Author Topic: Recipes for Homemade Salad Dressings  (Read 44303 times)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Recipes for Homemade Salad Dressings
« on: May 19, 2006, 06:33:42 AM »
Does anyone have a wonderful tried and true salad dressing?  I have just one basic dressing with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and salt.  But I have been making that for about four years, now and I am sick of it! :)  Any new ideas would be appreciated.  I like absolutely everything, except olives.  Thanks!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
Re: Recipes for Homemade Salad Dressings
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 06:52:14 AM »
i have several favorites, one is similar to yours, but maybe a little change would be nice  :)

italian vinegrette--adjust spices according to taste

1/2 c. red wine vin.
1 1/2 c. oil
2 lg. cloves pressed garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. pepper
1 T minced parsley
1 tsp. dry mustard powder
1/2 tsp. basil or oregano

THIS IS MY FAV SALAD DRESSING!!  ;D

1 lg. clove garlic pressed
3/4 c. oil (or less if you like)
3 T. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. worchestire (sp?) sauce
1/4 tsp. dry mustard powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 T. parmesan cheese
sometimes i also add oregano or basil to this

:D hope these help! 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 06:52:35 AM »
I was just planning to start a new topic to see if anybody had a homeade alternative to Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing.  It fits here, though.   I have been eating more and more raw salads, and adding more and more veggie to them, little by little.    Only problem is I am counteracting it with more and more ranch......

One tip for those who are not sure they are ready to give up their ranch.  I put a spoon of plain yougurt, and them only use half the amount of dressing.  It is a little more healthy, coats your salad, and the ranch flavor still comes through.  

After doing that a while, I think that I am ready to try to give it up -- if I can find a good alternative!

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 09:10:45 AM »
That is a recipe I've been wanting too (we eat alot, esp. on baked potatoes, and I always make it with the dry mix) and for starters I plan to make my own mayo one of these days. A friend of mine makes it all the time using Sally Fallon's recipe in the Nourishing Traditions and its one of the next things on my list. :P Then I need to decide on the right ingredients and amounts for spices...

Can't wait to hear some ideas!

~B

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 09:31:52 AM »
i have tried many homemade versions of HVR which were all vetoed by my loving family..... :P  this is the closest i came to the real thing, and the reviews on here are all 5 stars.  hope somebody likes it.  one of the reviews said to use one c. sour cream (wondering if yogurt could be used?) and one c. buttermilk.  i might try that next time and see if anyone notices....  :-X

sorry--earlier i forgot to put the link!!   ::)
http://www.recipezaar.com/27560
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 11:51:45 AM by fivewittletids »
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 12:07:32 PM »
My friend Loretta makes this and it is SOO GOOD. Most of the woman I know love it...but men don't seem to care for it as much. Serve over bed of greens, baked potatoes, chicken wraps, experiment! Recommended salad mix: red romaine, spinach, cilantro, bean sprouts, shredded Carrot.

1/3 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
3 Tablespoons Water
½ Cup Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
1 Tablespoon Basil
1 Tablespoon Sesame Seed Oil
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 Teaspoon Powdered Kelp
¼ Teaspoon Pepper
Dash Turmeric

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 12:39:57 PM »
i have tried many homemade versions of HVR which were all vetoed by my loving family..... :P  this is the closest i came to the real thing, and the reviews on here are all 5 stars.  hope somebody likes it.  one of the reviews said to use one c. sour cream (wondering if yogurt could be used?) and one c. buttermilk.  i might try that next time and see if anyone notices....  :-X

sorry--earlier i forgot to put the link!!   ::)
http://www.recipezaar.com/27560

I couldn't get the recipe to open.  Would you mind cutting ang pasting it here?  Thanks

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 12:54:46 PM »
the links are working for me, and i can't seem to get the page to let me copy it.   
 ???   i will try to post it here later.....when i have more time.  sorry   :-[

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 02:43:03 PM »
Does anyone have a wonderful tried and true salad dressing?  I have just one basic dressing with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and salt.  But I have been making that for about four years, now and I am sick of it! :)  Any new ideas would be appreciated.  I like absolutely everything, except olives.  Thanks!

I just bought some flax seed.  They taste a bit like sunflower seeds.  I was thinking of adding them to a salad dressing.  I just ate some in my tuna salad and it was yummy and chock full of good fats and fiber.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 02:46:51 PM »
I couldn't get the recipe to open.  Would you mind cutting ang pasting it here?  Thanks

Dry Ranch Dressing Mix  Recipe #27560
Easy to make and wonderful to have on hand. A real money saver. Great to give bottles of these great dry mixes as shower gifts.

