Author Topic: Help with large boil? please.  (Read 17440 times)

Offline joyfulmarmee28

• Wide Eyed
Help with large boil? please.
« on: November 09, 2012, 11:44:28 AM »
I have what i think is a large boil near my hip. I have been treating with charcoal and goot, but it doesn't seem to be responding.
This is the second time it has flared up in the same place. First time was about 18months ago- i was very stressed at the time and also had to have a tooth pulled while i had it. after it went down there appeared to be a small hard 'deposit' left there that has not gone away. Seems to be under the skin and about 1/8 inch long. This time it has flared up I have been recovering from the flu.
Any idea what this could be and how to treat it?
Thanks

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Re: Help with large boil? please.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 04:08:43 PM »
There may be some ideas for you in this thread. http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php?topic=350.0

Is it over or near a lymph gland?

I would use a plain hot compress. If you have garlic, plantain, or usnea any or all would be great as hot poultice. I've used onion in a pinch, on boils. Castor oil on a bandage could be helpful as well. I typically use a hot poultice of some sort, then use castor oil when bandaged if it's just a boil.

Offline Jackie P

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 07:57:58 AM »
http://voices.yahoo.com/how-rid-boils-4-easy-steps-7504676.html?cat=5
Is It Really a Boil?

Boils are red, swollen, and painful so there's usually no question as to whether or not you actually have a boil. But if you've never had a boil before, you may not be certain and you may also have many questions about them.

First, boils begin as hard, red lumps. You may think it's just a bad pimple. But as the boil progresses it becomes much larger, gets soft, even more painful, and forms a pocket of pus on the top. The redness, swelling, and pus are signs that you have a severe infection.

The skin around the boil may become warm, red, swollen, and painful too. You may also develop more boils around the first boil. It's possible that you may have a fever and your lymph nodes - in your armpits and groin area - may also swell.

Boils - Causes and Cures

There are several causes of boils on your body. Some of these are diabetes, immune system problems, poor hygiene, poor nutrition, and exposing yourself to harsh chemicals. You can help prevent boils by eating healthy foods and avoiding sugar and junk food, having good hygiene, keeping your clothes, bed sheets, and towels clean.

If you or another family member has boils, it's very important to keep the clothes, sheets, and towels clean. All of these things are possible causes of boils on your body and things easily controlled by you.

Boils and cysts are painful, especially when you have them in your groin area. You can treat yourself at home and it's not different to learn how to get rid of boils at home.

How to Get Rid of Boils on Your Body - Four Easy Steps

First Step -take a clean washcloth and soak it in warm water. You may have to do this several times each day for several days. The warmth of the cloth helps draw the pus to the surface of the boil and eventually, the boil pops.

Second Step - When the boil starts to drain, begin gently washing it with an antibacterial soap until all the pus is out of the boil.

Third Step - Once all the pus is gone, apply an antibiotic ointment like Tribiotic and then cover with a clean and sterile bandage.

Fourth Step - Keep the boil clean by washing it, applying ointment, and a clean bandage two to three times every day until it heals.

It's very important to use a clean cloth and antibiotic ointment. A boil is a sign of infection. When it pops, your skin is open and more susceptible to other germs and infections. Prevent this by keeping everything that comes in contact with your boil clean and germ-free.

As tempting as it is, doctors do not recommend you pop the boil with a pin or needle. According to doctors, this will make the infection worse.

Should You See a Doctor?

Although you can easily treat boils at home, there may be times when you need to go to a doctor for help with a boil. If you have a fever, or red streaks appear around the boil make an appointment to see a doctor right away.

If the boil becomes too painful for you to try to treat yourself, you get more boils, or you can't get the boil to drain, it's best for you to go ahead and make a trip to the doctor's office to help you with the situation.

By knowing these boil causes and cures, you can prevent many boils and easily treat them yourself. Learning how to get rid of a boil is easy and you can do it in the privacy and convenience of your home.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
(You have to get the hard core out also.  I know I do it the wrong way each time I get them.  I have gotten them about 5 times in my life (I'm 51).  I wait until they are very soft, big and sore and only have to touch almost to open them up.  I get the pus and blood out and then make the core come out.  It is painful to do.  I have read that once you get the pus out if you clean it real good then put a slice of potato on it overnight or a piece of bacon it will draw the core out.) 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

http://www.diagnose-me.com/symptoms-of/boils-abscesses-carbuncles.html
Boils and carbuncles are firm reddish swellings about 5-10mm across that are slightly raised above the skin surface.  They are sore to the touch.  A boil usually has a visible central core of pus; a carbuncle is larger and has several visible heads.  Boils occur most commonly on the face, back of the neck, buttocks, upper legs and groin area, armpits, and upper torso.

There are several different types of boils, including:

Furuncle or carbuncle – An abscess in the skin caused by the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus.  It can have one or more openings onto the skin and may be associated with a fever or chills.  They are less common than single boils; they are most likely to form at the back of the neck and in males.  Carbuncles can form in the same areas as boils, and may also form on the scalp, face, and buttocks.  Furunculosis is a word that is sometimes used to refer to recurrent boils.  Many patients have repeated episodes of furunculosis that are difficult to treat because their nasal passages carry colonies of Staphylococcus aureus.  These bacterial colonies make it easy for the patient's skin to be reinfected.
    Folliculitis – A milder version of boils.  This is an infection of hair follicles, usually with Staph bacteria.  These often itch more than hurt.  The appearance is similar to acne pustules.
    Cystic acne – A type of abscess formed when oil ducts become clogged and infected.  Cystic acne is most common in the teenage years.
    Hidradenitis suppurativa – An uncommon illness of unknown cause in which there are multiple abscesses that form under the armpits, in the groin area, or under the breasts.  These areas are a result of local inflammation of the sweat glands.
    Pilonidal cyst An type of abscess that occurs in the crease of the buttocks.  These frequently form after long trips that involve sitting.

