Author Topic: Recognizing Plantain  (Read 20451 times)

Offline abcathome

• Adept
Recognizing Plantain
« on: October 13, 2006, 09:02:41 AM »
I am wondering how I would recognize plantain?  I have some plants in my yard thatlook like the plantain pictures I've seen on NGJ, but mine are much smaller in comparison.  I just don't want to get the wrong plant for these salves and such. 

Also, could someone tell me if plantain could be seaped to a tea?  My mother, when she is exposed to poison oak and poison ivy, gets it internally as well...down her throat and mouth.  So would a tea help relieve some of that pain and swelling?  Or is plantain not intended for internal use?

Thanks!

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
Re: Recognizing Plantain
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 10:16:40 AM »
Plantain comes in all sizes and I have so much fun finding it nearly everywhere I go!  I've seen plantain with leaves as small as a quarter before, growing in the cracks in the sidewalk!  Plantain is very distinctive because all of the leaves have prominant veining that runs vertically, whereas most other leaves in plants have a main central vein with other veins branching off of it. 

My little plantain story:  When the NGJ herb lesson on plantain came out, it was the month of May.  I searched high and low for plantain out there and wasn't sure if I had found it or not because all of the leaves were so tiny.  (Living in northern Minnesota, it makes a lot of sense that the plants were still babies then, seeing as how we still had frost in June!  :)  Anyway, I found a book at the library about edible plants and herbs in Minnesota and Wisconsin and found a great picture of plantain.  My husband and I were out visiting friends and while leaving there apartment complex, their landlord hadn't mowed the grass at all and the weeds were very high.  I found what was certain to be plantain in bigger, bushier leaves and I've been seeing it ever since!  It likes sunny, open areas, but you'll want to be careful where you gather it.  Try to find it in a place where it isn't exposed to car exhaust, pesticides, or animal excrement. 

Happy hunting!

PS - I just went out in the snow and took a couple of photos of baby plantain, but I can't figure out how to post them.  :(  Sorry!  I tried!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 10:49:30 AM by heatheronthehill »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 10:22:50 AM »
 ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 10:29:33 AM »
If you go to www.google.com and type in plantain, click on the work images and hit go, you will get a screen full of images of plantain. You're sure to see something that looks like a weed in your yard. There is a broad leaf and a narrow leaf variety. I second the caution about finding leaves that haven't been subjected to animal feces/urine and/or pesticides.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline abcathome

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 01:27:08 PM »
Thank you all for the pictures and descriptions.  I now know that what I was looking at was NOT plantain, but something else.  However, I do have plantain in my yard and now know what I am looking for!  :)  The pics with the stems growing up (flowers??) were the most helpful as they will help me identify it and learn what the plant looks like without it. 

One more question...how do you find it in a place that doesn't have animal feces?  I would think that just about any place natural would have that potential?

Offline abcathome

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 01:30:35 PM »
Oh, also....:)   I never realized that those little things on the plantain plants that grow (the flowering area) are the things my sister and I would play with and pop off the 'heads' when we were kids!  How cool! :)

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 03:32:05 AM »
We live in town, so I go out to my parent's and grandparents house to gather plantain.  They live out in the country, so I can find it more "off the beaten path".  More ideas - I see it all the time in parks - state, city, etc...  Find an "off the beaten path" area without shade and you will likely find it growing there.  Perhaps a school yard if they have an area that isn't mowed (we do).  Church lots with the same.  (There should be few dogs being walked in school/church yards - at least in my experience.)

Offline khix

• Master
  • Forever changed, forever Yours!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 04:15:45 AM »
Could any of these possibly be plantain?   ???

Save $5 on your first order at www.iHerb.com!  Use referral code HIC104.

www.campaignforliberty.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 06:37:34 AM »
I think those are dandelions and thistles.

Here's what plantain looks like.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 07:13:02 AM »
HB,

Thank-you, thank-you for the nice large, clear picture. I have been looking at dandelions myself and wondering if it was plantain. I have never seen plantain, but I'm sure I'll be able to find it come spring.

Offline abcathome

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 07:44:16 AM »
Thank you from me too!  :)  I was thinking the things I saw in my area were plantain as well and now know they are dandelion!  Argh!  I will have to go out and do some searching with a printed picture of plantain so when I find it I will know for sure!

Amanda

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 09:00:43 AM »
Look for the seeds.  That makes it easy.  Of course they don't seed until summer, but I always remember playing with these as a kid.  We use to pull the stem through our fingers and all the seeds would just pop off.  Then we would play with the seeds.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline khix

• Master
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 05:35:34 PM »

Thanks, HB!

But, now I'm sad....it seems I don't have any plantain in my yard...and my yard is FULL of all sorts of weeds.  Can you buy plantain seeds?  (of course, that would require planting....and by my other thread, you can tell I haven't had much luck with planting seeds!  :D )
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 07:18:17 AM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 07:17:59 AM »

Thanks, HB!

But, now I'm sad....it seems I don't have any plantain in my yard...and my yard is FULL of all sorts of weeds.  Can you buy plantain seeds?  (of course, that would require planting....and by my other thread, you can tell I haven't had much luck with planting seeds!  :D )
It's amazing to me that you haven't found it in your yard.  Check the neighbors yard or the park, or along the roadside somewhere and pick several of these stems when they go to seed in the summer.  All you have to do is scatter the seeds in your yard and you'll have it growing by next year (maybe sooner).
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline abcathome

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 10:26:09 AM »
I'm with you Khix,....I haven't found any either.  What I have found I now know to be dandelion.  :(  I will be looking more this spring though on my MIL's farm...hopefully I will find some then that I can scatter in my yard.  I hope to post a picture when I find it, just in case mine looks a bit different.

