Author Topic: Essential oils  (Read 7514 times)

Offline MommyARW2

• Wide Eyed
Essential oils
« on: January 25, 2013, 05:19:05 PM »
Hello! I'm new to WellTellMe. I have a question about essential oils. I want to start using them but they are pretty expensive. I have found that Eden's Garden has pretty good prices but I was wondering if there was a reason they are so inexpensive. Do y'all have any experience with them?

Offline mamaof8

• Learning
Re: Essential oils
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 10:06:35 AM »
We have started using the essential oils also.  Presently, we use the Young Living but Mountain Rose herbs and Plant Therapy oils are cheaper.  I think they may be expensive because it is hard to get good quality oils.  It is my preference not to ingest them, but I rub  them on the children feet and let them inhale them.  I also put them in my laundry soap and homemade cleaners.  I put some under my ears instead of perfume.  I hope this information helps you decide.

Offline Kylie

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 08:01:26 AM »
I use Young Living essential oils also.  We use different oils almost daily.  When it comes to essential oils, you get what you pay for.  Usually, the cheaper oils have fillers added to them, and are not pure.  I have never used Eden's Garden though.  What are you going to use your essential oils for?

Offline earthgoddess

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 05:05:18 AM »
Hi,
I've done aromatherapy for about 15 years now.  The question of price has a few answers.  It is true that you get what you pay for, however the caveat to that is there are some plants or fruits that produce a larger amount of oil using a smaller amount of herb, fruit etc.  These oils will generally be a bit cheaper but does not mean they are any less pure.  Lemon and orange are a perfect example of this.  The prices will rise on these if they are certified organic.  All other oils if they are pure and genuine meaning they have not been cut with synthetics will be more expensive.  A great example is precious flowers such as rose, jasmine, neroli etc. A huge red flag is if you find a 1/2 oz bottle of rose essential oil for say $10.  That is definitely not a pure essential oil.  It takes roughly 2,000 pounds of rose petals to make 1 pound of oil hence the high price tag.

The companies I use the most are New Directions, Eden Botanicals, Original Swiss Aromatics and Aromaland.  They all take great pride in testing their oils to make sure they are pure.  I have never bought essential oils from Mountain Rose but knowing their strict guidelines concerning their dried herbs I'm sure theirs are an excellent quality to.  I will say though you may have sticker shock from Original Swiss as they provide oils for those trained in a form of aromatherapy which uses the ingestion of oils.

Offline Redheadedmama

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 09:51:58 AM »
I started buying mine a week ago from Iherb.com , I love that store. They are a lil cheaper than what I seen anywhere else. :)

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 12:08:18 PM »
I wonder sometimes if the multi level companies prices are higher......not because they are better but they need to be higher so everybody can make money.  Companies that list the chemical make up of their oils are probably the best.  Price isn't really an indication of purity in my experience.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline Lady of the Wood

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 12:51:23 PM »
Why is purity of essential oils so important? I mean, everyone says that purer is better, but why is that?
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.

Joshua 1:9

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 02:28:21 PM »
Purity of the eo matters a lot to me when I am using them therapeutically, as I don't want to be exposed to impurities such as filler oils, chemicals, or whatever. 

For the eo that I add to my laundry soap I don't care as much, as there it is the fragrance only that is important. 

I suppose that is something you would decide for yourself, depending on what you are using the oil for. 

Kristen has written her experiences and findings HERE.  I highly recommend reading as much of her information as you can. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 03:08:51 PM »
Purity matters to me because I don't want to spend our hard earned money on fillers.  Plus, you don't know what fillers are being used and I want only healthy things in our home.  I've worked hard to get rid of lots of chemicals and unhealthy stuff.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline Lady of the Wood

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 12:56:30 PM »
Thank you both very very much.
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.

Joshua 1:9