Author Topic: UTI in children  (Read 25227 times)

Offline HappyHomemaker25

• Learning
UTI in children
« on: October 16, 2006, 03:36:40 PM »
Forgive me, but Im kinda stressed right now. I tried searching for this and found mostly adult UTI information. If I missed the thread please forgive me.
My 9yod is complaing about burning and inability to urinate. She also indicated that her whole stomache hurt. UTIs are scary things to me and this is my first experience dealing with it with my child.
What would be a safe way to treat her at home. I do have a wonderful homeopathic pediatrician, but there is only 2 doctors there and I dont know how soon we will be able to get in there to see her. Also it is 9:30 at night. I dont know what to do. I remember drinking a lot of cranberry juice when I was growing up and I got them. I was also on antibiotics for it and I would like to avoid those for her if possible.
Once again Im so sorry if Im just repeating a thread.
I promise to try not to do that again.

Thanks
Wife to one amazing husband. Mommy to five blessings through adoption. Expecting our miracle,Miss Lily Grace, 6/24/10.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Re: UTI in children
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 03:47:38 PM »
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2367.0.html

The above is the thread to go back and check when you have more time.

I would give cranberry juice mixed with either a little apple juice or just dilute it with water.  I like the Knudsen brand.  It is a little expensive, but it is 100% pure cranberry.  It tastes beyond nasty, but is better than ocean spray and the others.
There is a tea called Cran Aid(found at local health food stores), but it does have the herb uva ursi that may cause nausea in some people. 
If you search the thread there are some tinctures and an "onion" soup that has been said to do wonders.  I plan on making it this week.
I would not do the antibiotic unless the pain persists for more than a few days or she complains of having any back pain(kidneys).  I wouldn't take chances with kidneys.
My previous UTI's have been fine with cranberry juice in a day or so.  But am currently battling a kidney infection of my own.  Good luck and hope your dd can find some relief soon!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 06:34:42 AM by healthybratt »

Offline HappyHomemaker25

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 03:50:59 PM »
Thanks thats the thread I was afraid I was missing.  ??? Im really sorry for starting another one.
Wife to one amazing husband. Mommy to five blessings through adoption. Expecting our miracle,Miss Lily Grace, 6/24/10.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 04:07:46 PM »
Thanks thats the thread I was afraid I was missing.  ??? Im really sorry for starting another one.

No sweat.  It happens, but next time you're going to going to have to walk the plank or something.   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 03:27:53 PM »
Melaleuca has a product called Cran-barrier.  EXCELLENT!
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline cjanderin

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 11:59:46 PM »
My 5yr old dd has another UTI.  I thought I got rid of it (or maybe I did and it has returned) with cranberries last week but she was complaining of a sore tummy and it hurt when she went to the loo again tonight.  I've just been out to buy more frozen cranberries, some dried cranberries, some blackcurrant juice (the blackcurrant was real berries and the cranberry juice was reconstituted and also only 10%), some cranberry pills and some Vitamin C tablets.  Tomorrow morning I'm going to draw up a little chart to get her drinking as much water as possible and probably use the Vit C tablets as an incentive to drink more.
Anything else??  The doctor was concerned about her UTI's a few weeks ago and prescribed antibiotics for the second time - the first time I gave them to her and they either didn't work or it returned a week later.  She is booked for a renal ultrasound in two weeks time but until then ... what else should I do to get rid of the UTI and at what point do I know if it isn't working? 
How long do they need to have the cranberries before it gets rid of the infection?  I was under the impression that it was within a day or two, maybe three at the most but if that is the case then hers are returning every time she stops eating the cranberries or it's just not working ... ???
Any suggestions ?  :-\
Erin :)  Wifey to Chris and mummy to Marcail (10), Alex (8), Joel (6), Timothy (4), Zipporah (3) and Jeremiah (8months).

Offline cjanderin

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 12:48:21 PM »
bump
Erin :)  Wifey to Chris and mummy to Marcail (10), Alex (8), Joel (6), Timothy (4), Zipporah (3) and Jeremiah (8months).