Causes and Development; Contributing Risk Factors

There are many causes of boils.  Some boils can be caused by an ingrown hair.  Others can form as the result of a splinter or other foreign material lodged in the skin.  Others, such as those of acne, are caused by plugged sweat glands that become infected.  Any break in the skin such as a cut or scrape can develop into an abscess if it becomes infected with bacteria.

Boils and carbuncles are more likely to develop in those with:

Diabetes, especially when treated by injected insulin
    Alcoholism or drug abuse
    Poor personal hygiene
    Crowded living arrangements
    Jobs or hobbies that expose them to greasy or oily substances, especially petroleum products
    Allergies or immune system disorders, including HIV infection
    Family members with recurrent skin infections

Signs and Symptoms

A boil, or skin abscess, is a localized infection deep in the skin.  A boil generally starts as an itchy, red, painful lump.  Over time, the area becomes firm and hard.  Usually within 24 hours, the lump fills with pus and takes on a round appearance with a yellow-white tip.  Eventually, the center of the abscess softens; the pus forms a "head" and drains out through the skin.

There may be swelling around the boil as well as swelling of any lymph nodes near the boil.

Treatment and Prevention

Most simple boils can be treated at home.  The treatment should start as soon as a boil is noticed since early treatment may prevent later problems.

Since releasing the pus in a boil can lead to more infection, puncturing it at home is not usually advised.  If you do lance it, or if it bursts, make sure to sterilize the surrounding area carefully, washing hands after touching the area.

Medical treatment by a healthcare provider may include lancing or puncturing the boil to release the pressure and allow for drainage.  Antibiotics may be prescribed to stop the infection.

Medications such as isotretinoin (Accutane) can be used for cystic acne; this has been helpful for some patients with hidradenitis suppurativa.

There are some measures that you can take to prevent abscesses from forming.  Practicing good hygiene habits minimizes the frequency of recurring boils and prevents the spread of infection.  This includes not picking at boils, using clean towels after each bath or shower, and cleaning the skin with an antiseptic / antibacterial soap such as Betadine.  Antibacterial soaps may help prevent bacteria build up on the skin and therefore reduce the chance for an abscess to form.

Prognosis; Seek medical attention if...

Boils may take from 10 to 25 days to heal.  In most cases, a boil will not heal until it bursts and drains.  This can take as long as 5 to 7 days.  A single boil can usually be cared for at home and does not require a trip to the doctor.

Recurrences are common in patients with hidradenitis suppurativa.

Any boil or abscess in a patient with diabetes or a patient with an underlying illness (such as cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.) should be seen by a doctor.  Additionally, many medicines, especially prednisone, that suppress the immune system (the natural infection-fighting system of the body) can complicate what would be an otherwise simple boil.  Patients who are on such medications should consult their doctor if they develop boils.

Any boil that is associated with a fever should receive medical attention.  A pilonidal cyst is a special case and almost always requires medical treatment including drainage and packing (putting gauze in the open abscess to assure it continues to drain).  Finally, any painful boil that is not rapidly improving should be seen.

You should also see a doctor if:

a boil develops in a child or a sick or elderly person
    a boil develops on the face near the eyes or nose
    a boil becomes extremely large or painful
    a cluster of boils form or you have an abscess
    boils become increasingly common
    red lines spread out from the center of the boil
    the boil is extremely tender
    fever and chills develop
    lymph nodes begin to swell that are located in other areas of the body from where the original lymph node swelling occurred.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 02:36:05 AM »
I just recently had a couple of boils in my groin area. They were extremely painful and grew to a large-sized nodule over the course of a few days. At first, I wasn't sure if it was a boil or not, as I hadn't had one before. We don't have medical insurance, as of yet, so I couldn't go see a doctor. I used pics online, which is not for the faint of heart, let me tell you! <shudder>
Once I realized that it probably was a boil, and started to treat it as one, within 24 hours I was able to get it to come to a head a drain. I think that is pretty quick. Here is what I did:
Took hot showers often throughout the day. The hot shower would soften the boil and eventually open it up. I put an activated charcoal paste over it with a cotton ball (just AC and water). I used tumeric mixed with raw apple cider vinegar. Yeah, that one burned a little, and stained my underwear lol but everything worked! Also, after a hot shower and letting it air dry, I applied my homemade salve, similar to BHS, Eden Salve. All these made my boil come to a head in the shower. I let it drain completely, while covering other areas around it with a washcloth, as not to get it to spread. When it was completely drained, I put more apple cider vinegar on it, and then applied more salve.
I noticed that when I wore my "skinny jeans" I would have pain in my leg area, like I was going to get another one. I am thinking maybe that was the culprit from the beginning? They aren't even tight jeans, so that is weird.  :-\