Author Topic: Perforated eardrum in toddler  (Read 1995 times)

Offline tlcaser

• Wide Eyed
Perforated eardrum in toddler
« on: May 24, 2013, 06:34:23 AM »
Help! MY 14 month old baby girl stuck a cotton swab in her ear and perforated her ear drum. THe doctor said there is a little tear. and it is red. There is some seeping. Looks darkly colored (like blood). And it has a foul odor now. The doctor has prescribed antibiotics. I do not want to give her the antibiotics, but I don't want her to get an infection and risk permanent hearing loss. Any advice? Is there anything that I can put in her ear?? I don't want to cause her any pain. She is not in any pain and acting totally normal. Help!!! I really want my little sweetie to heal with out any antibiotics. THanks in advance!!!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
Re: Perforated eardrum in toddler
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 11:07:31 AM »
If she doesn't have an infection NOW, then I would let it go and heal on its own.  I had an ear drum burst from infection when I was 30 or so and my doctor just let my ear drain with no antibiotics.  The infection was coming out, there was no need to add to that with abx.  I did use a cotton ball in my ear to catch the ick coming out and just changed it often.  You might be able to put something that won't sting the ear on the cotton ball as a natural antibiotic (not sure if peroxide would work or not with a hole in the drum).  I could not hear AT ALL out of that ear for at least 2 weeks so plan on her not being able to hear you, but it will get better!  So I would hold off for the moment and if she does get an infection, and the ear drum has sealed up, then I would use garlic ear oil drops.  But don't use those on an open drum.  You can also use homeopathic hepar sulph to help the body clear the infection.  A 30C dosed twice a day for 2-3 days should do it. 
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline tlcaser

• Wide Eyed
Re: Perforated eardrum in toddler
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 01:31:50 PM »
@ mykidsmom. Thanks!!!