Author Topic: Recognizing Plantain  (Read 20461 times)

Offline Gigi

• Master
Re: Recognizing Plantain
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2008, 10:39:52 AM »
Also, is plantain the same thing as Hosta's?? 

Nope!  Hosta's are NOT plantain!! 

HTH!

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2008, 10:49:04 AM »
Also, is plantain the same thing as Hosta's?? 

Nope!  Hosta's are NOT plantain!! 

HTH!

Thanks!  I got this garden book from the library and it says another name for Hosta's is "plantain lily" and I wasn't sure if that meant it was the same thing or not.

abbilynn
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2008, 11:37:22 AM »
Are all kinds of plantain good for tinctures and/or salves? 
thanks!
abbilynn
You can use plantain internally, but I prefer it in salves.   We also just made a plantain tincture with ACV to be used externally that was in the Bulk Herb Store's Making Herbs Simple DVD.
I also use it in poultices. 

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2008, 02:53:09 PM »
I like picking fresh plantain, dandelion and other fresh safe leaves to put in with lettuce for a healthy salad. It is amazing how ones own yard can be full of salad materials growing there for free from God.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
Can someone tell me if the green plant in the upper right pic on this Craig's List ad is Plantain? The ad will probably be deleted soon but I'm hoping that someone that's on right now can tell me. I have been looking for it but haven't been able to find it. TIA. Blessings ~herbalmom

http://denver.craigslist.org/zip/658459321.html

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2008, 11:05:10 AM »
Can someone tell me if the green plant in the upper right pic on this Craig's List ad is Plantain? The ad will probably be deleted soon but I'm hoping that someone that's on right now can tell me. I have been looking for it but haven't been able to find it. TIA. Blessings ~herbalmom

Sorry, but it doesn't look like it....

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2008, 11:08:48 AM »
Thanks. I really wasn't sure & didn't want to make a trip for nothing esp since we are busy today with decluttering the basement.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2008, 11:09:21 AM »

Sorry, but it doesn't look like it....
Most plantain tends to be less upright and more "flatter" so to speak... the veins should all run from the beginning of the leaf to the tip.

Offline Leilani

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2008, 08:07:45 AM »
whoo hooo ;D I finally found plantain! In our neighbors yard, ours gets mowed too often for my to find it in our own  ::) I will try to remember to take a picture when I go out to get some. I was planning on digging it up and bringing it back but maybe I should just take the seeds and put them somewhere in my own yard?
Leilani married to my Mr Visionary (now that I think about it he is really more of a Command man :D ) for 12 years!
my sweet boys 10, 8,4 and our baby girl is 2

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2008, 01:52:35 PM »
Here in the middle of NE, it sometimes is hard to find plantain, believe it or not. At least for me, anyway. Out here there are hills of sand and sand-colored clay, and we have extreamly dry and hot seasons in the summer. The best place I've found is to look along wet places, like a small creek or river. 

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
  • We are in the Lords Army. Yes Sir!
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2009, 05:52:37 PM »
what about Australia? I haven't seen it here yet and am wandering if there is something to take its place here. Something that will do the same job?

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2009, 06:18:22 PM »
It's very hot and dry here in the south, and we have plantain growing everywhere.  It especially loves disturbed ground where nothing else grows...along roadsides and construction sites.  We mostly have dense red clay soils, and the plantain is one of the first weeds to take hold, and one of the last to give up in the lawns :) 

There are hundreds of varieties that look very different from each other: broad leaf and narrow leaf being only two.  Maybe you could research your area and see if you can find what variety is most prevalent.  A lot of the sites I found when I researched plantain were sites for ridding your lawn of weeds  ::)  So I'm thinking that a good lawn care guy would be able to point you in the right direction for identifying local plantain varieties.

The genus is plantego...here is an image search so you can see how many different varieties it comes in.  Obviously, the most common ones are pictured the most, but you'll see some really cool ones including variegated ones too!
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&va=plantago&fr=yfp-t-103&xargs=0&pstart=1&b=21&ni=20
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Leat

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2009, 02:16:18 AM »
I found some! I found some!  After seriously studying the pictures and descriptions all you wonderful people have posted, I finally found plantain!

Sunday evening we were walking on the nature trail at the lake. I looked down and saw the leaves with the lines all parallel.  Then yesterday I discovered quite a bit in my own yard! I'm so excited!

Today I'm going to re-watch Shoshanna's Herbs dvd and see what all I can do with this new found treasure!

Leat

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
  • We are in the Lords Army. Yes Sir!
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2009, 09:23:33 PM »
So we do have it. I found it today on the side of the road. Thanks so much for the site with the pictures. It is a blessing to know that we do indeed have it here.

Is one type better than the other or do they all do the same thing?

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2009, 07:15:09 AM »
I have never heard of plantago media, is this the same thing as plantago major aka broad leaf plantain, greater plantain, common plantain? Then there is the long leaf variety plantago lanceolata or ribwort.

I love plantain, I just had to share one day it really saved me with a spider bite:

I recently applied a plantain poultice to my hand in order to draw out the poison from a spider bite. My hand was cramped up with sharp pains and was getting to the point where I couldn’t use it much at all. At the site of the bite was a swollen, nasty looking bump. After 15 minutes of applying a plantain poultice to the bite, my pain was gone. I felt like the pain literally was being pulled back up toward the site of the bite. Not even a trace of the bite was visable the next day.

I just learned that you can place a fresh leaf in your shoe if you are getting a blister. That is a really awesome remedy. Taken internally, common plantain is diuretic, expectorant, and decongestant.

I think the seeds can be soaked in juice and drunk as a laxitive, supposed to have an effect like pysillium seed.

As for internally, really, I have seen recipes for most every herb I know to eat as food.

Well, gotta run!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 08:27:29 AM by sarajane »
Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2009, 08:05:26 AM »
What a cool testimony about the spider bite Sarahjane!
I think the seeds can be soaked in juice and drunk as a laxitive, supposed to have an effect like pysillium seed.
The seeds of a certain type of plantain are Pysillium.  From what I've read, most varieties of plantain function pretty much the same...but that is sort of rare in the herbal world.  Definitely not a 'rule of thumb'.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2009, 08:15:27 AM »
Yeah, they are closely related plants, same family.

Plantago Major is what I was talking about using since it grows almost everywhere. Except we haven't seen any this year, it is so, so, so very dry right now. Hardly anything is growing. Some of the prickly brush plants are even drying up, now that is bad.

Plantago Psyllium the variety I was talking of the major variety being used in the same way. I have yet to see one here...course it is a bad year and this is the first time I have really looked hard.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 08:23:02 AM by sarajane »
Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.