Author Topic: Water Kefir  (Read 1841 times)

Offline mamaof8

• Learning
Water Kefir
« on: February 26, 2013, 04:31:06 PM »
We are trying out water kefir for the first time.  I am wondering if anyone has made this, used it and knows the health benefits.  I am new here and did not see the question asked before but i am not computer savvy.  We are trying to get rid of yeast/candida in our household and I thought this might be good for replacing our lost probiotics instead of dairy.  We can not get raw milk in our area.  Thanks!

Offline Precious

• Adept
Re: Water Kefir
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 08:18:08 AM »
My family has been drinking water kefir daily for at least 2 years.  Water kefir does not contain as many probiotics as dairy kefir, but it is certainly a good alternative.  Cultures for Health always has helpful information on these subjects.  Here is a link to their page which lists the bacteria and yeasts typically present in water kefir.  Of course, water kefir does contain sugar, so I'm not sure how strict you are wanting to be while trying to get rid of candida.  A quote from Cultures for Health:
While certainly variation will exist between batches, generally speaking approximately 20% of the sugar you start with will remain following a 48- hour culturing process and almost all that sugar will have been converted to fructose from its original glucose-fructose state.  Therefore if you use our recommend ratio of 1/4 cup sugar to 1 quart water, the finished kefir will contain approximately 1.4% fructose.

Offline mamaof8

• Learning
Re: Water Kefir
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 04:41:57 PM »
Thank-you! I just want to make sure it is safe.  I will check out that link to find out how much is safe for me and the children to consume.  I am not too worried about the sugar content, I will check that out also.