Author Topic: Recipes for Homemade Salad Dressings  (Read 42470 times)

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
Re: Honey-Mustard Dressing Recipe Anyone?
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2006, 02:14:34 AM »
http://southernfood.about.com/od/saladdressings/r/blbb298.htm

Honey Mustard Dressing
From Diana Rattray,

INGREDIENTS:
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon onion, finely minced
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley
1 pinch salt
3/4 cup vegetable oil
PREPARATION:
Heat vinegar and honey in a heavy small saucepan over low heat, stirring until honey dissolves. Pour into bowl and cool. Whisk in mayonnaise, mustard, onion, parsley and salt. Gradually whisk in oil.
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
Re: Honey-Mustard Dressing Recipe Anyone?
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2006, 03:56:38 AM »
http://southernfood.about.com/od/saladdressings/r/blbb298.htm

Honey Mustard Dressing
From Diana Rattray,

INGREDIENTS:
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon onion, finely minced
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley
1 pinch salt
3/4 cup vegetable oil
PREPARATION:
Heat vinegar and honey in a heavy small saucepan over low heat, stirring until honey dissolves. Pour into bowl and cool. Whisk in mayonnaise, mustard, onion, parsley and salt. Gradually whisk in oil.

My oldeset son is just too impressed with his mom now that I can make honey mustard dressing (I doubled this one) and ranch dressing (based on another post in this thread). I went up in some sort of ranking system that sons have.

Best of all it tastes BETTER than store bought!

For the honey mustard recipe, I used grapeseed oil and homemade herbed mayonaise. Because the mayo already had onions & garlic in them, I didn't add any called for in this recipe. EASY, quick and SO GOOD!

My ranch dressing was a bit of a compilation of a few things I saw in this thread.
I put two cups of my mayo (it already has onions, garlic and dill weed in it) in a bowl and whisked in some extra sea salt, cracked pepper, kefir with a couple of packets of stevia (for a faint sweetness). I poured this in a jar and filled the rest with yogurt. Well, YUM!

What a wonderful addition to fresh vegetable salad!
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
Re: Recipes for Homemade Salad Dressings
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2006, 05:08:35 AM »
How long do these salad dressings usually keep in the fridge?  Or do you have to make them fresh each time?  If they keep, how do you store them so they are easy to pour?  I considered getting some of those refillable ketchup/mustard bottles...  Hmmm...

I grew up with a mom who bought pre-packaged *everything*!!   :P  This is one of the most difficult hurdles for me.  I'm so accustomed to having 4 or 5 different bottles of dressing in the fridge! 

I'm gonna try the NT mayo today and I've been making yogurt for months now.  I'm sure having these on hand will make it easier to whisk up some dressing. 

Thanks for all of these ideas!  I'm looking forward to trying some of them!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2006, 07:54:43 AM »
How long do these salad dressings usually keep in the fridge?  Or do you have to make them fresh each time?  If they keep, how do you store them so they are easy to pour?  I considered getting some of those refillable ketchup/mustard bottles...  Hmmm...

I grew up with a mom who bought pre-packaged *everything*!!   :P  This is one of the most difficult hurdles for me.  I'm so accustomed to having 4 or 5 different bottles of dressing in the fridge! 

I'm gonna try the NT mayo today and I've been making yogurt for months now.  I'm sure having these on hand will make it easier to whisk up some dressing. 

Thanks for all of these ideas!  I'm looking forward to trying some of them!

I don't make mine fresh each time. I keep them in glass bottles that hold 16 ounces. They used to have black cherry juice concentrate in them. Glass drink bottles would work. Yes, these do pour. I wouldn't keep it in plastic as the plastic might leech into the food.

If I hadn't been making for a large meal, I might have only made 8 ounces -- but these taste so good, I don't think they'll last long. I have family that likes dressing on all sorts of foods. As for storage, I keep them refrigerated. The mayo is NT (with my additions of onion and garlic), so it has good bacteria from whey growing in it. Additional ingredients like kefir and yogurt also have that good bacteria, so this helps the food to keep well. I also don't worry as much about it sitting outside of the refrigerator when the buffet goes long -- although I don't store it outside of the refrigerator or keep it in direct sun.

In any case, if I saw mold growing or something tasted really "off," I would toss it and make another batch.

