Author Topic: Nosebleeds: Causes & Cures  (Read 30214 times)

Offline faith

• Adept
Nosebleeds: Causes & Cures
« on: April 22, 2006, 04:58:46 AM »
My little angel who is 3 , had fallen and hit his nose,  and since then he has had quite a few bloody noses that start if he bumps it and it even started in his sleep a few times. Can anyone tell me anything useful? he seems to lose a lot of blood each time! He is so sweet and Im also not sure if he could stand anyone going up his nose at the dr.'s office!
yasmine

Offline Julie G

• Adept
Re: Nosebleeds: Causes & Cures
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 07:38:55 AM »
My friends little boy, (actually he was 3 at the time also) had a similar problem.  He fell and hit his nose very hard.  After checking to make sure nothing was broken she concluded that he must have a slight tear in his nasal passage.  She avoided garlic of any sort, (since it thins the blood) and just treated the reoccurring nosebleeds as they came on, (I believe just with pressure).  I remember her saying it was trying...but eventually the nosebleeds tapered off and he's not had any nosebleeds for months.  Maybe someone else has more treatment options.
Ellie:  (when she was 3 years old)  "Mama, you sure got a big butt to sit with!"

Offline mrsroeser

• Adept
  • my loving family :)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 08:08:46 AM »
HI... I had so many nose bleeds as a child...Saturated pillows in the morning, etc.. etc..  I finally went to the dr when I was a young teenager because I had a steady flow of blood coming from my nose for what seemed to be at least a half hour... They cauterized the blood vessels by sticking a silver nitrate swab up my nose... It burned like crazy!!  But only for a very short time... I never had another nose bleed after that.. Until then... I used to put ice on the back of my neck and lean forward to stop the bleeding... That way I wouldn't swallow any of it.. That worked in most cases...
anyway.. if they get real bad I would just skip all the mess and have the silver nitrate thing done... its super fast and simple and it takes care of the problem.. he'll cry for sure... but he'll be over it by the time you leave the dr office.

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 03:08:00 AM »
Another herb I don't know the details of....
I just read that shepherd's purse should help if applied topically.      ~L

Offline ecajean

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 08:12:31 AM »
My son also had a bunch of bloody noses when he turned three. Never fell or anything and after a while they stopped happening. The doc said something about the weather turning and the air drier. But I'd ask at his next appt.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 11:07:04 AM »
I my daughter has started getting bloody noses.  Sometimes it is so much blood.  I'd like advice on two things.  First, what should I do to help stop the bleeding, and second, what could be some possible causes and preventions. 

I should mention that I talked to my MIL and bloody noses seem to run in their family....

Offline Bethany

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 12:40:51 PM »
Prevention: I've heard increasing vit. C helps.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 02:34:03 PM »
Prevention: I've heard increasing vit. C helps.

hmmm... she takes some everyday.

Offline MomOf6Girls

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 03:42:28 PM »
Our family uses Melaleuca supplements and products and I have a close friend who has had daily nose bleeds since she was two weeks old.  Since she started taking the Melaleuca vitamins she has had only a few.  I was with her when she had her last one.   We were on a trip together and she had forgotten to pack her vitamins.  I can give you her email address if you'd like to talk to her. 

Melaleuca's multi-vitamin is patented.  (They are a registered pharmaceutical company - Subject to inspection by the FDA.)  The patent is on the delivery system that allows your body to absorb up to 90% of the minerals and vitamins.  They have really made a difference in our health and our body's ability to fight off the yucky stuff.  In our family of 8, we had only 3 sick days all winter long, and that was only 3 of the kids.  (The children's vitamins are also patented.)  Anyway, I hope this helps in some way.

God bless!
Rhonda
Todd's Help Meet and
Mom to Courtney, Casey, Christin, Carrie, Caylee, Carly, and Camryn (ages 2 months, 4, 6, 8, 10, 14, and 17)

Offline ginimom3

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 05:20:30 AM »
My father has had a nosebleed for about an hour and it won't stop does anyone have any suggestions to stop the bleeding so he doesn't have to go to the hospital.

thanks
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 05:24:04 AM by ginimom3 »

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 05:23:47 AM »
Yes, pinch as hard as you can where the cartilage meets the bone.  You may have to pinch for many, many minutes.  Do not ease up for one second.  Hold his head FORWARD and not backward. 

DO not blow his nose hard or stick anything in it for 24 hours.  Tomorrow (and every day after) put a little vaseline or neosporin in it to keep it from getting dried out.  (Be careful not to poke inside his nose.)  Using a humidifier will also help.  And drinking lots of water. 

I used to get nosebleeds every day; I understand.  I know it looks like a lot of blood, but he's probably fine.  All they'll do at the doc is pack his nose, or cauterize it, which never helped me.  As soon as you take the pack out, it pulls the scab off an starts bleeding again.  Just hold his head forward so he doesn't swallow blood and it irritate his belly.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 05:26:10 AM by ShabbyChic »
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 05:35:27 AM »
Cayenne is great for stopping bleeding. I would maybe mix a little with coconut oil or something like that to be able to apply it inside the nose. Or maybe just dampen a Q-tip and apply. Be careful, though...mucous membranes inside the nose are tender and you wouldn't want to disturb any clotting already taking place, making things worse.

