Author Topic: Effects of natural antibiotics and yeast?  (Read 3733 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Effects of natural antibiotics and yeast?
« on: April 15, 2006, 11:38:18 AM »
I just made a new batch of hair rinse and it's equal parts lavender, chamomile and peppermint infused in apple cider vinegar.  I'm not sure, but I think the lavender is making me itch  :-\  I'll have to do some scientific experiments, but it occurred to me that lavender is antibiotic.

Any of you candida gurus know if natural antibiotics encourage yeast growth in the same manner as broad spectrum antibiotics? 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline simplecountrygal

• Learning
Re: Effects of natural antibiotics and yeast?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 01:42:36 PM »
Not sure on this one...but I have a product, Restore by Intimate Solutions, which is basically a mix of oils designed to restore (hince the name) "microorganism ecology and discourage the growth of fungi and bacteria" in the vagina (although great when used on my baby's yeasty bottom).  I trust this product as it is made by Shonda Parker...mother of 7, family herbalist, author, and gracious mentor :).  Essential oils included are: Lavendar, Tea tree, Frankincense, Bergamont, Sandalwood, and Rose Geranium (and sometimes Myrrh).  What part lavendar plays....I don't know.  Just thought I'd throw this out there.  I think she has some great info on this in her revised book Mommy Diagnostics, but a friend has borrowed it from me.  I'll check it out as soon as it returns.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 04:21:22 PM »
I've decided the lavender was not the culprit, but I'm still interested in your thoughts.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Gabe Rising

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 05:33:19 PM »
Most herbal antibiotics do not tend to be "broad spectrum." The exception is Grapefruit Seed Extract... but then that's not really Herbal.

There is a wonderful book called Herbal Antibiotics which is a great natural antibiotics primer.

It is published by Storey Books which publishes so many books that I would recommend that I will just recommend the publisher.

--gabe

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 06:19:01 PM »
Most herbal antibiotics do not tend to be "broad spectrum."

What about garlic?

Also, if GSE and/or garlic is broad spectrum, would you need to probiotic after using it?
  My favorite herb book!!