Author Topic: Cleansing [ Detoxing ] While Breastfeeding [ Nursing ]  (Read 72528 times)

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
Cleansing [ Detoxing ] While Breastfeeding [ Nursing ]
« on: May 15, 2006, 04:27:34 PM »
I'm really, really curious about doing some type of colon cleanse or some other type of cleanse to get my health in shape. I am nursing a 15 month old boy and I'd prefer to do child-led weaning, more or less. I had to wean his brother at 20 months due to pregnancy (nursing made my skin crawl, and was painful) and I'd rather not have to do that this time. I keep hearing that you are not supposed to do a cleansing while you are nursing or pregnant. Right now I am not seeking pregnancy but I sort of want to get pregnant again. I don't really want to get pregnant without improving my health and losing some weight, and I have no idea how long I am going to nurse (I doubt past three years.) Can anybody weigh in on this? I want what is best for my children and myself.

Offline konk

• Learning
Re: Cleansing [ Detoxing ] While Breastfeeding [ Nursing ]
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 06:46:35 PM »
I've asked around about this myself recently.  I have a 12 month old I'm nowhere near ready to wean but waiting a couple years to get back in top shape doesn't seem reasonable either.  Unfortunately, most people I've spoken with say never to do any radical cleansing of any type while nursing. 

Because I'm fairly attached in my baby parenting (within reason... I have no problem combining such nurturing with good old-fashioned discipline when necessary) my babies tend to be quite attached to nursing at night and to sleep.  Weaning for a few days to cleanse would be miserable for her.  I can understand the necessity of this if I were weaning for good but it seems cruel to then just try to go back to where we left off like nothing happened.  That's too inconsistent for her limited understanding. 

For now I started the Supermoms last month and brought them up 1/4 dose (half tablet) at a time and I assume it was slow enough because I didn't feel any detox effects.  I have been feeling MUCH better - except for the last week or so due to a lack of sleep from an overly busy schedule. 

I have also been drinking fresh squeezed lemon water in the mornings and the only thing I think I'm missing is just a strong effort to increase my water intake each day.

I would like to see if any of this would jump start weight loss though.  Usually the pounds have come off fairly easily within a few months but this time they're stubborn despite the fact that my diet is much better than it used to be.  Age has much to do with it, I fear. 

If there are other ideas out there, I’d love to hear them too!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 07:07:40 PM »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline organimommi

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 08:09:30 PM »
Hi new here.  Just found the Supermoms sight..have not tried the products.  I have also been looking for some sort of safe detox while nursing.  I am currently nursing a 21 mnth old , but have heard that any kind of Detox is not o.k. when nursing because the toxins pass through the milk.    Is the Supermoms safe to use while nursing?  Has ant one tried the Water (w/sea salt) Detox here while nursing?

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 03:33:24 AM »
Well, that sounds simple enough! Thanks for the link! We use triple-osmosis filtered water from Walmart, and I have sea salt but it's probably not the right kind. Do I have to make trip to the health food store?

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 04:20:03 AM »
So far the consensus has been that the best sea salt  for the Water Cure is the kind that looks like it has sand in it. It contains 50+ minerals...
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 04:56:24 AM »
Well, that sounds simple enough! Thanks for the link! We use triple-osmosis filtered water from Walmart, and I have sea salt but it's probably not the right kind. Do I have to make trip to the health food store?

I get mine at the Asian food market.
  My favorite herb book!!

