Author Topic: Vitamin B12  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Hudson

• Learning
Vitamin B12
« on: February 22, 2013, 06:44:21 PM »
Vitamin B12 is responsible for the smooth functioning of several critical body processes. It is a water-soluble vitamin that keeps your nerves and red blood cells healthy.  It is needed to convert carbohydrates into glucose in the body, thus leading to energy production and a decrease in fatigue and lethargy in the body.

Offline angelo212

• Learning
Re: Vitamin B12
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 02:36:30 PM »
I had a folate and B-12 blood test because of a problem I'm having and the results said both were excessive. Do you know of any problems one may have from to high of B-12?

Offline Precious

• Adept
Re: Vitamin B12
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 08:13:34 AM »
Lab results like yours need further testing to discover the cause.  High serum levels of B12 do not necessarily mean that your body has too much B12.  In fact, you could be deficient.  You might be interested in this quote from Chris Kresser:
Also, be aware that a high serum B12 does not necessarily rule out functional/active B12 deficiency. In fact, I have come to view a high serum B12 in the absence of supplementation as a potential red flag for active B12 deficiency.

See the entire discussion here.

I'm not sure what problems you are having, but neurological symptoms similar to multiple sclerosis, memory loss, infertility, and mouth ulcers (among other symptoms) can be caused by a B12 deficiency.  It is much more common than people think.