15    saltines, finely crushed
2    cups minced parsley flakes, crushed
1/2    cup instant minced onion
2    tablespoons dry dill weed
1/4    cup onion salt
1/4    cup garlic salt
1/4    cup onion powder
1/4    cup garlic powder
To make salad dressing
1    tablespoon ranch dressing mix
1    cup mayonnaise
1    cup buttermilk

42 servings 4 cups
5 minutes 5 mins prep

1. Put crackers through blender on high speed until powdered.
   2. Add parsley, minced onions, and dill weed.
   3. Blend again until powdered.
   4. Dump into bowl.
   5. Stir in onion salt, garlic salt, onion powder, and garlic powder.
   6. Put into container with tight-fitting lid.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 03:08:49 PM »
I was just planning to start a new topic to see if anybody had a homeade alternative to Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing.  It fits here, though.   I have been eating more and more raw salads, and adding more and more veggie to them, little by little.    Only problem is I am counteracting it with more and more ranch......

I found some interesting information on Hidden Valley Ranch and it's original make-up and some similar clones.  I've been meaning to try these myself but haven't gotten around to it.  We eat a lot of ranch.  We eat it on spagetti, pizza, dippers (raw and fried) and just about everything most people eat catsup on.

History of Hidden Valley Ranch

Recipes
http://www.recipezaar.com/47249
cdkitchen.com
chefs.com

Top Secret Recipes
also has one, but you have to pay for it.  I love this website!  Some of their recipes are free but some aren't, plus you can sign up to have free access to one of their pay recipes for a week through your email.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 03:10:26 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Julie G

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 05:32:38 PM »
I have a recipe for salad dressing that I love!!!  Okay, it's not healthy, well, it has sugar in it.  It's a very sweet tangy recipe.  I'm yet to substitute a healthier form of sugar but I'm sure it'd be great with real maple syrup or maybe a little stevia instead...I'll post it as it is in the unhealthy form.

Poppy Seed Dressing

2 Tbsp White Sugar
3 Tbsp Distilled Vinegar
1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tsp Minced Onion
1/2 Tsp Sea Salt
1/2 Tsp Dry Mustard
1/2 Tsp Poppy Seeds

Blend sugar and vinegar for 1 minute, or until sugar is dissolved.  Add remaining ingredients.  Shake and serve.
Ellie:  (when she was 3 years old)  "Mama, you sure got a big butt to sit with!"

Offline FaithAcre

• Learning
    • Faith Acre Farmgoods
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 06:41:30 PM »
Here's my fave..makes a big jar full and it keeps for a couple weeks (if it lasts that long!)

Creamy Italian

2 cups olive oil (first cold pressed is best!)
1/4 cup flax oil (optional, for health purposes only)
1 1/2 cups Apple Cider vinegar (with the mother please!)
3-4 T. Italian seasonings (I use fresh herbs when in season)
2 cloves raw garlic (or more depending on your tastes!)
big ole slice of onion
1/2 cup shredded parmesean cheese
sea salt & cracked pepper to taste
squirt or two of Braggs Liquid Aminos

Whiz this all up in a blender until creamy.  It is SO yummy!  Keep in the fridge and let it sit on the counter for a few minutes before you serve to let the oils liquify again. 
~Tara~
Happy Helpmeet to Kev
Merry Mama to the little ladies

Faith Acre Farmgoods
See my website for the most moisturizing soap you can find: Goat Milk Soap!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 07:52:12 PM »
Anyone know how to make Western dressing?  My daughter loves it, but I don't have a clue what's in it and if you don't tell me, I'll just have to go look it up.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2006, 02:45:46 AM »
These are all really good, and my mouth is watering thinking of a nice juicy, crunchy salad!  I can't wait to try all of these.  Keep 'em coming.  These are perfect!  Thanks everyone!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2006, 03:02:48 PM »
I forgot that I have a really good french dressing recipe.  HB, this may be as close to western as you can get.  This is my husband's grandmothers recipe.  It WAS top secret :)  She used to own a restraunt and this is the famous house dressing.

1 cup oil (I use a lighter oil such as safflower or canola)
3/4 cup sugar (I also substitute with honey)
1/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup vinegar
1 tsp. worchestershire sauce
1 tbsp. finely chopped onion
pinch of dried basil
pinch of garlic powder

Whisk all ingredients well and I store mine in an old ketchup bottle.

Looking forward to salad all this week! :)

Offline Hope64

• Learning
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 03:07:09 PM »
Here's our standard dressing.

1/3 cup balsalmic vinegar
2/3 cup olive oil
5 Tblsp. of raw honey (use to taste)
2 Tblsp. soy sauce or Bragg's aminos
Wisk and serve. 