A cold ice pack to the nose would also help to constrict blood vessels and slow the bleeding down.

HTH
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 05:36:02 AM »
I second what Shabby Chic said & want to add that if you have any cayenne have him take some. 2 capsules if you have them, otherwise about 1/2 - 1 teas in some water or mixed w/some honey. Even grocery store type will help some & if you don't have anything else he could even drink Tabasco (red) in water but the cayenne that is sold at the HFS is a better choice because its stronger & better quality than what the grocery store carries. Cayenne helps stop bleeding & does so quickly. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Sunshine06

• Psalm 115
  • Adept
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 05:41:37 AM »
Hi. I hope your father's nosebleed has stopped by now, but for future reference, these are a few things that I have done. Wet papertowel in cold water and hold under nose (cold helps slow blood flow and the wet keeps it from sticking to the blood clot and pulling it out once the bleeding slows). Hold a piece of ice against the bridge of nose (on side that's bleeding) while applying pressure (once again, cold slows blood flow). Like shabbychic said - don't tip head back and don't blow nose or use anything rough in it.

I used to get nosebleeds regularly and some were quite bad (gushing from both sides of nose for an hour...yea, wasn't pretty). I read somewhere that umeboshi plums help, so I have umeboshi paste in the fridge to take semi-regularly and moreso when I'm getting nosebleeds.

I also read somewhere on here that cayenne pepper helps slow blood flow if you have a wound that you can't stop. I haven't tried it, but they recommend taking the powder with some juice.

HTH :)

Non nobis, non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam.
Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto Thy name give glory.

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 06:10:32 AM »
Hey where do you get those plums from?  Do you make the paste from fresh plums?  How long does it last?  Okay, spiil it!  Give us the scoop!
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 06:11:22 AM »
Here is a link to natural ways of helping stop nose bleeds. By use of herbs and techniques.

http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_noseb.htm
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 06:06:56 AM by BJ_BOBBI_JO »

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 06:35:53 AM »
Hey where do you get those plums from?  Do you make the paste from fresh plums?  How long does it last?  Okay, spiil it!  Give us the scoop!

It's a special type of plum that doesn't grow in the US. You can get the preserved plums & the paste at the HFS w/the microbiotic foods. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline ginimom3

• Learning
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 09:18:12 AM »
Thank you everyone for your suggestions we tried cayenne tea and put ice on the nose along with a yarrow and black walnut hull poutice and all the bleeding stopped.  No trip to the emergency room.  I appreciate the quick response ya'll gave . 

Thanks again
Ginimom

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 10:05:40 AM »
Thank you everyone for your suggestions we tried cayenne tea and put ice on the nose along with a yarrow and black walnut hull poutice and all the bleeding stopped.  No trip to the emergency room.  I appreciate the quick response ya'll gave . 

Thanks again
Ginimom

Your welcome. If this is a regular thing you might want to keep cayenne capsules around to take right at the beginning of a nose bleed. If you take them at the beginning 2 capsules should stop it quickly. Work on the underlying cause, of course, but keep them around. We always keep cayenne on hand because of how well it works for bleeding & shock. We even keep it in the car's first aid kit. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom 

Offline Sunshine06

• Psalm 115
  • Adept
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 10:17:45 AM »

Oh I'm sorry - I didn't see your question. Like Shabbychic said, you can get whole plums or paste in the HFS. They're preserved somehow with salt so they keep for quite a long time in the fridge. I've kept them for probably a year before finishing a package (although according to Wikipedia says they keep this way for decades!  :o). They have multiple health benefits, most of which I can't remember off the top of my head. :) You can take them straight or mix them into other foods (like humus) in small quantities b/c the flavor is so strong. HTH :)
Non nobis, non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam.
Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto Thy name give glory.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 10:41:07 AM »
PLANTAIN!
It is a styptic. I've seen plantain stop a gushing mouth bleed in less than 3 minutes, along with the pain. We're talking running down the child, over dh's arm and onto the floor bleeding. Just crush the leaves and apply to the area and it will stop.

