Author Topic: Quitting Smoking- Help, Hints, Etc  (Read 17509 times)

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
Quitting Smoking- Help, Hints, Etc
« on: October 16, 2006, 05:12:06 AM »
Hi...

Well, I've been praying about posting something for the better part of week, haven't received any true answer only I keep hearing 'Chicken, chicken!'....so I'm taking the plunge and posting.

I was saved about 5 or 6 years ago (when our youngest, now 6, was 5 mos old).  The Lord has had a hey day cleaning up my life, so if answers have been slow in your life, I apologize...He's been working overtime on me  ;)

At any rate, I still have one vice from my former life..smoking.  I never smoke around the kids, in the house or in the car.  Most people that know me don't even realize I'm smoker because I have always, always detested it so I tend to seperate myself when I do it.

I have prayed, cried, tried the herbal concoctions they sell at very expensive prices, patches, gum, cold turkey .... you name it...but still I can't beat it.  When I try I get irritable, cranky, short tempered...just not a very pleasant person to live with..mainly with myself.  And yet, I truly detest it because it is such a bad witness for Christ because I know with Christ all things are possible ... and then I fail.

Anyone else have similar experiences?  I keep thinking to myself...deep down somewhere, I must not really want to quit...I don't even know any more...all I know is that I don't like it...and I don't like the fact that people could use my bad habit to slander the Lord.

Thanks in advance for anything you know of that can help!
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline Gabe Rising

• Administrator
  • Master
Re: Quitting Smoking- Help, Hints, Etc
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 05:56:17 AM »
One of the easiest ways to quite smoking is to smoke things that do not have the ammonia base that most commercially available cigarettes, cigars, tobaccos, have.

The best way to do this is to buy high grade tobacco and roll your own. You might want to buy filters, and (this is from observation, not experience) I think that it helps to smoke a number of different types of tobacco. For instance, buy a pipe and pipe tobacco that is additive free. Buy American Spirit or Santa Fe Natural cigarettes and smoke with a filter, and buy some other organic additive free tobacco and roll your own... also smoke with a filter.

Most studies focus on the levels of nicotine and presume (rightfully so in a limited respect) that plasma nicotine levels are the addictive factor in cigarette smoking. However I would disagree. I think that tobacco is not naturally addicting, it is the additives (reference needed here).

I know pipe smokers that smoke once a day, or once a week depending on how much time they have to smoke. The nicotine may be the pleasure in smoking, but it is not addictive in their case. I also know a lot of Navajo and Pueblo indians... and I have never known a full blood indian that is a chain smoker. Why? I am not sure about this, but I think that it is because their culture commonly uses smoke, incense, and actual smoking of various herbs for ceremonial and therapeutic purposes. In other words, back to the idea that smoking a variety of things allows you to understand the negative craving that cigarettes induce.  I think they "know how to smoke" and are thus not addicted. I am not sure I can expand on that idea much... but here is a relevant story:

I worked on many construction sites with Native Americans, and when it came to break-time, commonly one of them would ask for a cigarette from a chain smoking white co-worker. Once lit, he would take a drag and pass it to another Native American worker who would do the same. Maybe five guys would share the same cigarette, the first usually finishing it after it "went around" once, or after smoking as much as he desired offering the rest to whomever wanted it. That was it. That was the only cigarette that any of them would smoke that day.

Once you have understood the way regular cigarettes effect you physiologically and mentally you will be able to put them away, and smoke something less addictive when the craving arises. After a short while (maybe a month or two) I believe that most addicted smokers will be able to completely put the habit away, or smoke at will.

So, just to clarify, when I say smoke a variety of things I am not talking about Marijuana or other illegal drugs, I am talking about cloves or additive free cigarette tobacco, or pipe tobacco, or if you can handle it, additive free cigars or "cigar-ettes" so called  :-X.

Use quality Cedar Incense in the house, and realise that the addiction is not in "smoking"... it is in smoking the cheap, commonly available, additive laden stuff that almost every cigarette smoker uses.

--gabe

PS: I don't smoke and never have. I even tried to smoke cigars once, but... I just couldn't. Nevertheless I think my observations are correct and would like to hear results of such an experiment.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 06:36:50 AM by Gabriel Anast »

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 06:25:16 AM »
PS: I don't smoke and never have. I even tried to smoke cigars once, but... I just couldn't. Nevertheless I think my observations are correct and would like to hear results of such an experiment.