Offline anynomouse

• Adept
  • my babies
    • Daisy Blue Naturals consultant web page
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 04:49:34 PM »
Anyone have a better/more healthy way of making a ranch type of salad dressing?
How bout any other salad dressing recipes?
My kids love to dip dip dip...in Ranch, Italian, Thousand Island...and my hubby and I are addicted to Blue Cheese dressing. Am I killing my family with these?

This was supposed to be posted up higher, I do see the ranch recipes above this post...please don't think I am a total dork
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 02:38:03 AM by anynomouse »

Offline anynomouse

• Adept
  • my babies
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2006, 10:03:55 AM »
Anyone have a better/more healthy way of making a ranch type of salad dressing?
How bout any other salad dressing recipes?
My kids love to dip dip dip...in Ranch, Italian, Thousand Island...and my hubby and I are addicted to Blue Cheese dressing. Am I killing my family with these?

Sorry I seem to keep putting things in the wrong places, I dont seem to be searching for the right things when I am looking for a post.. so I dont find them or I put things in the wrong spot...please forgive me if I make you restate yourself. I am not trying to go against the rules or do something wrong....I just honestly dont see the threads and so I post. (Yes I am searching on the home page)  :-\ :-[
thanks

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2006, 11:52:26 AM »
Don't worry, it's possible no one has an answer or maybe they didn't see it...I'm sure this is the right spot for your question! I'd try experimenting by making it with yogurt or cottage cheese. Try using skim milk, or homemade mayonnaise. I used to make ranch dip by mixing the powder with fat free cottage cheese that I pureed in the blender. You could probably find a list of seasonings online that is used in ranch dressing and then just find a healthier way to incorporate the dairy/mayo by using whole foods, raw milk, etc.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2006, 01:37:32 PM »
We are trying to improve the search engine.  Do the best you can and we'll do the rest.  ;D  I don't mind "restating".  I generally leave those posts in hopes that new members will read one occaissionally and encourage them to search before they post as well.  No apologies necessary.   ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2006, 05:01:32 PM »
I love this idea:

Mash avacado and mix in lime juice, oilive oil, salt and onion powder. It's similar to guacamole, but thinner and more buttery. Sour cream and crumbled blue cheese are yummy additions to the avacado as well.

Offline anynomouse

• Adept
  • my babies
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2006, 02:39:53 AM »
 ;) ;) THANKS, Makes me feel like I am not a total "dork"

Offline anynomouse

• Adept
  • my babies
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2006, 02:43:02 AM »
I love this idea:

Mash avacado and mix in lime juice, oilive oil, salt and onion powder. It's similar to guacamole, but thinner and more buttery. Sour cream and crumbled blue cheese are yummy additions to the avacado as well.

Perhaps this should be posted elsewhere, I think I asked about this somewhere else....but I didn't click on "watch" that posting area so I lost the post.....About the whole dairy thing...Is blue cheese an OK cheese (when it comes to the homogenization question) and sour cream too...If made from skim milk?

Nickole

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2006, 05:49:15 AM »
As far as a Western salad dressing, we do what Mexican restaurants do - just shredded lettuce with a scoop of guacamole, scoop of sour cream, and "scoop" of salsa.  Mix it all up.  It's my kids' favorite salad.

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2006, 05:56:04 AM »
I love this idea:

Perhaps this should be posted elsewhere, I think I asked about this somewhere else....but I didn't click on "watch" that posting area so I lost the post.....About the whole dairy thing...Is blue cheese an OK cheese (when it comes to the homogenization question) and sour cream too...If made from skim milk?

Hmmm...I don't really know the answer to that. If I were you, I would read the book "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon, which the ladies have been talking about. I think it would probably answer questions on that.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2006, 07:54:17 AM »

Nope, I'm the TOTAL dork.  There can't be two of us or the universe would spin out of control.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline anynomouse

• Adept
  • my babies
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2006, 10:09:25 AM »

Nope, I'm the TOTAL dork.  There can't be two of us or the universe would spin out of control.  ;D
Oh, I think God blessed every state with a few dorks (tsk tsk)
Anyhow....I found this page of organic packet salad dressings, they are inexpensive too :)
they even have RANCH. It is from the same website that someone posted for coconut oil info and sale.
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/organic_salad_dressings.htm

I cant wait until my hubby says "order 'em up!"
 ;)

Nickole

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2006, 09:37:12 AM »
I love this idea:

Thank you!  This was a GREAT guacomole and great in our Mexican salad I posted.  Yum, yum! 

KD

Honey-Mustard Dressing Recipe Anyone?
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2006, 02:06:06 AM »
I really love honey-mustard salad dressing! Does anyone have a good recipe? Thanks! :)