Author Topic: Balancing sunscreen/vitamin D needs  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Homeschool_Newbie

• Adept
  • The best of summer...
Balancing sunscreen/vitamin D needs
« on: May 21, 2013, 01:16:56 PM »
I hope I have posted in the right forum. ;)  Recently, my 10 year old DS had a pre-cancerous mole removed from his back. He had to go back and have the outer edges removed, as a precaution. They were also pre-cancerous. Now he has to go back a 3rd time to have even more removed as a precaution! This has been a bit shocking since  he wears an spf swim shirt, and has for the last 3-4 summers. He is a big outside kid, but I try to remind him to get in the shade. Now I am getting really serious about his use of sunscreen, and wondering how he will get his natural vitamin D...? I am also wondering how strict I need to be with the rest of my children, and even myself!  Recently, my 21 year old niece had some serious melanoma removed. Thankfully it has not spread, and she is OK. She is a person who is careful about the sun, so I am not sure what to make of this. Does anyone have any info. that balances our need for vitamin D and also sunscreen? Also... I would be interested in info. on how many years it takes for something to turn from pre-cancer to cancer, or if it sometimes never happens...?

TIA!
Blessed wife and mom of 5, going on 6 great kiddos... with more babies I can't wait to meet in heaven.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Re: Balancing sunscreen/vitamin D needs
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 08:17:01 AM »
I think you would find the book The UV Advantage by Micheal Hollick helpful.

Offline Homeschool_Newbie

• Adept
  • The best of summer...
Re: Balancing sunscreen/vitamin D needs
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 12:28:46 PM »
Thank you so much!
Blessed wife and mom of 5, going on 6 great kiddos... with more babies I can't wait to meet in heaven.