Author Topic: Achondroplasia/Little People  (Read 1496 times)

Offline MyTwoCents

• Learning
Achondroplasia/Little People
« on: July 17, 2012, 06:30:24 PM »
I have tried searching for anything related to this and I can't find anything. I'm mostly wondering if there is anyone else on here that has a child that has achondroplasia? I have a 3 year old ds that is a little guy, he's absolutely adorable, but I do sometimes struggle with the idea of him being small, only because I fear that I will not be able to be kind to people when they stare or make comments that are not all good. This has only happened once so far, but wow did that upset me. Yes I was able to respond kindly :) Also wondering if it's "normal" for their speech to be very delayed? Would love any thoughts on raising him to be happy and normal otherwise.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
Re: Achondroplasia/Little People
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 05:32:50 AM »
I do not have a child with this but I do have a niece with it.  She was delayed in all aspects of her development but she did eventually get her speech.  They did do quite a bit of different types of physical and speech therapy with her but it wasn't bad and didn't take long for her to kick into gear and be able to chatter.   Today she is 14, very well adjusted, happy, and active.  They involved her in a community of like people but also taught her to stand up for herself (kindly but strongly) in school. 
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.