Hmmm...I'm feeling like a lab rat  ;D  Let's see if I can put your theory to test...of course, at this point I'm willing to try almost anything.  I think I'll forgo the cloves though.  The smell of those have always made me ill.  And..kudos to never smoking..I said I never would, but with 2 parents and 2 older sisters that constantly smoked and growing up in a smoke-filled environment, I think it was 'almost' inevitable'.  Of the 6 six kids my parents had, half smoked, half didn't.  The half that didn't were always at friends houses...only coming home long enough to eat, sleep or get clean clothes  ;D  I think there is something to that  :-\

Thanks, Gabe
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 07:58:53 AM »
Well my father struggles with gluttony and I struggle with honesty (and eating chocolate) and the two of us were discussing the need recently.  It is a choice.  I choose to exaggerate, or buy chocolate or consume chocolate. 

I have tried SOOO many times to not eat chocolate, or go the whole day without telling one tiny lie, but chocolate just relaxes me and helps me unwind at the end of the day.  I always give in.  I'd rather eat the chocolate than become the Mr. Hyde I become without it. 

My dad and I decided that before we would lie or eat that second helping we'd pray for Gd to help us not do it.  So whenever I feel the urge, I just pray.  I've also written scripture on cards where I can read them in places that I am tempted (the fridge, the cabinet, the pantry, the telephone) just to remind myself.  And I look at my kids and think that I don't want them to be secret chocoholics or liars, and I don't want to pass it on to them, so it has helped.   Of course I still eat chocolate, just not as much, and I don't lie nearly as much.  I'd like to see a whole month without a lie.  I'm not there yet.

As far as anatomy and physiology, Gabe is exactly right about withdrawal symptoms and replacement.  As far as the spiritual side, really, really pray for this to not be a stronghold in your life anymore.  I will also pray for you when I am praying for my own shortcomings.  Blessings!!
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline clarice415

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 08:04:08 AM »
I can sure relate to what you are going through.  I smoked when I got saved, and detested it, but had no power to quit. In my situation..one day the LORD just took it away, but I know that that does not happen for everyone.  It took a crisis for my husband to be able to quit (he had a heart attack from chewing nicoret gum)-but never smoked again after that.  I did notice though that after we ate ( a typical time to want a cig.) his cravings would be so much worse than they had been all day.  I started to investigate it and found that the tobacco in the US. is processed with SUGAR!!  So eating carbs just increased his desire.  Cutting out the carbs lessened his desire.  So maybe a good start would be to cut your carbs. and doing a cleanse. This would also fit well with what Gabe said=because the unrefined products would be sugar free.  I think this is a dirty trick to double whammy people with addictions. By the way, other countries do not use sugar in their processing tobacco.  I will be praying for you. 
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.
Prov 14:15

Offline Beth

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 10:16:42 AM »
   Hi. Just wanted to encourage you. I too used to smoke. It took me about 6 years after I got saved to be able to quit. It IS HARD. Yeah I hid it from my kids for several years before I could quit. I hid it from everybody. I hated it. I finally was able to quit. But I "quit" probably 5 or 6 times before  it stuck. So don't give up if you struggle. I read somewhere it is almost as hard to quit smoking as quiting heroin. I don't think I believe that but it is hard.        Anyway I also wanted to say that I believe Gabe is on to something. My husband still smokes and desperately wants to quit. He's in the hiding it from everyone stage.  A couple weeks ago I read on another thread (can't remember which) where Gabe suggested smoking cigars or pipe tobacco. And I got to thinking why would he suggest that. Well it dawned on me that maybe it was a different kind of tobacco or something and that made me think of natural tobacco.     So I talked it over with my husband and he agreed to try switching. So we'll see what we see!  He is smoking the American Spirit brand. But I like what he said about switching brands too.  So I'll have to see if I can find a different brand.  I have noticed around here you have to go to a tobacco shoppe to find the natural tobacco.  So I would make sure you bought enough to last so you don't stop at a convenience store and buy the other kind.        I don't know it just makes sense to me. All those chemicals added to it have to be addicting in and of themselves.  At the very least maybe just maybe it isn't quite as bad for you.   I will be praying for you I know what its like. :)
"discontenment is not a product of circumstances; it is the state of the soul." ~ Debi Pearl ~    ...and be content with such things as ye have Hebrews 13:5

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 10:54:02 AM »
Thanks everyone for your replies.  Not feeling so alone now.  I tried the different brand thing once (or twice), but eventually I just got used to the different taste.  Thankfully, I don't smoke that much (perhaps .5 to 1 pack a day)...compared to some, but man alive it is one of the hardest things in my life to come under the power of the Lord.  Stubborn is as stubborn does I guess  :-\

Next time we go to the 'big city' I'll have to check into some natural tobacco.  Someone suggested once I try snuff ... that thought just grosses me out...but then I think, if I get it and know that the only product I can use for the craving is snuff, I'll eventually succomb then get used to it and not care anymore...lol.