HTH

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2006, 11:42:39 AM »
So no plastic storage...  I might try canning jars.  I've got some half-pint and pint jars I can use.  Thanks for all of the tips! 

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2006, 01:10:16 PM »
Our favorite dressing (from Granny Turpen) is made fresh each time and very quick and easy:

1 part balsamic vinegar
2 parts olive oil

Salad Seasoning to taste (can be bought in the seasoning section of Walmart)

Parmesan Cheese to taste

Put everything on the finished salad and toss.
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2006, 01:43:10 PM »
Hey Bek...

Pawel has a slight variation on Granny Turpens dressing from some French relatives of his:

Crush up one clove of garlic
Smash a dash and a half of salt into the garlic, let sit a minute
Add the same amount of sugar/honey as salt
Mix in a 1/2 tsp of stone ground mustard
Stir in about 1/4 cup oil and 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar

Most of this is "to taste"...I just put in measurements I thought were close.
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2006, 07:25:35 PM »
Here is our favorite Blue Cheese Dressing:
2 TBSP. vinegar (we use ACV)
1/8 tsp. salt
3-5 drops of Tabasco sauce
Blend together in small bowl and add:
2/3 cup mayonnaise
Beat until smooth and Stir in:
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/3 cup creamy cottage cheese
Makes about 1 1/3 cups
We often double this.  But it does not keep real well.  Best if used within 3-4 days.
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2006, 08:07:40 PM »
So no plastic storage...  I might try canning jars.  I've got some half-pint and pint jars I can use.  Thanks for all of the tips! 
Buying a glass ketchup bottle and throwing the ketchup out might be easier and cheaper than finding just the bottle.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2006, 07:33:24 AM »
often i have bought "Good Seasons" italian packets (4) with a free cruet attatched.  usually about 2.50 or $3.  even if you don't use the dressing--i love it for a quick fix for pasta salad in the summer--it's a good deal, with a handy pour spout on top.  no dribbling like from a quart jar.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2006, 08:00:36 AM »
To solve the glass bottle problem, use an old olive oil bottle. Just buy a small glass bottle of olive oil the next time you make a purchase. If you purchase some store bought kombucha, use that bottle (they are sold in glass). Often syrups are sold in glass jars (maple syrup). Also, I saw some glass storage bottles (for olive oil and salad dressings) sold on the baking supplies aisle of the local grocery store. Often, it's just a matter of keeping the need in the back of your mind and keeping your eyes open to the possibilities.

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2006, 11:14:58 AM »
I like a raspberry vinaigrette which I mix in the mini food processor.  It's just red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, and frozen raspberries.  I don't know the amounts; I don't use recipes.  I mix it fresh each time.  Sometimes I also add mandarin oranges and walnuts if I have them.

Also, for honey mustard dressing (which we love on salads, and for dipping home made chicken fingers or pretzels into) I just mix (with a fork) Goulden's spicy brown mustard and raw honey.  Nothing else.  It's probably 2 parts mustard to one part honey.  Sorry I don't measure things, it's probably not much of a help.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline Christal

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2006, 11:46:19 AM »
This is supposed to be good for you and I think it taste and smells yummy too.

1 Part Bragg's Aminos
2 part Olive Oil
3 Part Apple Cider Vinegar
Salt and Pepper

My doctor also told me to substitute Udo's Choice oil for the olive oil when I was trying to fix skin issues.  I liked it either way.

Several in our family like to drink the left over, but you have to like the vinegar flavor.
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me."  John 14v6

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2007, 08:28:48 AM »
The squarish, glass, 17oz. olive oil bottles work great for homemade dressings. Several brands, including Walmart's Great Value, have removable reducing pour tops that work great for serving and are easy to remove for washing and refilling.
Those homemade dressings in the glass bottles are sooo pretty and taste soooo yummy ;D. I can even eat Ranch again w/ getting a headache 8)

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2007, 01:11:22 PM »
HB,
I can't believe this recipe was on a thread. I was asking God for a recipe for Ranch Dressing yesterday since the bought kind has MSG in it. I needed the dry mix for Taco soup. Thanks.
We never know what is on this website.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2007, 08:18:32 AM »
Now, I can't take credit for this recipe, it is Naomismama's, but it truly is the BEST!! I had to share.

1 1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup ACV
1/4 cup freshly grated Italian cheese(Parmesan, Romano, Pecorino, etc.)