Elbereth

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 06:32:04 AM »
I have tried the water cure and couldn't drink the water because it was just too salty.  I am sure about the amounts, but could it be that I have the wrong kind of sea salt?  It says that it is completely unrefined sea salt, hand harvested, but it is completely white.  It does seem a little bit more moist than regular salt, but that's pretty much it.  Is there a brand anyone knows of that I could look for?  I live in the boonies so to say the least there are no asian markets around. ;)

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 07:03:16 AM »
You want your sea salt to have a grey color and be a little moist. That is how you know it is genuine, unrefined sea salt with the good minerals and stuff. (I can't explain things in the same "sophisticated, documented" way that I read and understand them)  :D I've never seen unrefined sea salt that was totally white... We, too kinda live in the "boonies" plus I can't get out and about even if we did have lots of health food stores around, so I have done some searching on-line and so far this site has the best prices: http://www.2-life.com/cssform.htm. Their shipping was reasonable also, but that would probably depend where you live. This site has a good price, only they have the coarse and not the fine ground:http://www.bulkfoods.com/spices.asp. They have several kinds of sea salt, but of course, you want the grey. :)
Hope this helps!
~B

Elbereth

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 12:36:57 PM »
Has anyone changed their diet to exclude sugar and yeast while nursing?  If so, how did it go?

Offline Mamatutu

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 05:07:07 AM »
I wanted to add a thought to the nursing while detoxing question.  A big concern is that the mother be getting enough nurishment to provide for her and the baby.  Because of this we are discussing the water cure and Supermom as great ways to detox without compromising our intake.  My concern is not just having enough milk, but that it be GOOD milk!  When we do a cleanse (of any kind) that means our body is flushing out the toxins.  Not only does this happen through urinating/excretions, but also through sweat and breast milk.  When I detoxed, my 8 month old broke out in eczema.  :o  The supply never was a problem but the milk was!  I am thankful that she is fine now, but it also opened my eyes to consider that there is more than one side to this question.  My best solution is the partial, take it slowly approach.  The suggestion to start with a 1/4 dose and increase 1/4 each week is excellent.  I wonder if we would do well to apply it to the water cure as well?  Also, speaking of the water cure, would the salt not affect the milk as it can cause dehydration?  Are you drinking extra water in addition to the salty water?
Stacey ~ Privileged to be the wife and helpmeet of my darling Daniel and devoted mama to four precious babes~ Micah Daniel (2/7/04), Rebekah Hope (9/8/05), and Eliahna Pearl (6/9/07), and TBA November 2008.

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 05:41:12 AM »
Are you drinking extra water in addition to the salty water?

Good question! Anyone?
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline proudmommaof3

• Learning
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 05:13:13 PM »
I too have been wanting to do a detox.  I have a toe fungus plus I am extremely sick while pregnant.  The first 4 months I am puking 24/7.  My first Doctor told me that it was because of toxins in the body.  With my third pregnancy my mid-wife was also a nature path and I have been discussing this with her.  Toe fungus or Planters Warts are a sign of bacteria in the blood stream. 
First she told me that whatever I have the baby has and the other kids probable have it too.
So I am very gun hoe about doing this as soon as possible. She said to wait till after the baby was three months.  She recommended coconut oil or caprylic acid.  She said they were even safe enough to start taking while pregnant and they wouldn't make the milk taste.  It's probable not really heavy duty either.
I ordered the Yeast Assassin from Super Mom and told her that I was going to try taking that.  She was a little hesitant on me using it but I said I would take it very slow.   The first one I took though made me sick and I haven't taken it any more.  I don't think it agreed with the baby either.  So i am thinking about taking it once a week maybe.
One thing that I do know is that you need to be taking an Acidophilus too, to replace the good bacteria.
I have heard just taking an Acidophilus detoxes you also. 

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 05:21:17 PM »

I ordered the Yeast Assassin from Super Mom and told her that I was going to try taking that.  She was a little hesitant on me using it but I said I would take it very slow.   The first one I took though made me sick and I haven't taken it any more.  I don't think it agreed with the baby either.  So i am thinking about taking it once a week maybe.

I couldn't quite tell if you ordered SuperMom AND Yeast Assassin or just the Yeast Assassin.   If you ordered the SuperMom multi vitamins you might want to start taking 1/2 a tab a day for a week and gradually increase the amount as your body adjusts.