Thanks so much again for your encouraging words and prayers.  As the kids used to say 'you guys are da bomb!'

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 11:41:23 AM »

I know what you are talking about!  For 12 years after I was saved I continued to smoke, trying EVERYTHING possible to quit.  My husband smoked, also, and we felt so hypocritical and filthy before the Lord. 

My parents' doctor prescribed 'Welbutrin' for them to quit smoking and they offered to refill their prescriptions for us to take, also.  We asked our chiropractor/naturopath if we should try it - was it safe to take.  He said that it couldn't be more dangerous to our health than the CIGARETTES were!  Well, we took that stuff for three months, total.  We quit smoking about the fifth week and took the meds for two months after to keep off.  It was so much easier than the other methods we'd tried.   Didn't have any trouble with crankiness or cravings.  Highly recommend it!

Yes to the chemicals and sugars in American tobacco. That industry is lying to us and keeping folks addicted.  Shame on them! 

Praying for you.  Keep your diet as good as you can to support your systems reactions to the change.  Tobacco affects you in many ways!
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline clarice415

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 02:22:03 PM »
I remembered a funny thing today about when I used to smoke. I felt so guilty about it and then felt guilty for trying to hide it.   I used to read my Bible and smoke at the same time ???, and I remember one Sunday opening my Bible in church and I thought that I saw smoke come billowing out of it, I thought that everyone around me could see it too. :o  Even that didn't help, it was a while after that even before I quit.   ::)
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.
Prov 14:15

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 02:58:33 PM »
http://quitsmoking.about.com/cs/nicotineinhaler/a/cigingredients.htm

The previous link is a list of some of the ingredients in cigarettes.  I think I know what Gabe is talking about.  The cigarettes used by Native Americans and Europeans in general do not have all of the toxic chemicals found in "American" cigarettes.
Our great-grandparents smoked a different kind.  Yes, it had nicotine and tar(much smaller amount), but not all the "addictive" fillers that have recently(within the past 30-50 years) been added.  It has been proven that the cigarette company has added certain ingredients to our cigarettes to make them more addictive. There is a "hollywood" movie about this, called, The Insider.
My friend in Germany smokes, but she says that she can quit at any time.  And she has in the past like it was nothing.  They just don't have the fillers like we do.
 But it is like any drug, you have to get yourself to a point where you just don't want to do it anymore.  I am not a smoker and never have been, nor am I close to judging anyone for doing it.  I was terribly addicted to caffeine, which is just as bad, IMHO.  I drank a ton of coke and coffee.  I finally gave it up just to switch to green tea.  I justified my caffeine habit with "I drink green tea for the antioxidant benefit", but I was lying to myself.  I had to give it up.  Every once in awhile I will have a cup of tea, but I just cannot make a daily thing out of it.
If you want to get yourself off of the bad stuff before you try to quit the habit, there are some "organic" cigarettes out there.  Kinda an oxymoron to me, but I have never suffered the dangers of smoking.  So, sorry if I find it humorous. It is all natural tobacco with none of the dangerous chemicals or addictive additives like Gabe was mentioning.
Good luck with kicking the habit and I would love to know what works for you.

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 03:08:11 PM »
ROFL at the 'organic tobacco'.  Yes, I know what you mean.  I've done so many of the disgusting things to try to stop (including putting them out in a milk jug with a bit of water in the bottom and having to smell it and see it). 

Sometimes I justify it as the 'thorn in my side' as Paul said.