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 01:25:02 PM »
bump

Getting her to eat garlic could not hurt.  Probiotics will also help, and are a must if she has to be on antibiotics.  I had two daughters with urinary reflux and had to be on antibiotics for several years to prevent UTI's.  This was before my quest at learning natural remedies.  Don't know if there is one for something cronic like that.  They both eventually grew out of it though.  They were both diagnosed as babies, though my first daughter they missed it the first time and she ended up with 3 hospitalizations for the infections.  To this day I worry about her kidneys, if they were damaged or not.  Anyway, keep up with the cranberry and tons of water.  Give the garlic a try if you can get her to eat it! HTH

YoopreMama

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 10:50:11 AM »
I'm trying to differentiate b/w a yeast infection and a UTI for dd.  Burning w/ urination...no other symptoms...maybe itching.  I'm leaning toward UTI [some h(x), but a VCUG during infancy revealed things were fine]...I checked my Smart Medicine book and there were notes on the same thing from LAST October (and no, we don't have Halloween candy).  I am reading the other thread, but since it's a child, I'm checking here...especially for doses...

Here's what we're doing:

Cranberry juice

Uva Ursi tea (not for use under age 6), w/ mint for taste

Echinacea

Vitamin C (I just upped it after reading the other thread)

Frozen cranberries, blueberries, raspberries...sometimes alone, sometimes in a yogurt smoothie w/ flax seed.

LOTS of water

Raw garlic on toast

And now I'm going to try and herbal sitz bath (post-partum kind) for her general comfort.  There's uva ursi, yarrow, plantain, sage, comfrey, witch hazel & sea salt in it.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 02:35:20 PM by Yooper »

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 02:30:27 PM »
I'm trying to differentiate b/w a yeast infection and a UTI for dd.  Burning w/ urination...no other symptoms...maybe itching.  I'm leaning toward UTI [some h(x), but a renal scan or whatever they're called, during infancy revealed things were fine]...I checked my Smart Medicine book and there were notes on the same thing from LAST October (and no, we don't have Halloween candy).  I am reading the other thread, but since it's a child, I'm checking here...especially for doses...

Here's what we're doing:

Cranberry juice

Echinacea

Frozen cranberries, blueberries, raspberries...sometimes alone, sometimes in a yogurt smoothie w/ flax seed.

LOTS of water

Raw garlic on toast

And now I'm going to try and herbal sitz bath (post-partum kind) for her general comfort.  There's uva ursi, yarrow, plantain, sage, comfrey, witch hazel & sea salt in it.

Just because she had a negative scan (VCUG) doesn't mean that she doesn't have some sort of reflux issues.  My dd had a UTI in infancy and her first VCUG came back neg.  It wasn't till many UTI's and another hospitalization at 18mon. that she was tested again where they did find the reflux.

Also, lots of raw cranberries can cause burning during urination.  Cranberry is great for UTI, just make sure she is getting LOTS of water too!.  My ds decided he liked the taste of raw cranberries one year and ate a bunch.  The next day his p***s was on fire when her urinated...we realized it was from the cranberries.

If your dd is potty trained (not sure of age) have her go in a container.  If her urine is cloudy or smells strong, she probably has a UTI, not yeast.  Yeast, for me, was very itchy!!  UTI's are not and just HURT!!

I have had two dd with urinary reflux and plenty of them myself and I have learned by the smell of the urine when they have one.  I could tell so early when they were in diapers that the "quick" test would come back negative and they would send me home like a paranoid mother only to call me in a few days and say that her culture grew out and she did have a UTI!  Normal urine should not have a strong "ammonia" smell, though normal morning urine can be a bit strong.  I can tell the difference in morning pee and infected pee, hey, maybe I should run and put that on the hidden talents thread ;D.

HTH,
Lisa

YoopreMama

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 02:40:45 PM »
Just because she had a negative scan (VCUG) doesn't mean that she doesn't have some sort of reflux issues...

Also, lots of raw cranberries can cause burning during urination.  Cranberry is great for UTI, just make sure she is getting LOTS of water too!...

If your dd is potty trained (not sure of age) have her go in a container.  If her urine is cloudy or smells strong, she probably has a UTI, not yeast.  Yeast, for me, was very itchy!!  UTI's are not and just HURT!!

I have had two dd with urinary reflux and plenty of them myself and I have learned by the smell of the urine when they have one.  I could tell so early when they were in diapers that the "quick" test would come back negative and they would send me home like a paranoid mother only to call me in a few days and say that her culture grew out and she did have a UTI!  Normal urine should not have a strong "ammonia" smell, though normal morning urine can be a bit strong.  I can tell the difference in morning pee and infected pee, hey, maybe I should run and put that on the hidden talents thread ;D.

