-Undecenoic Acid (made from Castor bean oil) and have been wondering if I could take it. Any herbs I can use while nursing? Any anti-yeast formulas that are made for nursing moms?

I am already eating VCO and taking Enzyme Digestive and TTU ultimate defence (I'm out of TTU8 right now).

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2007, 08:25:59 AM »
i think garlic and flax seed help

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2007, 02:10:08 PM »
Thanks. And BUMP.  ;D
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Mrs. JDT

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2007, 02:43:35 PM »
I have heard Threelac is safe during nursing. I used  it during pregnancy. it does work, but it's expensive.