Author Topic: Infant surgery/anethesia  (Read 4252 times)

Offline happyhen

• Wide Eyed
Infant surgery/anethesia
« on: February 06, 2013, 12:32:39 PM »
Do any of you know of any herbs or supplements known to help an infant prepare for the stress of anethesia during surgery?  Our 14 mo. son is going to have an inguinal hernia surgery in a couple weeks.  They say anthesia is extra stressful on an infant (under 2).  We have a couple weeks and I would love to know of anything we can do to help reduce risks.  Also, any way to help cleanse a child this age afterward?   thanks so much

Offline goatgirl

• Adept
Re: Infant surgery/anethesia
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 04:37:59 AM »
my 5 month old daughter had open heart surgery a little over a month ago.We will be getting out of the hospital in the next couple of days. I too am wondering if anyone has any wisdom with cleansing the liver, building back up the immune system geared toward the heart. Also they have been "fortifying" my breast milk with formula. When we get home I know I need to get some extras in her but I would rather not do it with formula. Any advice would be much appreciated as this is a whole new realm for me.

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • Naturally-reared, moderately-sized Aussie puppies!
    • RunAmok Farm * Moderately-sized Australian Shepherds
Re: Infant surgery/anethesia
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 01:07:55 PM »
Goatgirl,

First, so sorry to hear your little one had to go through surgery.  Long-term stays in the hospital are horribly difficult, especially when it is because an infant has been ill.  <3 

How is your milk supply?  Have they had your daughter eating "solid" foods yet, or just milk and supplemental formula?  If your milk supply is up, personally, I would go that route - as nothing beats mama's milk when it comes to being just PERFECT for a growing babe... and absolutely BEST for cleansing and healing. 

Now, if your milk supply has dwindled (likely, considering your difficult circumstances), then you can try and bring up back up.  Taking it slow and steady, often a mama can continue get back into the swing of things with full-time breastfeeding.  The more often your little one demands, the sooner (and better) your milk supply will likely come up.  In other words, while you probably won't be able to fill her up completely at first, she will "demand" more milk by nursing often - this should stimulate a healthy milk production.  If you supplement her too much, she will fill up on formula, and won't demand milk as frequently. 

Getting back to just BF only works well, however, if YOU take care of yourself as well.  You must eat properly, try and rest... and make sure you drink enough, of course. 

The truth is though, you have been under a large amount of stress, so if you have to supplement a little bit so you can feel comfortable and relax with your sweet little one at home, then do so.  Give yourself some time to just BE a family again, and things should settle in.

Have you read Trim Healthy Mama?  If not, it has a lot of great information for nursing mothers.
Mama of four... one of which was in the NICU for a couple weeks.  Nothing as traumatic as your family has faced, but I can empathize with the pain of a hospital stay.  <3
NR Australian Shepherds & SARF consultations
www.runamokfarm.com
Custom Pyrography (woodburning)
www.jaquemchenry.com