Author Topic: Can I cleanse during Pregnancy?  (Read 9350 times)

Offline bintiwangu

• Learning
Can I cleanse during Pregnancy?
« on: April 10, 2006, 06:23:02 AM »
For a bit of background...I started taking the Supermom tabs about a week ago.  I am 37 years old,  "currently" overweight, and hoping to get pregnant with my 5th child.  I have done the lemonade and kidney and gallballer cleanses in the past; however nowadays I'm either pregnant or nursing. I nurse for around a year and don't have a cycle during that time.  Since finding this website, I realize that maybe I have found people who can answer this question for me!

Can I do any cleanses while I am pregnant or while nursing?    The concern would be can my baby do well while I am only drinking lemon juice and maple syrup...I have plenty "Stored Fat!"  :D   Also during the cleanses they usually recommend not taking other supplements.   So, no supermoms?

Offline mamasboys

• Adept
Re: Can I cleanse during Pregnancy?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 08:56:43 AM »
I believe fasting during pregnancy is a no-no.  Your body will be dumping all the stored toxins into your system to be eliminated.  These toxins make you sick twice - once on the way in and again on the way out.  They will be released into your blood and will cross over your placenta.  If you are taking Supermom or juicing vegetables, green drinks, etc. then you're also taking in a lot of super nutrients that can help to minimize the effects of the dumped toxins, but I don't think it is worth the risk of subjecting the developing baby to some of the environmental toxins, pesticides, additives, etc. that our body is holding onto.  Also keep in mind that our fat stores contain a ton of toxins as well so to simply have your baby living off of your fat stores wouldn't be an optimum situation for someone who is trying hard to grow and develop. 
But, I do believe that you can clean out your system with whole foods and supplements that will keep you and the baby healthy by ebbing out the bad and ebbing in the good.  What I would do (well, AM doing as I am 7wks pg!) is taking 1 supermom with additional spirulina in the morning along with a coral calcium supplement, I take a green drink (perfect food by Garden of Life) around lunch time with another coral calcium and then another supermom and spirulina in the later afternoon.  I'm trying to keep my food intake as pure as possible (all organic, high protein, whole grain, etc.) and drink lots of water with lemon throughout the day.  The water keeps everything flushed and flowing.  Lately, I've also added a psyllium fiber drink in the morning (do NOT take with supplements as the fiber will bind to the nutrients and just flush them out of your body so that you aren't able to absorb them - take fiber 1/2 hour before or 1 1/2 hours after meal, vitamins, etc.) which helps to loosen all decaying fecal matter in your intestines and colon and sweep it all out.
After your baby is delivered and you've finished nursing is an EXCELLENT time to do a cleansing fast but as we're dealing with built up poisons, I think it would be better to hold off.
Hope that helps!
Andrea

Offline advena

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 09:29:38 AM »
I have a couple questions: I, too, am either pregnant or nursing and will most likely remain so, if it be God's Will, until I am too old to have more children. (Man is not intelligent enough to make decisions that will affect all of eternity.)
My questions are:

Is it safe to take concentrated chlorophyll mixed with water? What are its benefits?

Any recommendations for getting rid of blackheads? Once and for all?!

What would help the nasty afterpains after childbirth? I tried something from Tri-Light Herbs, but it seemed to make the pains more noticeable and completely wreaked havoc with my throat. My labour (I'm Canadian, the word is spelled right ;) pains are nothing compared to my afterpains. Any ideas?

What is good for varicose veins? I've tried butcher's broom, bilberry, Veno-Care...any other suggestions?

And, I'm embarrassed to ask, but what would be a good libido enhancer during pregnancy and nursing? Any one have any ideas?

Offline mamasboys

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 10:50:10 AM »
Since chlorophyll is a whole food I would say it would be fine.  I certainly wouldn't hesitate taking it.  It boosts the blood and I think it would be great.  We've talked a lot about spirulina on this site and it contains a lot of chlorophyll as well as protein and B-vit which help with energy, bloodsugar, mood, etc.  so you might want to consider that as well.
As far as the afterpains go, I got an herbal product after my last baby and it worked great!  What I felt when I nursed was more like a dull period cramp than the painful contraction that makes you double over!  It is called After-Pain Relief and contains crampbark, black haw, St. John's Wort and Yarrow.  You can order it from Mountain Meadow Herbs 1-888-528-8615.  A 2oz bottle is $13.95 and 4oz bottle is $27.50.  I believe I got the 2 oz bottle and ended up with leftovers.  My midwife gave it to me the minute I delivered and my after pains were nothing like they were with my 2nd. 
They also have a product called Maxi-Milk that enriches and increases your milk supply that I loved too. 
I can't find my herb book right now but I remember reading that cayanne pepper was great for varicose veins.  You might have a little stomach upset for a day or two until your body acclimates but it is supposed to be great for varicose veins. 
As far as the blackheads and libido go - I don't know   :(  Maybe a make up a mask with bentonite clay to draw the black heads out??  If you find a good libido booster, please post it as I'm sure there are many of us who would be interested   8)
Andrea

Offline advena

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 05:20:34 AM »
Hi Andrea,
thank you so much for replying......do you know in what amounts one might take cayenne? And I'm assuming it's just the spice, is that right? Thank you again for that after pain relief info and number.....GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
~Holly

Offline mamasboys

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 12:45:52 PM »
Hi Holly.  I KNOW I read a story about a midwife who treated her patient's varicose veins with cayanne with great success because it increases the blood flow in your system, but I just found my herb book and it is actually saying to avoid cayanne but is referring to the varicose veins related to hemorrhoids, so I'm not sure what to recommend for you! 

The book is called "Wise Woman Herbal Childbearing Year".  It is VERY new age, but has some great therapies and info on herbs and how to use them during pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum.

Here is what it recommends for varicose veins:
*  Swimming or brisk walking as they are great exercises for the circulatory system.
*  Wear support stockings
*  A 5 minute leg massage daily
*  Raw garlic, onions and lecithin (in the liquid form) helps veins maintain or regain elasticity
*  Okra, buckwheat, oats, wheat germ and green leafy veggies nourish and strengthen the entire circulatory system.
*  Vitamin E supplements are helpful in preventing and reducing varicosites;  up to 600IU daily is considered safe (but not in the last trimester as vit E can act as a 'glue' to adhere your placenta to your uterus and that is something you want to come out easily after birth)
*  Oatstraw tea to strenthen the capillaries
*  Nettle leaf infusion improves teh elesticity of veins
*  Parsley raw or as a ea is beneficial to the veins
AVOID:  Aloe Vera products, tea of yellow or white sweet clover as these herbs draw blood to the lower half of the body and can increase the problem.

You might still want to research the cayanne approach (if you're not having problems with hemorroids).
Hope that helps!
Andrea