Author Topic: Juniper Berries  (Read 5451 times)

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
Juniper Berries
« on: May 01, 2009, 09:08:07 AM »
I've always been fascinated with juniper berries.
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/j/junipe11.html

Action: Diuretic, Anti-microbial, Carminative, Anti-Rheumatic, Antiseptic, Anti-Diabetic,
Aperient, Anti-Inflammatory, Anodyne, Anti-Spasmodic, Anti-Viral, Hypotensive.

As stated in Practical Herbalism:
With such accolades and a ready supply of Juniper Berries handy, you might be forgiven for wondering why the great herbalist (Culpeper) needed any other remedy.
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline JesiRaine

• Learning
Re: Juniper Berries
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 05:54:25 AM »
This sounds fascinating!  Can you tell me how you would prepare it for various uses?  Do you have any experience in gathering it yourself?  We have so many Juniper bushes in our yard.  Our chickens LOVE the berries...
Visit my blog at ourhappyhomestead.com or my family at www.thebabyzeke.com

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 06:06:31 AM »
Practical Herbalism talks of eating a few fresh daily and gathering them to dry, I am not near them to gather but would if I were.
I buy them dried and have used them in a tea combo with other berries,and herbs and like them that way I intend to tincture them in a combo also.
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline cactusway

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 10:41:41 AM »
I want to tincture some dried Juniper Berries too.  Do you tincture them whole or grind them up ?

If you gind them, how do you do it?

Offline seekingtruth

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 12:35:07 PM »
I want to tincture some dried Juniper Berries too.  Do you tincture them whole or grind them up ?

If you gind them, how do you do it?

You start with them whole, add them to the alcohol and then in a few days after they are rehydrated, you dump the whole thing into a good blender, blend it all up really good and put back in the mason jar to finish tincturing.  Shake every day.

Tammy

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 08:27:41 AM »
I have been researching juniper berries and am finding some cool stuff out about them but I am confused.

We have a cedar tree with loads of juniper berries on it. I found out that there are several types of cedar tress. Mine is the type with the red center that smells so wonderful.

I also found that there is different kinds of juniper berries and that some dont have much value to them.

I also found that juniper berries have the ability to help jump start a diabetic pancreas.

But the research is confusing.

Do I have the good type of juniper berries via my cedar tree or the weaker type of juniper berry?

My chickens also like eating them. I eat them sometimes too.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 06:33:38 AM »
Also to go along with my above post:

When is the best time of the year to harvest the cedar tree berries?

Does the red cedar tree have the same juniper berries that are madicinal?

I dont have false hope of them jump starting my pancreas but if they can at least help a little bit like the research says then I want to try using them properly as soon as possible.

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
  • We are in the Lords Army. Yes Sir!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 01:52:11 AM »
BJ,

Remember when we were looking all that up on the Diabetes thread. I read one of the links I am thinking the one that talks about the fungus link, and A man on there had mentioned that he was an herbalist and prescribed a patient of his to take juniper berries. The man thought that the tree in his yard was a juniper and it ended up being a ceder. He took the cedar berries and it started healing his pancreas. The herbalist was excited when he found out that it was healing the pancreas and said it was a link he was looking for. As the juniper berries just help the insulin work.

I tried to find it so I could paste it here but if you have a look back at the diabetes thread you may find it. I am pretty sure it went through the cure zone site to get it. I tried but it may just be to late in the night to work my eyes properly. Funny that because it is only 9:46 here.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 06:42:18 AM »
No wonder it all seemed so familiar to me then. As I was researching juniper and cedar berries it seemed like I had read it before. Thank you for the reminder. It sounds like a combo of juniper berries to assist the insulin along with the cedar berries to nurish the pancreas is a good combo then. Cool.