Okay....I keep killing my kombucha. What am I doing wrong??
I had one very long span of great kombucha....maybe a couple of years or more, I can't remember. Then, it stopped working. The baby looked different--a very uniform thick pink gel-like material on top (no mold ever), but when I drank the tea--didn't matter how long it had brewed-- it had not converted at all.
I had been using the same tea all along: a mixture of Lipton cranberry pomegranate green tea and Lipton raspberry black tea. I don't know if they changed the tea recipe sometime during that span, but I notice the ingredient list contains things like hibiscus flowers, chamomile flowers, and soy lecithin. Like I said, I've never ever gotten any mold, but I'm wondering about the soy lecithin....possibly GMO? Would that be a problem.
What else...I've always had it brewing in my laundry room covered with a white handkerchief. Temperature stays pretty consistent. I was wondering if maybe the detergent chemicals were somehow affecting it in that small room, but now I don't have any fabric softener in there, and I only have homemade (more natural) laundry detergent. And I use distilled water.
So, now this is my second run at kombucha, and my new scoby worked for maybe two batches and then it died. Just tastes like tea with sugar in it.
Does anyone else have experience in killing their Scoby?