2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. paprika
2 cloves garlic minced

I put all ingredients in an used and washed dressing bottle and leave on the counter.  Just shake really well before using each time. 

Offline homeschooling madre

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2007, 11:02:03 AM »
Here's our new family favorite for Buttermilk Ranch Salad Dressing, which I found on www.cdkitchen.com.  The freshly ground pepper and parmesan cheese just give it a little extra "something"!

3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon minced dried onion
1 clove garlic - minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

Mix all ingredients except buttermilk in a small bowl.  While stirring, slowly blend in buttermilk.  Chill at least 2 hours before using.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2007, 10:53:18 AM »
I made ranch dressing with 2 cups of kefir, 8oz cream cheese and ranch seasonings.  VERY VERY good.  ;)  I think this is better than the versions with mayo.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2007, 01:13:16 PM »
Instead of the Ranch dry mix, I have been using dill, onion powder, garlic powder, and seasoning salt as the seasoning mix. I have added it to sour cream, yogurt, and homemade chicken patties tonight. Yum! I don't have a ration, so I just kind of mix it until it tastes good.

Offline faith

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2007, 02:26:04 PM »
I make  two salad dressings that everyone loves except for my son -in- love. he he
         tahini dressing
      crushed garlic- at least 2
      2 lemons juiced
      3 tbs tahini- sesame seed butter
       salt and cayenne pepper
        jalapeno pepper- optional
   Put all ingredients in blender , blend and pour over salad.
  Greens, tomatoes , sweet onions, beets, cucumbers avocados, radishes and olives.

Yogurt dressing
        1cup yogurt
        1/4 cup mayonaise
        1/4 to 1/2 cup fetta cheese
         1 clove garlic, crushed
         black pepper
     Mix all ingredients together. Pour on salad.
   Greens, tomatoes , cucumbers.

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2007, 10:54:24 AM »
i have several favorites, one is similar to yours, but maybe a little change would be nice  :)

italian vinegrette--adjust spices according to taste

1/2 c. red wine vin.
1 1/2 c. oil
2 lg. cloves pressed garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. pepper
1 T minced parsley
1 tsp. dry mustard powder
1/2 tsp. basil or oregano

THIS IS MY FAV SALAD DRESSING!!  ;D

1 lg. clove garlic pressed
3/4 c. oil (or less if you like)
3 T. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. worchestire (sp?) sauce
1/4 tsp. dry mustard powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 T. parmesan cheese
sometimes i also add oregano or basil to this

:D hope these help! 

I know this recipe was posted awhile ago, but I am printing off some recipes and wanted to know what kind of oil you use for these dressings.  I made a honey mustard dressing with EVOO and it had too strong a flavor for the dressing.  You could definitely tell what oil I used.  It may not matter in these dressings though.
Thanks,
Lisa

16goingon17

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2007, 08:15:30 AM »
I've only tried the first of these two recipes, but doesn't the second one sound sooo good?!

Honey Dijon Vinaigrette
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 Tbsp liquid honey
1 tsp grainy Dijon mustard (I used regular mustard)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground tarragon (I used dry parsley instead)
Ground black pepper
3/4 cup vegetable oil (I used EVOO)

Cranberry Maple Vinaigrette
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup cranberry juice
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup vegetable oil

Instructions for both: Place all ingredients except oil in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Screw on the lid and shake until well combined. Add oil and shake again. Store in refrigerator.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 08:17:03 AM by 16goingon17 »

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
i have several favorites, one is similar to yours, but maybe a little change would be nice  :)

italian vinegrette--adjust spices according to taste

1/2 c. red wine vin.
1 1/2 c. oil
2 lg. cloves pressed garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. pepper
1 T minced parsley
1 tsp. dry mustard powder
1/2 tsp. basil or oregano

THIS IS MY FAV SALAD DRESSING!!  ;D

1 lg. clove garlic pressed
3/4 c. oil (or less if you like)
3 T. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. worchestire (sp?) sauce
1/4 tsp. dry mustard powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 T. parmesan cheese
sometimes i also add oregano or basil to this

:D hope these help! 