But the only joke, in the end, is on me.   :'(

Offline naewood

• Adept
    • Sunset Acres Rat Terriers
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 03:52:55 PM »
Gabe and all others who might be interested, I will tell you what dh went through trying to quit.  He started smoking at age 12 I believe.  Got into other drugs and alcohol too.  Anyway, when we got together he was smoking over 2 packs per day.  After we got saved, he quit, cold turkey, said it was easy.  Well about 3 years later he started again.  Only he started chewing.  He knew I would be able to smell the smoke on him.  He works in a terrible environment where everyone chews or smokes.  Not an excuse just the facts.  Anyway last winter he decided he wanted to quit again.  He started smoking, thinking he would get off the chew and be able to quit smoking easier.  Really if you think about it, he chewed far more than he smoked.  So he thought it would wean him a little at a time.  Well that didn't work, it only made his cravings worse.  He decided to try cigars and pipe tobacco.  But it was still the same.  He only found himself wanting to lite his pipe more frequently.  Through all this, I did not nag.  I prayed and prayed that God would take this away from him once and for all.  Finally without my knowledge he quit cold turkey again.  After about 2 days of real crabbiness, he told me he had decided to just quit.  I praised God.  It took him about 2 weeks to get back to normal.  He was so grouchy those two weeks.  Well now it has been about 10 months and he says he still doesn't have a day that he doesn't think about smoking.  But he has been able to abstain.  I pray God keeps him strong in his struggle.  He also has put on about 25 lbs and eats constantly.  I would love to get him to do a cleanse.  I am sure his body still has much build up from his years of abuse.  Anyway, I just wanted to share his story.  I don't think when he tried the cigars or pipe tobacco that it was natural tobacco, but I may be wrong. 

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 04:14:22 PM »
Well, I did  a search for 'organic tobacco' ... no cigar  :D ... Guess I'll do a search for 'natural'.

Thanks for the stories and encouragement.

My husband used to 'dip' on and off.  He can start and stop at his leisure.  I believe some people just have an addictive nature and some don't. (To certain things anyway).

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 05:28:11 PM »
I think Gabe is right on with his observations about addictions. The cheep stuff leaves the person feeling unsatisfied and wanting more. A higher quality experience will satisfy. This is true of just about any addictive substance -- even food (empty calories vs. nutrient dense foods).

It reminds me of a story I read in the book My Father's World. Mr. Red (who still works at the local health food store) had a man working on his property. The man was a great worker, and Mr. Red really needed his help. The man was an alcoholic, and it wasn't long until the bottle looked much more attractive than a day of hard labor with Mr. Red.

The man laid out of work a couple of days, and Mr. Red got concerned went looking for him. He spoke to the man's wife and asked her how he could get the man back to work (he was a REALLY good worker). Her response was that the only way she knew was for Mr. Red to offer him a drink of some expensive liquor that he could never afford otherwise. Mr. Red didn't keep liquor around, so he had to make a special shopping trip (you'd have to know him to know how funny THAT was). So, for the price of a days wage and a glass of hard liquor (at the end of the day), Mr. Red had his worker back and happy.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 06:38:15 AM »
I was reading up on Lobelia at the bulkherbstore and found this

Notes:

Lobeline, a primary active alkaloid in Lobelia is chemically and physiologically similar to nicotine, without nicotine’s addictive properties. It has been used in “Stop Smoking” formulas for many years, as it reduces the cravings associated with nicotine withdrawal. It may even be smoked – alone or in combination with Mullein – to help repair the damage to lung tissues.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2006, 11:09:56 AM »
Huh...I'll have to go there and check it out.  Thanks.

Offline herbalmama

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 01:43:48 PM »
Just be careful with the amount of lobelia,too much can make you toss up all of your cookies   :P

Offline blessedmamadp

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 02:26:35 PM »
Anyone know how to do a lung cleanse?  I heard of a lady doing one once and coughing up a bunch of black stuff.  But I could never get the info on what she did.

I'm interested in it because I grew up with mom and dad both being heavy smokers.  Us kids always tried to get them to quit, but my dad was one of those that would blow it right in our face if we coughed around him or complained.  He gave us kids beer too at a young age, but that's another story...

When I was a teen-ager, I began to change for Christ.  I'd always had a guilty conscience about smoking (I'd started around 12) and drinking.  Finally, at 16-17 years old what made the difference for me was a re-programming of my mind.

I'd remember pictures of damaged lungs we saw in health class everytime I looked at cigarettes.  I'd constantly remind myself of the BAD stuff about it.  The smell, the damage, the way it messed with my body, etc.  The same with drinking (remembered pictures of diseased livers too).

It worked for me.  It might work for someone else.  Of course, I understand that I was younger, smoked only off and on during those years and I know it is harder to quit the longer you smoke.

My mom used candy to quit...but then secretly started back again, maybe because of what ya'll said before about the carbs making you crave it more.  I wish she'd do something else to quit again, but she claims that smoking is her 'medicene' for fibromyalgia.  It is frustrating.

