Author Topic: UTI in children  (Read 25226 times)

Offline DoubleGlick

• Learning
    • DoubleGlick
Re: UTI in children
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2007, 04:42:46 PM »
Hi all... any suggestions for a 5 month old with a UTI? We were testing to see if our son's yeast infection was gone (it is!  :) ) and discovered that he has nitrites in his urine. He doesn't seem to be uncomfortable or anything, but from what our midwife told us and from what we've found online, that is an indication of a UTI. Everything I've found so far has been for older children or adults. We really don't want to put him on antibiotics, especially since he's already had yeast (passed to him during birth). We have started giving him a dropper of chamomile/red raspberry leaf tea at each feeding (after looking on Bulk Herb Store), but have no idea how much/how often we would need to give that to him. He is still exclusively breast fed.

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog

Offline DoubleGlick

• Learning
    • DoubleGlick
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2007, 01:25:11 PM »
Another question, is there anything other than a UTI that might cause nitrites in the urine? He still has no other signs of an infection. We don't want to ignore it if he has one, but if nothing's wrong...

YoopreMama

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2007, 01:38:45 PM »
Wish I could help, DoubleGlick...:(  Can pray though!

My dd flared up one day this week after about 6 days of being symptom free.  I used that bit of advice from that file on kidney health...instead of drinking 1 cup of water every 15 minutes, it was simply a drink.  That pretty much resolved things.  One possible cause listed was an improper balance b/w water and sugar intake.  I can see that...

YoopreMama

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2007, 07:36:50 AM »
I have the aforementioned file printed out and thought I'd list some causes of infection for children, as one considers getting to the root cause after treatment:

1.  Not drinking enough water
2.  Holding off going to the bathroom when you need to go
3.  N/A
4.  N/A
5.  A high sugar intake and a low water intake; acid balance is off.
6.  Improper wiping after bowel movement.  Always wipe front to back.
7.  Poor emptying of the bladder.  If you are prone to infection & you covered the above points, try to sit on the toilet & lean forward while urinating to get a nice strong stream of urine.  This empties the bladder better & insures you will have less chance for bacteria to grow.  {Aren't boys recommended to urinate while standing up--to more fully empty the bladder?}
8.  Antibiotics {& something else N/A} imbalance your intestinal & vaginal flora, causing bacteria to grow.

There are many other good suggestions in this 3 page article.  I'll try and link it again...
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2367.msg26804.html#msg26804
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 07:44:47 AM by Yooper »

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2007, 06:42:27 AM »
Patti, how is dd??

I wish I could report my daughter is doing well, but alas, I can't.   :'(  After being off antibiotics for 4 days she came to us with horrible kidney pain and a swollen lymph node.  I took her back to the doctor and he refused to give more antibiotics preferring to believe that her kidney pain is leftover from the swelling she had when she was septic.  I've had two people look at her since then.  My BIL is a doctor and a friend is a naturapath.  BOTH of them said she is not over her infection and desperately needs a stronger antibiotic.  The ND said she would NEVER recommend this unless it was needed; this is still dangerous because if it's still in her kidneys it can easily go back into her blood.  So, Monday AM I will give my doc no choice but to give us something stronger.  If he won't, my BIL will send it to me.  Grrrrr.  I'm so angry with this doctor I could spit nails.   >:(

patti

Offline still*learning

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2007, 10:35:32 AM »
Thank you ladies for all of this information. This weekend my dd age 4 started holding herself after going potty and would say that she had to go but couldn't.

After I figured out what was going on, I started doing several things that I found in this thread that were so helpful.

Here was our regimen:

1. 100% cranberry juice with 2 to 3 drops of grapefruit seed extract
2. LOTS of water
3. Blueberries
4. Probiotics (we use tummy tune up)
5. Reteaching on the importance of wiping properly and not holding too long to go potty

I could not believe how quickly she turned around once this was started. She has had 2 times since yesterday (once yesterday and once today) that after she went she felt like she needed to go again but could not. I will keep up this regimen for another day or two.

I also started monitoring what her urine was like each time - it was not cloudy; no blood and did not smell. I have had enough of these myself to know some of the symptoms.

I also read up online about liquid extract pill forms of cranberry being more effective and D-Mannose also assisting with urinary health. Today we picked up this at Walgreens to try as well.
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100714&navAction=jump&navCount=1&id=prod3123129

It was cheaper than a co-pay at our doctor and much cheaper than antibiotics. I really want to avoid antibiotics and DH will let me as long as tomorrow she does not have any symptoms. After tomorrow she is going to the doctor.

How long did most of you keep up your regimen? When was it completely cured and when did you see improvement?

Offline still*learning

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2007, 01:46:33 PM »
As an update to above, DH called this afternoon and my daughter's episodes with holding herself after going were more frequent so he wanted me to take her to the doctor. I did and she does not have a UTI from the test they did at the office. They are sending it out but the doctor said it is very rare for it to come back positive after a negative at the office.

She is irritated (which I knew but figured it was from the UTI) and the doctor said that is the reason for her discomfort.This happens in young children frequent for two reasons he said: either they are going too frequently (i.e. every time they feel a sensation to go like going every 20 minutes) OR they are holding it too long. This is what my daughter has been doing. I have not monitored her with potty time in so long. She has been potty trained since she turned 2 so it has been awhile for having to instruct on when to go potty.

He suggested warm baths to help with irritation. No bubble baths, no soap for her private parts and showering for actual bathing. Warm baths just by themselves to help with irritation.

Just thought I would share in case this can help another Mama with determining if her child has a UTI.

I will update when I hear back about her urine culture.

Offline homesteadmommy

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2007, 01:34:50 PM »
Maybe someone can help me out. My 3 year old son has an off and on problem.  When he wants to urinates he cries and says that it hurts. We'll look at his penis and notice that there is a slight scab of some sort on the tip - so we'll wipe it off with a warm wash cloth and he will go.  Sometimes he says it even hurts when he goes. We have noticed him to have a drop of blood or maybe a little bit of pus in that area - do you think it is a UTI or maybe someone else has experience with this. The strange thing is there is no pattern - it may not bother him for days and then maybe 3 times in one day but not everytime that he goes. Any advice would be very helpful

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2007, 06:50:01 PM »
Maybe someone can help me out. My 3 year old son has an off and on problem.  When he wants to urinates he cries and says that it hurts. We'll look at his penis and notice that there is a slight scab of some sort on the tip - so we'll wipe it off with a warm wash cloth and he will go.  Sometimes he says it even hurts when he goes. We have noticed him to have a drop of blood or maybe a little bit of pus in that area - do you think it is a UTI or maybe someone else has experience with this. The strange thing is there is no pattern - it may not bother him for days and then maybe 3 times in one day but not everytime that he goes. Any advice would be very helpful

Maybe this will help?

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2367.msg127862.html#msg127862
  My favorite herb book!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2008, 06:53:17 AM »
Bumping for mexmarr...

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2008, 07:19:39 AM »
Bumping for mexmarr...

Oh thanks!  I hadn't seen this.  I will read it now!

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2008, 07:23:21 AM »
Melaleuca has a product called Cran-barrier.  EXCELLENT!

This is what I am giving Lizzie now.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 07:25:57 AM by mexmarr »