Author Topic: Meat & Bone Stock/Broth  (Read 71456 times)

Offline Melie

• Master
Re: Meat & Bone Stock/Broth
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2009, 03:12:10 PM »
This is a recipe for a "Fall Tonic" from Learning Herbs. They have some great ideas and recipes. It's basically chicken stock with some immune boosting herbs that you just drink on a regular basis to keep your immune system up.

http://www.learningherbs.com/news_issue_21.html

Thank you SO much for this.  It is fabulous.  I basically just made the broth from NT and added the herbs from this recipe.  Burdock, Hawthorne berries, Astragulus and Dandelion Root.  I also added a whole bunch of garlic.  I don't think the NT recipe calls for garlic but maybe I am wrong?  We are fighting something REALLY bad here and we've had chicken noodle soup made with this broth every day.  To the soup I add a couple TB's of Supertonic (hot peppers, horseradish, ginger & onions blended with ACV) to my husband and my bowl and a couple tablespoons to the pot, so it's not too hot for the kids.  It actually tastes really very good.  Very similar to Asian Hot and Sour soup, only spicer.  This is the only thing we've had for dinner this whole week.  I just keep making more and adding the leftovers in.  I always feel a little better for a while after I eat it.  I warm up for sure and then my cough, congestion and sore throat seem to improve for a while.
Just thought I'd pass that along. 

I'm bumping this up for you, WR.  I love doing it this way and we use it all the time.  Several times a week.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2009, 05:36:59 PM »
Ok... my question is how do you avoid the bitterness of the dandelion seeping into the stock? I'm afraid that mine will turn out like what Boysmama described. Do you think it was the leaves and not the root that made it bitter?

Going to throw in some hawthorn berries right now.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2009, 03:40:39 AM »
Ok... my question is how do you avoid the bitterness of the dandelion seeping into the stock?

Could you throw it in the last 5 min. of cooking and no more? 

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2009, 05:51:02 AM »
I've done this at least 10 times and my stock has always turned out delicious.  I put the herbs in at the beginning with everything else.  I don't know what boysmama used (fresh or dried) but I used dried dandelion root.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #124 on: April 20, 2009, 07:06:04 AM »
I used fresh. Young spring dandelion which I thought would not be as bitter...guess I thought wrong.  :D On second thought I wonder if I just put in too much dandelion. I had a nice handful of washed plants with roots intact in a 6 qt pot.