Blessings,
Dawn

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 02:52:28 PM »

I'd remember pictures of damaged lungs we saw in health class everytime I looked at cigarettes.  I'd constantly remind myself of the BAD stuff about it.  The smell, the damage, the way it messed with my body, etc. 

Ha ha haa!  No, I am not laughing at you, but I am remembering what we kids did to my parents, who were smokers.  We stayed up in the middle of the night one time and drew pictures of good lungs vs. bad lungs.  We drew pictures of :  this is your brain, and this is your brain on cigarettes.  We also drew pictures of our parents funeral and us kids there crying over them.  They truly were a hysterical concoction of propaganda!  We went through two 500 sheet notebooks  of paper and hung them ALL over the house.  You should have seen them that Saturday morning.  My Dad was mad, but my Mom laughed for the longest time.
Well, both parents quit the habit a few weeks later.  I don't know if it was the drawings or just because we were so crazy!!  :D

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 09:23:26 AM »
I know that this thread is a little old, but wanted to add something that my husband has been sharing with me.  Apparently, the men that he works with(he is in construction) are quiting because of the new anti-smoking ban in Ohio.  They are getting what is called "shots" behind the ear.  ??  It sounds painful, but the guys at work say it isn't.  But....then again, don't think a construction man would admit the pain, anyways!! LOL!!  :D
Anyways, it supposedly takes away the craving, immediately,  and they say it is a million times better and easier than quiting cold turkey or anything else that they have tried.  HTH!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 04:40:24 AM »
The replies in this thread related to the morality of smoking were split and moved to 7xSunday.

http://www.7xsunday.net/forum/index.php/topic,18407.0.html

I didn't know exactly where to put it, so when the moderators over there get a chance, they may move it again.

~hb
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbaldad

• Learning
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 08:59:30 PM »
This is actually herbalmom under my DH's screen name. He has smoked for 40 years (pack a day right now) & like most smokers would love to quit & has tried many times.

Because of that, it got to to thinking about the fact that we don't have a thread on quitting smoking so I asked him if he would like me to start a thread on it to maybe pick up some ideas & hints that would help him. He liked the idea & since he's been a WTM member for a long time but hadn't posted & the info is for him he gave me permission to post under his account instead of mine.

So if you have any hints, tricks, product recommendations, etc to help quit smoking this is the thread to post them on.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 09:07:22 PM by herbaldad »

Offline herbaldad

• Learning
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 09:14:26 PM »
Something we have found that really helps is Smoke Free formula from Herbs Etc. It contains Lobelia, Oat seed, Licorice, Osha, Passionflower, Pleurisy Root, Grindelia, Mullein leaf, Ginger.

Also Herbs Etc's Nervine Tonic helps as well. It contains Passionflower, Valerian, Oat seed, Black Cohosh, Skullcap, Betony.

Keeping the blood sugar up by reg doses of licorice root help also.

Also, at least for DH he can use a pipe instead of smoking cigs & most of the time it's in his mouth it's not even lit so he smokes much less total tobacco than when he smokes a pipe instead of cigs. I think he's going to switch to a pipe to at least cut down on how much he smokes.

So that's what I can think of right now. Please add ideas & hints if you have any. TIA.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2009, 03:50:18 AM »
There is a suggestion here:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2942.msg47008.html#msg47008

Our local health food store sells herbal kits for quitting smoking and they seem to work.  I read that chamomile helps with addictions.

Offline rainygladness

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2009, 08:46:18 AM »
I don't have any herbal suggestions, but I have two success stories.  My dad smoked from the time he was 12 (!) and thought he would never be able quit. It had been a crutch in his life for 40 some years! I honestly thought I'd never see him without a cigarette in his hand. 

After he developed Type II diabetes in his 50's, his doctor told him he really needed to quit smoking.  But he might just as well told him he had to fly to the moon.  Then one day he was given a little book called "Prison to Praise". He read it straight through and said he decided to take God up on His promise to deliver him.  He never smoked again!  A miracle!

A similar thing happened to me 15 years ago. I had smoked from age 16 to 24.  I had tried to quit over the years but it was useless.  When I was 25, I got radical about my faith, and decided I was going to trust God to be my strength over that addiction and I threw my cigarettes away.  One day led to another and I never smoked again. Didn't have withdrawels, cravings, nothing.  Another miracle.

Herbs and natural measures are amazing, but God is still doing miracles.  :)
HTH

Always remember you're unique - just like everybody else!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 08:00:09 AM »
x
  My favorite herb book!!