Author Topic: What do with fresh grape juice?  (Read 4384 times)

YoopreMama

What do with fresh grape juice?
« on: October 13, 2006, 06:21:55 AM »
Hi!

I have some fresh grape juice and am wondering what you all would do with it?   :D

We've enjoyed it sweetened and diluted...I've added kefir grains to it (but that's another question--the Yogourmet type...like its yogurt starter counterpart, doesn't quite sound like your alls' interesting kefir starters...), and it's cogitating on my fridge.

I'm planning to freeze it today if no great plans develop. 

Ideas!?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 09:45:47 AM by YooperMama »

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
Re: What do with fresh grape juice?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 07:08:13 AM »
You can make grape jelly, or can the grape juice in a water bath, or depending on how you processed the grape juice, you could make the fermented grape juice in the Nurishing Traditions book.  You can't used juice made by heating the grapes to extract the juice  for the grape cooler.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 09:14:24 AM »
Mix it with yogurt and make popsicles.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 12:59:51 PM »
I am making fresh grape jelly, well jam since I am going to squeeze out everthing I can instead of letting it just drip out..anyway, what would you all do with these beautiful, healthful seeds and skins? I hate throwing them out?
Sandra
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 03:38:37 PM »
I am making fresh grape jelly, well jam since I am going to squeeze out everthing I can instead of letting it just drip out..anyway, what would you all do with these beautiful, healthful seeds and skins? I hate throwing them out?
Sandra

I've heard the seeds, especially of the muscadine grapes are very high in antioxidants. In fact, Mercola.com sells a supplement made with them.  I think I would maybe dry them out and grind them up as a supplement. Maybe sprinkle them on food like milk thistle seed.

As for the skins, my mom said that my great-grandmother would save them and make a pie out of them. I've been meaning to try to find a recipe for that! I bet it would be yummy!!  We've got a whole bunch of wild grapes growing at our neighborhood playground right now. I only wish I could reach high enough to pick them all. I did get one small paper bag full though.
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 06:25:47 AM »
I had a friend tell me that her grandmom would can the skin an pulp, then later use it in pies. Also she would mix it with blackberry preserves to make a pie or cobbler as well.
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

Nickole

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 06:55:28 AM »
Sandra

I've put entire Muscadine grapes in my Vitamix and just totally pulverized them and then mashed the stuff through a fine sieve - you get yummy thick "juice" that you can drink straight or make popsicles with.  It was delicious.  I'm jealous of all of you that have grapevines.  Everyone seems to have their own vines here in NC - I need to get on the ball  ::)

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 07:01:23 AM »
I've ran entire ones of those through my green power juicer too to make juice, it was purple & delicious. Only it had a big tang to it, I think from the bitterness of the seeds. But hey, at least it's supposed to be good for ya. Maybe I'll run this big bag I have through the juicer & re-mix it with the pulp to make "grapesauce". Then at least my kids could eat them.

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 01:28:31 PM »
I just wanted to share my excitement...I canned grape juice today from a ORGANIC vineyard! Yeahyeah! It is so yummy. We rented a steamer and that was pretty neat to use. I'm know straining the "waste" to get every last drop. I plan on making some grape jello and jelly this week. :)

YoopreMama

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 04:10:48 PM »
Way to go, sunshine4th!  We don't have grapes this year (a pruning year after 30 years of overgrowth), but I get local grapes w/ the SEEDS (YUM--All the good medicine!)...maybe next year we'll have some juice...then I'll reread your posts!  :D