We strongly advise against taking Yeast Assassin while Pregnant and Nursing.  Did your midwife read the list of ingredients in Yeast Assassin before giving her approval for you taking it?  ???

If you are looking for a "safe" detox option while nursing you can read about the Water cure here http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,369.0.html   :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 05:23:43 PM by StephTallent »
Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2006, 05:36:30 PM »
I too have been wanting to do a detox. 

Probiotics (yogurt, acidophilus, tummy-tuneup, etc) are a much safer way to detox when pregnant or nursing because you are ingesting live bacteria.  These bacteria actually eat the yeast and therefore do not create any "dead yeast".  When you actually kill the yeast, your body has to cleanse itself of the dead organisms just like other toxins, but when the bacteria ingest them, there are "no bodies".
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline proudmommaof3

• Learning
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2006, 06:29:26 PM »
Hey!  I ordered the Super Mom tabs too.  One with Enchinacea, one with out.  Which I noticed the one with out has Milk Thistle in it.  Which I have read it helps clean out the Liver.  So my ? is, would the Super Moms work as a detoxer as well?  I have only been taking one a day or every other day.  I orginal got them for my husband to take the majority of bacause he really liked the Garden of life vitamen and I wanted to see if he liked this as well or better. We have been using them for over a month now.
As far as the Yeast Assassin, my husband has a ?? about that.  He saw that it had Black Walnut in it and he said he had heard of a man who was sanding off a piece of Black Walnut and the fumes killed him.  What's with that?

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 03:37:29 AM »
Apple Cider vinegar is also an anti-fungal and also helps with not retaining water.  I am nursing a 3 month old and take it twice a day. it is also very  high in potassium. I take the bragg brand. You can mix 2tsp of the vinegar and honey in 8 oz of water.  I dont' use the honey and I don't measure the vinegar and I mix psyllium husks in it.  Gotta keep things moving. :) 

Offline 3boysmyjoys

• Adept
  • My Three Boys And My Joy
    • Contenders for the Faith
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 03:18:34 PM »
I want to lose weight and I found a really great diet plan that seems to work for people.  The only problem is it starts with a lemonade cleanse.  I am nuring a sixmo right now.  Would this be a problem?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 04:24:10 PM »
I want to lose weight and I found a really great diet plan that seems to work for people.  The only problem is it starts with a lemonade cleanse.  I am nuring a sixmo right now.  Would this be a problem?

Detoxing While Nursing
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 3boysmyjoys

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2006, 06:11:18 PM »
I've tried the water cure and it decreases my milk supply.  In fact,  I 've tried it several times with the same results.  And believe me, I was drinking the  right amount! :P  I guess I should rephrase my question, "Is it safe to go on an all liquid cleanse while nursing?"

Offline 3boysmyjoys

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2006, 10:02:12 AM »
Hellooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :D  Does anyone have any thoughts about a two-day, all liquid cleanse while nursing! ???  Is it safe to do?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 10:07:00 AM by 3boysmyjoys »

Offline kjmsmum

• Learning
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2006, 10:17:57 AM »
I've been wondering the same thing and with all I've read it doesn't sound too good to go for a total liquid cleanse for 2 days - slowly slowly if at all! also citrus juice can really affect some babies, so you might find the lemon upsets your little one? Can you just go ahead with the diet without the cleanse?

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2006, 10:19:09 AM »
From what I understand it is not safe because your toxins will show up in your milk and be passed on to your baby. The water cure is the only cleanse that is deemed safe for pregnant and/or nursing mama's.

I did the water cure but minus the salt actually in the water. I read somwhere that the whole point was to just make sure you get enough salt. So, I just put plenty of sea salt on my food. I then realized that I was already drinking that amount of water without even trying since I was nursing. Nursing just plain makes me thirsty.
Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.

