Author Topic: Excessive belching, discomfort  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Lizzyj

• Wide Eyed
Excessive belching, discomfort
« on: October 30, 2012, 10:42:05 PM »
I am searching for answers regarding my husband's health issues... He has always had tendencies toward feeling uncomfortable stomach-wise. It really comes and goes. He does have a family history of anxiety and his body can be aggravated by stress. He is a bit overweight. Lately (for the last few months) he has been experiencing excessive (I mean crazy excessive!) belching/bloating which seems to build up all day reaching its peak in the evening. Not too long ago on an unrelated issue he discovered he has a slightly fatty liver and is trying to avoid intake of too much sugar, grains and starches. For the belching he was prescribed an antacid and it seems to have helped only minimally. For his liver, I began the process of making a liver cleanse tincture (it still has to sit a few weeks before its ready). Could excessive belching have anything to do with his liver?? We eat pretty well-I make just about everything from scratch-don't have soda in the house, don't eat a lot of bread, get some good servings of fruit and veggies each day... I wish I knew more. I have four babies (oldest not yet 5 and the youngest 7 weeks) so finding the time to research what I can get my hands on is tough. I would love to find some ways to help him-he is so uncomfortable and the antacids don't help a ton plus they make him drowsy so he's always falling asleep before me these days. We've talked about any stresses he may be experiencing and even with the new baby he says he doesn't feel stressed. Any ideas I can follow??

Offline Precious

• Adept
Re: Excessive belching, discomfort
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 03:54:46 AM »
I have found Chris Kresser's website to be very helpful when dealing with these issues.  He has a whole series addressing GERD/heartburn/gas.  Antacids will only exacerbate the problem.  The problem is usually too little stomach acid.  Here's an exerpt:

Though microbes are able to metabolize proteins and even fats, their preferred energy source is carbohydrate. The fermentation of carbohydrates that haven’t been digested properly produces gas. The resulting gas increases intra-abdominal pressure, which is the driving force behind acid reflux and GERD.

When stomach acid is sufficient and carbohydrates are consumed in moderation, they are properly broken down into glucose and rapidly absorbed in the small intestine before they can be fermented by microbes. However, if stomach acid is insufficient and/or carbohydrates are consumed in excess, some of the carbs will escape absorption and become available for intestinal microbes to ferment.

Certain type of fiber and starch also promote hydrogen production. Almost all of the fiber and approximately 15-20% of the starch we consume escape absorption. The amount of gas that can be produced by undigested carbohydrates is almost hard to believe. According to Suarez and Levitt, just 30g of carbohydrate (equivalent to 1/2 of a small muffin) that escapes absorption in a day could produce more than 10,000 mL of hydrogen gas. That’s equivalent to ten large one-liter water bottles full of intestinal gas!

These are his steps for recovery:
  • Reduce factors that promote bacterial overgrowth and low stomach acid.
  • Replace stomach acid, enzymes and nutrients that aid digestions and are necessary for health.
  • Restore beneficial bacteria and a healthy mucosal lining in the gut.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Excessive belching, discomfort
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 04:26:07 AM »
There are probably some deeper issues here as you and Precious have both suggested.  For the long run, you may need to do some cleansing and diet changes.  The low stomach acid is probably also a real issue.  I would research, candida, leaky gut, fatty acids and start cutting out all the toxins in the kitchen and bathroom. 

In the short run, you might have some luck with digestive enzymes.  Super Enzymes from NOW made a huge difference for a member in my family. 

My favorite herb book!!