IMO Once you've got the bleeding stopped, I would consider having the vein cauterized. If a bleed gets going freely enough and during the night, it is possible to bleed to death from a nosebleed. I know of someone who used to wake up to soaked pillows & such, becoming anemic from the frequent bleeding. Cauterization can help prevent a life-threatening situation. I've watched the process and in the case I observed, there was no need to pack the nose because the procedure sealed the area. It didn't need dressing, just instructions not to put anything in the nose. If it's still bleeding, the Dr didn't cauterize the right thing.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2007, 03:57:27 AM »
I have a daughter that has had four nosebleeds in two days.  She has never had one b/f.  This is her first time to ever be sick and she has had a fever, it left now it's back.  She also has a cold.  I was going to give her some emergen-c but saw that can make bleeding worse.  Would that affect a nosebleed ya think? And would a cayenne capsule be good? but only if it starts to bleed again?  I don't' know why it even started.  Someone said she is probably dry.  I know my dad and nephew do this. She is four though and never done this b/f.  Man, if it lasted an hour I think I would be hysterical.  I can do vomit, diarrhea, no big deal but lost of blood, well, that I don't do well.  Where is the passing out smiley?   :D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2007, 04:50:46 AM »
I have a daughter that has had four nosebleeds in two days.  She has never had one b/f.  This is her first time to ever be sick and she has had a fever, it left now it's back.  She also has a cold.  I was going to give her some emergen-c but saw that can make bleeding worse.  Would that affect a nosebleed ya think? And would a cayenne capsule be good? but only if it starts to bleed again?  I don't' know why it even started.  Someone said she is probably dry.  I know my dad and nephew do this. She is four though and never done this b/f.  Man, if it lasted an hour I think I would be hysterical.  I can do vomit, diarrhea, no big deal but lost of blood, well, that I don't do well.  Where is the passing out smiley?   :D
Read this.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5697.msg61440.html#msg61440
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2007, 05:22:14 AM »
I don't know if this will help anyone but when my ds was small, he started getting bad nosebleeds. We took him to the doctor and he asked if ds drank Kool-Aid. We said, "Everyday." He told us there's something in it blocks the absorption of iron and to cut out the Kool-Aid for a while to see if that helped. We did and the nosebleeds stopped.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2007, 06:51:05 AM »

IMO Once you've got the bleeding stopped, I would consider having the vein cauterized. If a bleed gets going freely enough and during the night, it is possible to bleed to death from a nosebleed. I know of someone who used to wake up to soaked pillows & such, becoming anemic from the frequent bleeding. Cauterization can help prevent a life-threatening situation. I've watched the process and in the case I observed, there was no need to pack the nose because the procedure sealed the area. It didn't need dressing, just instructions not to put anything in the nose. If it's still bleeding, the Dr didn't cauterize the right thing.

My MIL had to have this done.  For several weeks just out of the blue she had severe nose bleeds.  The last nose bleed happened when she was driving alone.  She pulled over & went in to the nearest place that she could find.  She ended up being taken to the hospital in an ambulance.  Yes, it was THAT bad.  The doctor cauterized it & it took care of the problem.
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline jenala

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007, 12:33:38 PM »
I get unexpected (I guess most are unexpected) bloody noses.  Usually after rubbing my nose, or blowing it.  I've always thought it was from the warm, dry weather, since it usually was bad in mid summer.  But it's only May, and I live in Idaho.  :)  There is still a chance of frost/snow here - not likely, but it's  a common joke around here. 

Does anyone have suggestions on keeping bloody noses from coming? 

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2007, 12:44:33 PM »
My SILs son was having nose bleeds, turns out he was deficient in calcium even though he was taking calcium daily.  His body was not able to absorb it.  She started giving him Dr. Christopher's Herbal Calcium and no more noses bleeds.
HTH
mauimom

Offline jenala

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2007, 06:36:38 PM »
I too have struggled with nose bleeds off and on over the past 3-4 years.  One piece of advice I was recently given, that has proved helpful, is to not put ice or ice packs on the nose, but on the back of the neck.  That way your blood is cold before it even reaches the nose so it coterizes more quickly. 

Offline HeyMom

• Adept
    • My journey with Jesus as a young widow, Courage Road
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2007, 02:18:22 AM »
My SILs son was having nose bleeds, turns out he was deficient in calcium even though he was taking calcium daily.  His body was not able to absorb it.  She started giving him Dr. Christopher's Herbal Calcium and no more noses bleeds.
HTH
mauimom

my dh was experiencing probs with his body absorbing calcium - put him on vitamin D and that has helped as it aids with calcium absorption.  If you body is deficient in D you can't absorb the calcium.  also confirmed that when reading the how to herb book - very interesting stuff.  dh hasn't had a nosebleed in quite a while.
For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.
2 Chronicles 16:9
www.courageroad.blogspot.com

Offline visionarymom

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2007, 04:09:36 PM »
My 6 year old has been having severe nosebleed for about 4 years, since getting bashed across the nose in the church nursery! She had her nose cauterized on both sides about 18 months ago, and they stopped briefly. Now they are back with a vengeance. The strangest thing is that if she's bleeding, it seems there is always a blood clot that needs to be blown out. Once that's gone, the bleeding stops in a few moments!  ??? I know you're not supposed to blow your nose during a nosebleed, but that's the only thing that gets these (sometimes) huge clots out! She can always tell she's going to have a nosebleed before it starts, because she gets all stuffy.

The weather/dryness has nothing to do with it. Neither does touching the nose. A few of them started while sitting perfectly still during a church service! She's already taking an herbal mineral supplement on a fairly regular basis, along with a daily multivitamin. We also use shepherds purse during and after the nosebleed, which helps some. DH won't give her cayenne tea, and she can't swallow capsules yet.

The dr. that cauterized her nose didn't see much to cause suspicion, but did it anyway. When I questioned the possibility of a bone fragment causing the problem, he completely dismissed the idea, saying it's not possible. But I'm wondering now why it seemed to work for a short while, maybe a year, and now she's having them again! Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

Visionarymom