HTH, Lisa
Lisa,
Thank you SO much for sharing all that you did!  :-* Poor boy, w/ his p***s on fire!   :o  I feel more confident in trying to assess if it's yeast or UTI.  I'll make sure she keeps up the water and try and acquire your hidden talent (PG nose should help).   :D

Any other tips on treating these? 

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 03:00:36 AM »
I'm trying to differentiate b/w a yeast infection and a UTI for dd.  Burning w/ urination...no other symptoms...maybe itching.  I'm leaning toward UTI [some h(x), but a VCUG during infancy revealed things were fine]...I checked my Smart Medicine book and there were notes on the same thing from LAST October (and no, we don't have Halloween candy).  I am reading the other thread, but since it's a child, I'm checking here...especially for doses...

Here's what we're doing:

Cranberry juice

Echinacea

LOTS of water

Raw garlic on toast

I think you are doing about everything that I know of.  For me, nothing works like lots of water!

If she is having pain during urination one thing that helped my girls was to have them sit in a warm bath and pee, it doesn't hurt as bad because the strong urine doesn't touch the irritated skin.  If she can't get into the bath everytime (who can) take a cup of warm water and poor it over her bottom area as she pees, just make sure you have enough to get through the pee time....the strange things we do as moms!!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 03:35:45 AM »
You sure have experience w/ this that translates into wisdom!  I will try and pour some warm water over her as she goes, if there's still burning today.  I never thought of the burning being due to the strong urine...I thought it would be irritated skin from itching...which I don't think she has...She is better today...

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 04:18:11 AM »
Warm salt water in a peri bottle works well, too.  I think the salt helps shrink the swollen tissues and it can help with itching, too.

YoopreMama

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 04:49:17 AM »
DHW-I just responded to a post by you in the hot chocolate thread!  :D  I sure enjoy your posts!  I just put a peri bottle away--thanks for giving me reason to use it!

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 05:19:45 AM »
Yooper, you are a great catalyst for topics on WTM.  Keep giving the rest of us reasons to reply!

Praying for your little one and wisdom for you.

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 01:16:58 PM »
You sure have experience w/ this that translates into wisdom!  I will try and pour some warm water over her as she goes, if there's still burning today.  I never thought of the burning being due to the strong urine...I thought it would be irritated skin from itching...which I don't think she has...She is better today...

Too much experience!!  I just wish I had know about natural ways to prevent UTIs when we were going through this with my girls.  I shudder to think about the damage that may have been done to there bodies from all the antibiotics not to mention the damage that can be done from repeated infections.  Hopefully my kidneys are fully functional so that I can give one to them if needed in the future!

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 04:17:45 PM »
If she is having pain during urination one thing that helped my girls was to have them sit in a warm bath and pee, it doesn't hurt as bad because the strong urine doesn't touch the irritated skin.  If she can't get into the bath everytime (who can) take a cup of warm water and poor it over her bottom area as she pees, just make sure you have enough to get through the pee time....the strange things we do as moms!!!

You can also use a sitz bath (the round tub that sits on the toilet) instead of the bathtub.  It's a little more convenient.  Just wash well after each use!

YoopreMama

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2007, 05:23:03 PM »
You can also use a sitz bath (the round tub that sits on the toilet) instead of the bathtub.  It's a little more convenient.  Just wash well after each use!
That's what we used w/ our herbal sitz bath.  She liked it.  And yes, there is itching.  Anything external, like a salve to apply?  Other symptoms to watch for?  Fever?  Lower back pain?

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2007, 08:07:20 AM »
For itchies and redness in the perineal area we have had good success with Burt's Bees Diaper Ointment.  Miracle salve would probably work as well, but the oil base makes it messier.

A yogurt compress might also help with the itch.

Fever or flank pain might indicate it is moving into the kidneys.  Go ahead and use herbal antibiotics (garlic, cinnamon, oil of oregano, olive leaf, GSE, grape seed extract, etc) AND probiotics.

If she hasn't emptied her bowels, take care of that ASAP.  Amazing what clearing the channels of elimination will do.  (It will also take pressure off her bladder.)

I like D-mannose for UTI's.  Very effective for those caused by e.coli, but not so much for other pathogens.

YoopreMama

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2007, 12:07:42 PM »
Thanks again, DHW!   :)

We've got some cranberry capsules to go w/ our herbal antibiotics...hard to swallow, though (they've never swallowed anything).  I've been putting it in yogurt.  I saw a cranberry tincture, but it was about $20!  :o

I say "they've" b/c now ds is complaining of being a little wet at times...like dd.  I guess I should find out how these are contracted (assuming my diagnosis is correct).  A diluted vinegar wipe helped w/ itching...loose/bigger underwear...breathable clothes...so much water...garlic, echinacea...uva ursi...how long should I let this go?  No other symptoms...been almost a week w/ dd...

