Author Topic: Carbonated water  (Read 9934 times)

Offline mxmom

• Adept
Carbonated water
« on: October 18, 2006, 07:20:13 AM »
I have a question for all you smart people - notice how I started with a nice compliment to cover my own laziness to research this thoroughly myself  ::)  ;D .  I love carbonated water, specifically Perrier and Pellegrino.  I drink a lot of it if it is in my fridge, like a couple liters a day.  Is it really all that good for me?  I know there was something that begins with a 'B' in the Perrier a few years back, but they have taken care of that issue.  Yeah, I know, I'm being really specific here  ::) .  If I was inclined to do The Water Cure, and I have actually tried to research this myself  :o , but couldn't seem to find anything on carbonated water, would this be okay.  I'd drink the salt in a little bit of water first and then suck back Perrer all day!!  Any advice? 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Carbonated water
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 08:08:41 AM »
I don't really know the answer, BUT I have never read anything negative about carbonation and according to the Perrier website, there are no additives or preservatives and there's obviously no sugar and it's supposed to be pure mineral water - I would say - go for it, until you hear something different.  It is after all - good ol' H2O. 

Anyone have anything different to offer?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mxmom

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 08:12:33 AM »
I don't really know the answer, BUT I have never read anything negative about carbonation and according to the Perrier website, there are no additives or preservatives and there's obviously no sugar and it's supposed to be pure mineral water - I would say - go for it, until you hear something different.  It is after all - good ol' H2O. 

Anyone have anything different to offer?

Exactly what I wanted to hear - going to the fridge now.  ;D  Thanks, HB! 

Offline Elizab04

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 08:50:17 AM »
My mom has read several places that carbonation leaches calcium from your bones.  I don't know where she read it or any other details, but it might be worth looking into.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 09:39:52 AM »
My mom has read several places that carbonation leaches calcium from your bones.

I think that she read it was caffeine.  I have not heard about the calcium leaking from carbonation.  I have read that the air pressure isn't the healthiest for you, but it is just so fun to let it out!  If you know what I mean.  :D

Offline Rita

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 09:45:24 AM »
My mother-in-laws  doctor told her that it is not the caffeine that was causing osteoporosis but the carbonated water the her sodas!!!

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 09:56:27 AM »
I believe that it is the Phosphoric Acid found in many sodas that the doctor was referring to.  I have attached a link that explains what it is and why it is added to carbonated drinks.

However, whether carbonated unflavored water contains phosphoric acid, I cannot tell you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphoric_acid#Processed_food_use
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline Elizab04

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 11:23:38 AM »
My mom has read several places that carbonation leaches calcium from your bones.

I think that she read it was caffeine.  I have not heard about the calcium leaking from carbonation.  I have read that the air pressure isn't the healthiest for you, but it is just so fun to let it out!  If you know what I mean.  :D

I know my mom read about the carbonation not the caffiene, but I decided to look it up online and found mixed reviews.

http://www.mindconnection.com/library/health/softdrinks.htm

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art6390.asp

Offline mxmom

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 12:10:10 PM »

I know my mom read about the carbonation not the caffiene, but I decided to look it up online and found mixed reviews.

http://www.mindconnection.com/library/health/softdrinks.htm

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art6390.asp

Very interesting articles, especially about the acid reflux caused by carbonation potentially causing esophageal cancer...hmmm.  I think it is time I begin drinking a lot more of my filtered water and a lot less Perrier.  I found that Perrier was a really good alternative to Diet Coke.  I believe I was more enamored with carbonation than addicted to caffeine, as I seen to crave the carbonated beverage rather than the caffeinated one.  It really is fun to guzzle and then let it go.... ;D ;D ;D

Thanks everyone!  :)

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 02:31:24 PM »
I had read years ago about carbonization being bad for you so we, my daughter and I, took to drinking Gerolsteiner NATURALLY carbonated mineral water.  What does that mean?  I always assumed it meant it had bubbles in it when it came out of the ground, but can't find anything about that on the web.  Anyone have any info?

I am including the mineral content of the Gerolsteiner water:
milligrams per liter (mg/l)
2527   TDS   
ph factor   
347   Calcium   
39.7   Chlorides   
0.21   Fluordine   
1817   Bicarbonate   
108   Magnesium   
0.4   Maganese   
5.1   Nitrate   
10.8   Potassium   
40.2   Silica   
119   Sodium   
2.9   Stroncium   
36.3   Sulphates   

For years and years it was 99cents a bottle, but shot up to $1.39/bottle now, so it has become a special drink around here.