I know this recipe was posted awhile ago, but I am printing off some recipes and wanted to know what kind of oil you use for these dressings.  I made a honey mustard dressing with EVOO and it had too strong a flavor for the dressing.  You could definitely tell what oil I used.  It may not matter in these dressings though.
Thanks,
Lisa

sorry Lisa, i just found this.  i know what you mean, my family doesn't really like a strong olive oil taste either.  i usually use some, and then something else without as much flavor.  i have been using canola (reg. groc. store) or veg. oil; but am going to try some safflower i ordered recently.  i hope it has a mild taste.  just play with the amounts and make the whole amount equal what the recipe says.  kow what i mean?  some of a couple kinds.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2007, 08:04:27 AM »
This is my new FAVE dressing!

Ginger Sesame Dressing

3 TBSP soy sauce
3 TBSP rice vinegar
1 TBSP sugar or honey
2 TBSP sesame oil
1/4 tsp freshly grated ginger

Whisk and enjoy!  This makes enough for about 2-3 side salads.  You can easily double or triple for more servings. 
This dressing is not thick like the store bought sesame ginger that you see, but just as tasty.  Yummy!

Offline Mamacat

• Out to change something....
  • Learning
    • My Soap Box - Or a Healthy View
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2007, 02:42:04 PM »
I need a salad dressing that can be used during a candida cleansing diet!  I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot...I really did search for a recipe on here that would go along with this and just can't find it.  Any ideas ASAP would be much appreciated!  Thanks!

www.ahealthyview.blogspot.com
  Come visit and help bring on the conversation - for those who want the truth and to talk.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2007, 03:22:17 PM »
I need a salad dressing that can be used during a candida cleansing diet!  I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot...I really did search for a recipe on here that would go along with this and just can't find it.  Any ideas ASAP would be much appreciated!  Thanks!

You can't have sugar or vinegar on a yeast diet, right?  I would mix some EVOO and lemon juice.  Toss with herbs(dried or fresh) and some sea salt. 

Offline Mamacat

• Out to change something....
  • Learning
    • My Soap Box - Or a Healthy View
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2007, 04:13:27 PM »
Ok...what is EVOO????  I could live on salad if I just could have a good salad dressing with it.  I was thinking balsamic...but as I've read....that won't work.  I need something to dip my veggies in people -----please help!!!!!!

You can't have sugar or vinegar on a yeast diet, right?  I would mix some EVOO and lemon juice.  Toss with herbs(dried or fresh) and some sea salt. 
www.ahealthyview.blogspot.com
  Come visit and help bring on the conversation - for those who want the truth and to talk.

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2007, 04:15:24 PM »
EVOO = extra virgin olive oil

Em

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2008, 09:27:01 AM »

Most experts will tell you that you can't have vinegar, but based on personal experience, I don't think vinegar is a bad choice.  I've never found any definitive proof, always just some vague explanation that yeasts cross react ???  Don't know what that means, but everything else leads me to believe that all naturally fermented foods are good for you when you are fighting yeast so long as the sugar content of the end result is very low.  That means any vinegar and oil mixture would be great and don't forget lemons are fruits and fruits contain sugar, but so long as you're not using very much, it shouldn't hurt anything.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline zmama

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2008, 01:04:37 PM »
I was just planning to start a new topic to see if anybody had a homeade alternative to Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing.
I found two recipes for ranch dressing on the internet a few years ago and tweaked them to make one recipe our family and friends love.  Now my friends also use this in place of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing for salads and veggie dipping.  I use light all-natural sour cream and either non-fat buttermilk or sour milk made with skim milk.  It keeps for a couple of weeks or more but a batch of this doesn't last a week in our home.  My children now eat raw veggies like crazy since i started making this dressing.  A little bit goes a long way because it's so thick.

1 c. mayonnaise
1/2 c. all-natural sour cream
1/2 c. non-fat buttermilk or 1/2 c. sour milk
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. onion powder
1 t. dill weed
1 1/2 t. parsley flakes
1/2 to 1 t. salt (to taste)
1/8 to 1/4 t. ground pepper (to taste)

Place all ingredients in small bowl and whisk until completely blended.  Adjust seasonings to taste.  Refrigerate for at least 4 hours to allow dressing to thicken and flavors to blend.  Use on salads or as a dip for veggies.

Note: to make sour milk, put 1 1/2 t. lemon juice in glass measuring cup.  Add enough milk to make 1/2 cup.  Let sit for five minutes before adding to mayo and sour cream.