Author Topic: How long till milk comes in?  (Read 3105 times)

Offline Gigi

• Master
How long till milk comes in?
« on: September 06, 2012, 07:19:46 AM »
Hello dear ones.  I've been out of the loop for so long I feel like a foreigner around these parts! :)

My question:

I am due with another little sweetie pie in January.  Woo-Hoo!

One of the biggest early stressors to me after birth is that it seems to take *5 full days* before my milk comes in.  Obviously, this time is fraught with emotional miserableness for Mama and weight loss for the baby.  And pressure from the hospital staff to supplement - yada, yada, yada.

Any wisdom on how to speed up the onset of milk?  I would love any anecdotal suggestions and will probably be willing to try just about anything . . .

TIA. 

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Re: How long till milk comes in?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 11:47:33 AM »
Well, here's a bit of advice that I hope has something in it to help.

Your baby is born with stored calories, so the wait for milk to come in is quite normal.  You are producing colostrum as soon as baby begins to nurse, and it is advisable to nurse for 10 to 12 times a day in the beginning with nursing sessions lasting 20 to 40 minutes. 
Yup -- that is a LOT of nursing!  But it seemed that my milk came in much faster with my later children as I was more inclined to nurse long and frequently.  And then the engorgement wasn't nearly as bad due, I think, to the unhindered nursing.
 It is extremely important for momma to get plenty of good nutritious food and lots & lots of water.  Dehydration can be a problem when nursing. 

HERE is a discussion of nursing a newborn.   You may want to discuss with your health care provider your plans and wishes for b*feeding in advance of the birth to avoid the pressure to supplement.   I find that the more knowledgeable and confident I am, the more seriously my wishes are taken. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline Gigi

• Master
Re: How long till milk comes in?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 03:32:26 AM »
Thanks, ladyhen. 

Though I am aware of all the facts, it still seems so hard for me to wait that five days while baby loses weight.   ::)  Not that I'm slightly emotionally imbalanced after giving birth or anything . . .

I appreciate your advice.  Thanks!