I got hooked on mineral water on my first mission trop to Romania.  The stewardess on the Swiss airline would ask, "would you like your water with ghass, or without?"  ;D ;D

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 03:31:22 PM »
This never occurred to me, but Sandy Fallon recommends using it in some of the fermented drinks that she has listed.  Not that she has the final say in diets and such, but perhaps, she knows that there is not much wrong with it, either.

Offline mxmom

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 04:13:29 PM »
Really?  Maybe I should look into trying some of her drink recipes.  I am really only a decent cook, but, by no means great  :'( !!  I have a few things I make exceptionally well.  I have, however, had very little success with anything from NT;  although, I do think a big problem is adjusting our tastes.  Anyways, I am a little gunshy.  Has anyone made any of the drinks and enjoyed them? 

I have decided, after a little bit of research, that, for now, I will continue to drink Perrier (just not as much as before) until I have absolutely no urge to run across the street and buy myself a Diet Coke (been a while since I have had one - yeah)!!  Oh, the temptations the city holds  ;) !!!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 08:05:01 PM »
Really?  Maybe I should look into trying some of her drink recipes.  I am really only a decent cook, but, by no means great  :'( !!  I have a few things I make exceptionally well.  I have, however, had very little success with anything from NT;  although, I do think a big problem is adjusting our tastes.  Anyways, I am a little gunshy.  Has anyone made any of the drinks and enjoyed them? 

I have decided, after a little bit of research, that, for now, I will continue to drink Perrier (just not as much as before) until I have absolutely no urge to run across the street and buy myself a Diet Coke (been a while since I have had one - yeah)!!  Oh, the temptations the city holds  ;) !!!!
Try kombucha.  I'm hooked.  It's sweet/tart and fizzy.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 04:28:10 PM »

We really like the grape cooler.  I like the ginger ale, but my kids aren't great fans.  We have a batch of the fermented apple cider working right now.  I think this is a case of getting used to the difference in flavor.  Also it is not something you down in great amounts, more of a sipping drink. 

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 05:23:05 PM »
I bought some kombucha at a health food store and I just couldn't drink it.  :P  Did you like it from the start or did you have to acquire a taste for it? 

Offline mxmom

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 06:06:48 PM »
I am going to go back and read the Kombucha thread again.  I confess that for some reason, I got it in my mind that this was a coffee type drink and I do not like coffee.  But, sweet, tart, and fizzy sounds very good!  Isn't this one of those things which you need to get the starting organism from a pal - why don't I read the thread!!  ::)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 06:08:59 AM »
I bought some kombucha at a health food store and I just couldn't drink it.  :P  Did you like it from the start or did you have to acquire a taste for it? 
My first batch was a bit strong, but we drank it anyway.  I adjusted the sugar and brewing time a bit to satisfy our tastes and now we're all hooked.  My kids loved it from the start even before I changed the recipe a bit.  I have never had any from the store.  I use green tea with citron from the Asian grocer and Lipton Iced Tea for mine.

I've also made ginger flavored with both types of tea, but haven't tasted the green/ginger combo yet.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 10:51:23 AM »
I thought the Kombuch that was good for you was the black tea one?  Is it the fermenting process that is healthy or the tea?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2006, 07:25:25 AM »
I thought the Kombuch that was good for you was the black tea one?  Is it the fermenting process that is healthy or the tea?
It's the lacto-fermentation.  These particular organisms; however thrive best in teas.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2006, 08:45:25 AM »
HB the pink smiley face coming at me on the screen is weirding me out!!!  I'm going to another thread and if it is there too, I will shut down and come back tomorrow to see what you have in store for us! ;D

Offline ILoveGodsWisdom

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2006, 01:25:48 PM »
Carbonated water (and carbonated sweetened drinks) are not good for you.  They do effect the cells in your eyes and there are other side effects too!  It is my personal opinion that you would be better off keeping these drinks out of your diet.  I couldn't find a link on the specifics of this side effect, if anyone knows of one, let me know. 

Tracy
Passport type shot of me and my 4 children

Offline Elizab04

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2006, 04:42:32 AM »
Here's an article my mom sent me.  I haven't read it yet.

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/128/117039.htm