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2007, 03:06:18 PM »
Forgot to mention that mannose is the sugar (actually sugar alcohol, I think)  in blueberries and cranberries.

Correction: -ose means sugar, -itol is the sugar alcohol.  D-Mannose is a sugar that is not metabolized; xylitol is a sugar alcohol, also not metabolized.  Both have the effect of making bad bacteria less sticky so it can be washed out.  D-mannose for the urinary tract, xylitol for the respiratory tract.

Have you considered using a Uristick to test their urine?  Should be available at the pharmacy.  If the readings are high enough it indicates an infection.

Just a thought: some times lab work shows clear (even after 72 hours), but discomfort remains.  I would definitely continue to treat the symptoms even if the dipstick is negative.

I would continue with what you are using, leaning a bit more towards either yeast or a possible allergic reaction.  Any possibility this is contact dermatitis?  Maybe skip all soap and just wash with water and vinegar or a bit of baking soda, and rinse their clothes twice after laundering.  Chronic yeast infections can be from contaminated undies.  Microwaving them will kill the bugs - and melt the elastic if you aren't careful!  (Read that years ago and it was so bizarre it stuck with me.)  ;D

I think a strong soak with GSE for the undies might be in order.  Then rinse, rinse, rinse and dry completely.  Sunshine if you have it.

(And little pregnant mama, can you stand on your head and recite the Pledge of Allegiance while juggling 5 fine bone china teacups - in your free time, of course...so many helpful hints, so little time.  Just do what you can!)

On another thread a mom found bedwetting/difficulty potty training was due to chronic constipation.  It took weeks of laxatives to resolve that one.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 05:46:23 PM by DHW »

YoopreMama

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2007, 04:01:05 PM »
DHW--I need to enter your notes into my book in the section on UTIs!  You are amazingly helpful...and funny!  :D  I laughed at your side note...

They're definitely not constipated (vitamin C is helping that along)...thanks for defining mannose...sounded like a sugar...I should get some urine tests...good thing for my tendency to have protein in urine while PG.  :(

Was rethinking our laundering...we only use cold...no microwave but I can do some of the other things you mentioned.  No sunshine...blizzard coming.  Was GES supposed to be GSE? 

They both seem better today...the peri-bottle really helps her out!

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2007, 05:55:47 PM »
Was GES supposed to be GSE? 

Yup.  G-S-E

(I corrected my post.  Did you count points off for misspelled words??)

So glad they are feeling better!  Maybe all better in another day or so.

YoopreMama

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2007, 11:06:47 AM »
Having just gone through abad bad UTI with my daughter I thought I would post what our family usually does for them.  While most people recommend cranberry juice or lots of supplements, I prefer whole foods when it's possible.  Unsweetened cranberry juice is hard to find and the sugar in regular cranberry juice just feeds the infection.  A friend who healed herself of cancer gave me her onion soup puree recipe for UTI's.  I've used it once and it works very well and tastes good!  If I'd known my daughter had a UTI I would have used it on her!

"Onion Puree Soup

Ingredients:

2 leeks, chopped
2 bunches of scallions, chopped
4 brown/yellow onions, chopped
2 purple onions or bunch of shallots or white onions if no purple onions, chopped
1/2 cup organic butter (one stick)
water

Use a pot large enough for all the chopped onions/leeks/scallions. Melt the stick of butter and add all the chopped onions/leeks/scallions. Saute until the onions start to look translucent. Then add water (I used bottled spring water) to cover all the onions. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove from flame and let cool for a few minutes, then blend it all up in a blender until it’s creamy. Salt to taste. (I used sundried sea salt for added minerals. Celtic is a good brand. Don’t skimp on the salt, there are a good mix of minerals in natural sea salt).

I generally took a bowl or large cup of onion soup every hour throughout the day, and continued it for another 2 weeks for good measure even though I no longer had symptoms. I ate it either hot or cold. Didn’t seem to matter."

You might try this soup next time a UTI hits.  I did not have scallions when I made mine and it still worked fine. 

patti
I copied this from the main UTI thread and we're making some now.  What a hoot!  ;D My dd and I were just crying over all of those onions (we followed the recipe in its entirety).  I may post a picture...