YoopreMama

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 10:59:44 AM »
We have both kinds here, but what really tipped me off was seeing a close-up of the flower heads.  We called them "knot heads", growing up.  Let's see if I can get the picture in here...AHHH!  :o I didn't know you could click "Additional Options"!   :o  I thought that referred to "Post, Preview, and Spell Check" !!!! 

Offline Mrs. Visionary

• Adept
    • PureBulk, Inc.
Re: Recognizing Plantain (and other herbs!)
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 12:39:44 PM »
The following website has literally hundreds of photos and illustrations of medicinal plants as well as a wealth of information that you or others may find useful.
This is Michael Moore's website for the SouthWestern School of Botanical Medicine.
http://www.swsbm.com/homepage/

Sincerely, Heidi

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2007, 12:55:45 PM »
YEE HAW!  ;D

I posted w/ some pictures....dancing banana, dancing banana! 

I clicked on them, and they even got bigger!  Whoo hoo!  Look out WTM, I have arrived!  ::) ;D

Thank you YooperMama!!!  I finally recognize a picture of plantain well enough that I know I can go out & find it!
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2007, 01:50:10 PM »
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but one way to verify that what you have is actually plantain is to look at the structure of the leaf. The veins in the leaf start where the stem meets the leaf structure and run parallel to the main stem line -- not branching off of the main stem line like other leaves often do.
HTH

The wild yam leaf is similar.

Sounds like we are due for a nature hike soon.  ::)

Offline FaithAcre

• Learning
    • Faith Acre Farmgoods
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 02:50:24 PM »
ARe there any places in the US that this does not grow?  I don't think I have ever seen that stuff here in Central WA.   We have TONS of weeds in certain areas, but never seen those. 
~Tara~
Happy Helpmeet to Kev
Merry Mama to the little ladies

Faith Acre Farmgoods
See my website for the most moisturizing soap you can find: Goat Milk Soap!

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2007, 03:12:13 PM »
ARe there any places in the US that this does not grow?  I don't think I have ever seen that stuff here in Central WA.   We have TONS of weeds in certain areas, but never seen those. 

I grew up in Western WA & I remember playing with the heads when I was little.  I imagine that you could find it somewhere.
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 06:42:26 PM »
I grew up in Western WA & I remember playing with the heads when I was little.  I imagine that you could find it somewhere.

HEY! You just jogged a memory for me! We used to loop the bottom section of stem over the stem near the head and shoot those things at each other for fun.

You make a loop with the stem and as you push the narrow loop along the stem towards the head, it pops off. If you do it fast enough, the head will fly off and (if your aim is good) hit your target.

I'd nearly forgotten (it was so long ago). We would ambush each other and then a chase would ensue. It wasn't good to get a good hiding spot only to miss the target. You gave away your position and had to run without the satisfiction of a bulls eye.

Aw, I MISS my brother! He would have remembered that with me. If God has plantain in heaven, he's probably up there stockpiling a bunch to pelt me with when I get there. The stinker! ;D

Offline abcathome

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2007, 07:47:24 PM »
Okay...if THAT is plaintain then I DO have them in my front yard!  Yippeeee!  :)  I didn't realize that was it.  Thanks so much! 
ETA:  I had just taught my oldest DS how to 'pop' off the heads this summer.  He loved it and chased his little brother around the yard pinging him with the heads!  :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 07:49:04 PM by abcathome »

Offline khix

• Master
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 02:25:25 AM »
In all the years I've lived in Southeast TX, I don't think I've ever seen plantain.  Am I just blind, or does it not grow here?  Has anyone else seen plantain in this part of TX?

Offline FaithAcre

• Learning
    • Faith Acre Farmgoods
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 06:03:34 AM »
In western WA maybe, but on this side of the mountains it's a whole 'nother climate  ;D.  I'll keep my eyeballs open this spring/summer. 
~Tara~
Happy Helpmeet to Kev
Merry Mama to the little ladies

Faith Acre Farmgoods
See my website for the most moisturizing soap you can find: Goat Milk Soap!

Offline Lydiaisredeemed

• Learning
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 12:37:49 PM »
;D
hey hb, I haven't seen any plantain by me.  I live in central Florida.  Do you think it's because I live in zone 9, and it's too warm for plantain to grow here?
thanks!! ;D
Lydia

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 12:39:34 PM »
;D
hey hb, I haven't seen any plantain by me.  I live in central Florida.  Do you think it's because I live in zone 9, and it's too warm for plantain to grow here?
thanks!! ;D
Lydia
Don't know.  I've never been to Florida ;D

Here's a chart with some info.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Plantago+media

Didn't know this before but if you're looking for info on Plantain, it might be useful to know that's it's technical name is plantago media.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 12:43:11 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2007, 01:08:06 PM »
Unless you live in an EXTREEMELY well-manicured area or Antarctica, you likely live near some plantain.
Quote from Practical Herbalism, by Philip Fritchey, MH, ND, CNHP:
Native Americans noticed that Plantain rew wherever the white man set foot, which accounts for a couple of its common names. It can be found virtually everywhere in North America, and grows on every continent except Antarctica.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2007, 02:19:18 PM »
When are those plantain seed stick tingys mature enough to pick and dry? I dont wanna pick the seed stems or sticks or wahtever they are care called while they are still too young. I would like to dry up a bunch of the seeds and of course the leaves also.

I have always noticed it but never knew it was plantain.

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2008, 09:59:17 AM »
Are all kinds of plantain good for tinctures and/or salves?  Also, is plantain the same thing as Hosta's?? 

thanks!
abbilynn
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/