Author Topic: Preservative & Dye Free?  (Read 2601 times)

Offline mamatomany

• Adept
Preservative & Dye Free?
« on: August 08, 2012, 01:58:42 AM »
I would love to start doing this and do NOT even know where to start :(  I have a large family and have noticed some of my children react to certain foods.  Was wondering if there was a easy list of what to do, what to buy, what not to buy.  Thank you so much!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Re: Preservative & Dye Free?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 04:54:41 AM »

It is overwhelming to begin to change the way your family eats, isn't it?!   You can change everything at once (difficult!) or begin making changes little by little.  The small changes over time worked much better for me. 

This cookbook, Whole Foods For The Whole Family, helped me to see how to make meals from scratch with healthier ingredients.  It has some great information on food sensitivities and step-by-step menu plans & recipes. 

Hope that will help.  Keep working at it! 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 09:37:40 AM »
The simplest way to getting foods that are preservative and dye free is to start all recipes with whole ingredients. Other than that you have to become an label reader. Pretty much any thing on the label that is not a simple, whole food name will be suspect.

I also think that small, steady changes are more permanent, attainable way to reach the goal of setting a healthy table.  In your case I would start with the foods you notice reactions too and find alternative brands or learn to make them fresh yourself so there is no need for  the preservatives.

This area of WellTellMe has many recipe threads under each food group header. If you don't find a thread talking about the recipe you are looking for, start one! It's been awhile since we talked recipes. I bet the users here have been experimenting and have some new ones to share.
http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/board,10.0.html

Offline kcb

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 10:04:03 AM »
Small steady changes are the way to go!  Tackle one thing at a time and wait until you are comfortable with the change before moving on.  We have been eating "chemical free" for years, and I keep on making changes as I learn more.  Good quality food is important.  I commend you for considering the issues and putting in the effort to improve your family's food.

Offline MyTwoCents

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 12:07:35 PM »
This is my idea. You know those Reno shows like complete home make overs? Well I think these "Pros" like HB, should do a complete health makeover show. They should come to our homes for a week and show us how it's done! Oh the things they would find in our cupboards :-[ My children will have to do some major cleanses :(