Offline Allens

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2006, 03:58:45 AM »
Hi all,

Curious if anyone has information on a cleanse I can do while nursing.  Baby is 7 1/2 weeks old and I'd like to continue nursing for at least a year (so I don't want to do anything that would threaten the milk supply).  My DH did the Master Cleanse this summer (wife is at her heaviest ever in 4th pregnancy and DH comes out wearing old pants saying, "honey look, I haven't been able to wear these pants in 5 years!   :D)  and is doing a 4 day gall bladder cleanse currently.  The detox results have been great for him, as well as the weight loss.

So I'm curious if I should just wait till I'm done nursing to get onboard the detox train (I do take SuperMom already) or if anyone knows of any cleanses safe for a nursing mum?

(This was also posted under the topic of 'where do I start cleansing?' 'cause I'm just figuring out how to do this.)

Mrs. Allen
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 04:00:18 AM by Allens »

Offline rebekahgrif

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2006, 05:38:01 AM »
From what I have read and heard (I'm still learning a lot)  a detox when pregnant or nursing is a no-no.  What I know you can do though to get things started is go ahead and eat healthier, and drink lots of water.  At least a glass every other waking hour.  If you still have addictions to caffene or sugar, go ahead and wean yourself off (quitting cold tukey I'm sure would give your baby colic on top of withdrawal symptoms).  Is there anything else she can do?  Or is a cleanse ok when nursing?

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2006, 05:51:23 AM »
K, I can't do links, I just tried but read The Water Cure thread and the Live Gallbladder cleanse thread.  You can do the water cure, I am and I am breastfeeding and others have done the liver/gallbladder cleanse while breastfeeding. I think you can read that on www.curezone.com  I can do those kinds of links I just don't know how to link you to another thread.  HTH

Offline Allens

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2006, 07:22:11 AM »
Hi all,

I just found the Water Cure thread and I think that may answer my question.  Thank you for the direction (what?  I'm supposed to go off caffeine and sugar?? :D )

Mrs. Allen

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2006, 08:18:07 AM »
Three threads of the same topic were merged.  For those of you who just recently posted, read back from the beginning of the thread for additional information.

For those of you who are new, if you are not sure if a question has been asked before, try using the search bar at the top of the home page or the advanced search function in the right hand column.

~hb
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2006, 09:13:59 AM »
Okay, I just read this thread and it seems no one really knows if it's okay to detox while nursing. So my question is:  aren't we always detoxing to some degree? Otherwise we'd probably die from one trip to McDonalds. And if we are ingesting something (say, dandelion) that detoxes us and passes through the breastmilk, wouldn't the something (dandelion) also pass through and detox the baby? I'm just being hypothetical. I am always pregnant or nursing (5 1/2 years now without a break!) and probably will be nursing for many months to come, so I've been wondering this, too. I think many women in history and other cultures have been constantly nursing and pregnant, since they didn't have formula and birth control for the most part, and it doesn't seem logical or consistent with God's creation that there would be NO way to clean the body out without hurting the baby. I read that many of the nursing herbs which increase breastmilk also cleanse and the body after pregnancy. God's mistake? I think not!

Also, about the water cure, aren't you all voraciously thirsty when you are nursing anyway? I am. I was guzzling 1-1.5 gallons of water a day this summer before I even knew about the water cure, and was still thirsty at night. Maybe this is one of God's ready-made cleanses for nursing moms, too.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2006, 09:24:15 AM »
Everything tells me that it's okay to detox while nursing as long as you don't do it to quickly.  Sometimes the baby's body is too small to handle the detox as well as mama might and may have adverse reactions that his poor little body won't tolerate well (indegestion, hives, rashes, colic, etc).  Take it slow and easy, whatever you decide.  If you see signs of discomfort in baby, slow it down a little and pick it back up slowly.

If you need a fast detox, some have suggested that you pump ahead and store it and then during detox, do not breastfeed, but pump and throw it out.  Then you can feed baby the pre-pumped milk until you're finished.
  My favorite herb book!!