She's doing better, but it's taken so long...I'm continuing w/ echinacea, Vitamin C, cranberry capsules (opened in yogurt or the cranberry juice--100%)...LOTS of water and good hygiene.  We took out a lanolin/calendula diaper ointment, too, for the redness that had just appeared.  It helps as a barrier and things look better already.  W-M pharmacy said that they don't carry Uristick.  I'm not sure he understood what I was looking for.  Will try another pharmacy before looking online.  We're looking forward to the soup!  Especially w/ the salt.  ;D

Thanks Patti!   :-*

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2007, 08:01:45 PM »
Hey Yooper,

Glad you like the soup.  It's good, huh?  It's pretty easy to get kids to drink it because it has so much flavor from all those onions. 

I wish I could report my daughter is doing well, but alas, I can't.   :'(  After being off antibiotics for 4 days she came to us with horrible kidney pain and a swollen lymph node.  I took her back to the doctor and he refused to give more antibiotics preferring to believe that her kidney pain is leftover from the swelling she had when she was septic.  I've had two people look at her since then.  My BIL is a doctor and a friend is a naturapath.  BOTH of them said she is not over her infection and desperately needs a stronger antibiotic.  The ND said she would NEVER recommend this unless it was needed; this is still dangerous because if it's still in her kidneys it can easily go back into her blood.  So, Monday AM I will give my doc no choice but to give us something stronger.  If he won't, my BIL will send it to me.  Grrrrr.  I'm so angry with this doctor I could spit nails.   >:(

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

YoopreMama

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2007, 02:37:36 PM »
I'm so sorry, Patti.  :(  Please keep us posted as we pray...

DD's seems to be gone--4th day of no symptoms (after almost 2 weeks of fighting it!).  Praise God!  The cranberry capsules seemed to really help.  Whoever attached a file on Kidney and Bladder health...that is so helpful--thanks!   :)

I saw chewable cranberry tablets at W-M...looked decent.  I'd have tried them if I hadn't already gotten some capsules that couldn't be swallowed. 

So thankful for you all at WTM and avoiding the doctor and antibiotics this time.  :-* I'd like to reserve those for when they are really needed.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2007, 02:51:13 PM »
Patti,

How about Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE)? Studies have shown that it's a POTENT antibiotic that's effective against even antibiotic resistant bacteria. Here is a doesage chart for NutiBiotic's GSE. Keep in mind that if you use Beeyoutiful's GSE it is twice as strong so adjust the doseage.

NutriBiotic GSE Usage Chart

HTH & I hope that she's better soon. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2007, 07:40:01 PM »
Patti,

How about Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE)? Studies have shown that it's a POTENT antibiotic that's effective against even antibiotic resistant bacteria. Here is a doesage chart for NutiBiotic's GSE. Keep in mind that if you use Beeyoutiful's GSE it is twice as strong so adjust the doseage.

I think I have this stuff from bytfl.  Is it grapefruit seed crush???  I would LOVE to give her this.  I was also going to start oil of oregano.  We have been using up the leftover amoxacillin that we had from when she was septic and my sister's husband called in a stronger antiobiotic today and told me to make sure she takes it a full 7 days.  It's the one time I'm thankful to have a doctor in the family!   After 2 days of leftover antibiotics she said her kidneys are not as painful.  She had a swollen lymph node under her arm and now she has one behind her ear also.  I'm so glad we'll have a new doctor in a few weeks.   :(

Thanks for the help and prayers.  It's nuts trying to get ready to move right now.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2007, 07:53:40 PM »
Patti,

I think I have this stuff from bytfl.  Is it grapefruit seed crush???  I would LOVE to give her this.  I was also going to start oil of oregano.  We have been using up the leftover amoxacillin that we had from when she was septic and my sister's husband called in a stronger antiobiotic today and told me to make sure she takes it a full 7 days.  It's the one time I'm thankful to have a doctor in the family!   After 2 days of leftover antibiotics she said her kidneys are not as painful.  She had a swollen lymph node under her arm and now she has one behind her ear also.  I'm so glad we'll have a new doctor in a few weeks.   :(

Thanks for the help and prayers.  It's nuts trying to get ready to move right now.

patti

Yes, Beeyoutiful's Grapefruit Seed Crush is the same thing. It is almost TWICE as strong as NutiBiotic's though so be sure to adjust the doseage from the chart that I linked to.

I'm glad to hear that she's doing better. Hopefully she is completely over it soon. Blessings ~herbalmom