Author Topic: How do you make a Poultice?  (Read 2677 times)

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
How do you make a Poultice?
« on: January 13, 2007, 09:36:13 AM »
How do you make a plantain poultice? Can you do it with fresh or dried plantain? I'd like to know how to do it with both fresh and dried plantain if that is possible. I have not found plantain in my yard yet. I'll look for it come spring and especially summer.

Offline Mrs.Visser

• The Mrs. Visser!!
  • Adept
  • Learn & Live Well!!
    • Growing Up Herbal
Re: How do you make a Poultice?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 10:18:52 PM »
How do you make a plantain poultice? Can you do it with fresh or dried plantain? I'd like to know how to do it with both fresh and dried plantain if that is possible. I have not found plantain in my yard yet. I'll look for it come spring and especially summer.

Okay fresh first, then dried. Someone correct me if I'm wrong or if you have another method!!

Fresh

Pick plantain and wash it. Heat some extra virgin olive oil on low heat over the stove. Tear your plantain into small pieces and let it heat in the olive oil for 1-2 hours - make sure it's on low heat or you'll fry the plantain, stir occasionally. Then remove the herbs from the oil - don't express the oil from the herbs because that's where the good stuff is at. Put the herbs directly on the area and cover with a napkin, then wrap in plastic wrap (holds heat in). For example...bee sting to hand - put poultice on hand and wrap in plastic wrap so the heat warms the oil and herbs and also opens your pours to let the good stuff in.

Dried

I grind any dried herb that I'm using as a poultice so that the medicinal properties are released better. I use a coffee grinder that I only use for my herbs. So, grind your plantain, put in a bowl and add aloe vera gel to it until all the dried herb is wet and sticks together. Last add enough olive oil so that it spreads easily. Put on area, cover with napkin, and wrap in plastic wrap.

I'm sure there are other ways, but that's how I do it!!

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
Re: How do you make a Poultice?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 05:51:25 PM »
Here is a 9 minute long youtube vid on how to make  and freeze a poultice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygaKy61ElNk&feature=channel_page