Author Topic: whey?  (Read 3011 times)

Offline mishy

• Master
whey?
« on: May 10, 2006, 03:58:52 PM »
My kids and I just shook up a little bit of butter.  We used whipping cream and shook and shook til we got butter, but what is the other liquid in there?  Is it whey? 
Thanks!

Offline HerbMe

• Learning
Re: whey?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 06:01:20 PM »
I believe what you have is buttermilk.  When I make butter with cream I get a skim milk looking product that is described in  the how-to books as buttermilk. It is not at all like the store cultured buttermilk. I think some save it and use it as the liquid in baked goods. I give it to the chickens  or the pig. Whey is  from cheesemaking, after your milk has been heated with cultures and has made curds the other part is whey. Little Miss Muffett...They whey can be reheated and made into Ricotta Cheese. The curds are usually pressed or at least drained to become cheese. Sorry if it's too much info.

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 07:06:17 PM »
Thanks!  and thanks for the extra info- definitely not too much information!
:)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 04:39:49 AM »
She's right about the buttermilk.  Here's a site with a bit more info on buttermilk, both old fashioned (from the butter) and fermented (cultured milk).

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Cheese/BUTTERMILK.HTM
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 12:05:23 AM »
Ooooh kaaay, so we are completely and pathetically removed from the process of preparing our own foods from scratch. 
As I was making more butter today, it clicked.  This is the MILK from the BUTTER.  Duh.  buttermilk. 
Laura Ingalls Wilder would be rolling in laughter if she was ever asked the question I started this thread with!
  :D

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 05:06:57 AM »
If you are interested in making whey, its really rather simple. If or when you make yogurt, just drain it in a cloth over a strainer and what you get is whey and delicious cream cheese! I use whey in some foods I prepare as well as for soaking flour and oatmeal which makes them so much more nutritious! It is so fun learning new ways to improve our families diets!   :)
~B

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 09:22:30 AM »
Ooooh kaaay, so we are completely and pathetically removed from the process of preparing our own foods from scratch. 
As I was making more butter today, it clicked.  This is the MILK from the BUTTER.  Duh.  buttermilk. 
Laura Ingalls Wilder would be rolling in laughter if she was ever asked the question I started this thread with!
  :D

Well I don't know about Laura Ingalls, but I'm rollin'   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!