Author Topic: Antibiotics  (Read 18033 times)

Offline Pennie

• Master
Antibiotics
« on: October 13, 2006, 04:43:30 AM »
Didn't really know where this should go.  I am wondering what you ladies know about cipro.   The nurse just called and this is what she said or alteast what I heard the dr. thinks your husband might have an infection and wants him to take cipro.  So I looked it up and I really don't want him to take it.  Especially since I heard her says thinks might.  hm.  It sounds scary to me.  The man has no symptoms of infection so I am thinking I should just give him colloidol silver and garlic.  I don't want to give too much info as to how they found they think he might have an infection  ::) but I can tell you he doesn't want to have to have them check him again.   :-[  I could call her back and try to get more info out of her but I'm sure when I say what I think that won't be popular so I wanted to see if you all think I am being paranoid about this.........oh, it is supposedly the antibiotic they would use to treat anthrax...........

Offline jessyru

• Adept
Re: Antibiotics
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 05:16:49 AM »
I've used Cipro before. It's a very powerful antibiotic. It made me feel nauseous and dizzy AND it gives some people (like me) an awful case of diarrhea because it totally destroys ALL the flora in your digestive tract. What about GOOT? Never used it but it seems to be pretty popular on here.
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
~1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 05:38:46 AM »
Cipro is not only prescribed for anthrax.  I took it years ago for an infected toe.  It's very effective at taking away internal blood infections, but like any other antibiotics, it's very bad for the gut.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 06:21:03 AM »
I only mentioned the antrax thing b/c that made me think it must be one of the strongest "drugs" out there.  I just dont' see taking something that strong for a might have.  I am going to talk to the nurse again though.  The internet must be a docs worst nightmare.  :P

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 05:57:41 AM »
Drs. Farbman and Barnett of the Boston University School of Medicine, prepared liquid extracts of fresh garlic and incubated it with fourteen strains of bacteria, including E. coli, Haemophilus influenzae, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus Group A, and Streptococcus pneumoniae. The "garlic juice" was found to inhibit the growth of all fourteen strains. The garlic juice even worked against antibiotic-resistant S. aureus, currently the most dangerous antibiotic-resistant bacterium in hospitals. (5)

from http://www.holisticonline.com/Remedies/Biot/biot_anthrax-natural-rem-garlic.htm
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 01:29:39 PM »
An alternative to Cipro:

Cipro is one of the quinolone antibiotics based on quinovic acid glycosides.  The herb samento (cat's claw) contains large amounts of these compounds.  So, rather than use the synthetic consider using the herb.  Specifically, TOA-free cat's claw from the Peruvian jungle called Prima Una de Gato .  TOAs (tetracyclic oxindole alkaloids) inhibit the beneficial properties of the herb, so you really want TOA-free samento.

This form of the herb can be purchased from

- Allergy Research Group/Nutricology (www.nutricology.com). Ask for Prima Una de Gato.

- Nutramedix (www.nutramedix.com).  Ask for Samento Plus.

- Farmacopia (www.farmacopia.net).

For intractable or difficult infections such as Lyme disease, treatment is continued for quite a bit longer than the typical 10-60 days of standard antibiotics.  Hard-to-treat infections such as prostatitis would also probably have a longer than ususal treatment period. 

On the other hand, LARGE doses of raw garlic (2-3 heads or 30-40 cloves a day) can be impressively effective for stubborn infections.  It is one of the best broad-spectrum antibiotics in the universe according to Herbal Antibiotics.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 01:34:11 PM by DHW »

YoopreMama

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 01:33:48 PM »
An alternative to Cipro:

Cipro is one of the quinolone antibiotics based on quinovic acid glycosides.  The herb samento (cat's claw) contains large amounts of these compounds.  So, rather than use the synthetic consider using the herb.  Specifically, TOA-free cat's claw from the Peruvian jungle called Prima Una de Gato .  TOA (tetracyclic oxindole alkaloids) inhibit the beneficial properties of the herb, so you really want TOA-free samento.

For intractable or difficult infections such as Lyme disease, treatment is continued for quite a bit longer than the typical 10-60 days of standard antibiotics.  Hard-to-treat infections such as prostatitis would also probably have a longer than ususal treatment period. 

On the other hand, LARGE doses of raw garlic (2-3 heads or 30-40 cloves a day) can be impressively effective for stubborn infections.  It is one of the best broad-spectrum antibiotics in the universe according to Herbal Antibiotics.
I'm so glad you mentioned this...it reminds me of Jordan Rubin (Maker's Diet guy who "had" Crohn's)...he recommends Cat's Claw...and cipro is often used during the treatment of Crohn's....hmmmm...

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 10:40:46 AM »
I'm seeking some advice as to whether I should go on antibiotics.  Here is the history of this cold.  2 Thursdays ago I lost my voice.  Since then I have developed a cough which has gone from very dry to thick and 'phlegmy' alternately.  I have gone through times where I feel very heavy in my chest, like I can hardly breathe and the last few nights I have coughing fits where my back and head hurt bad and my neck gets very stiff and sore.  I cough up green/yellow gunk, mostly in the morning. 
My mom is advising me to get to the Dr. and get antibiotics so this doesn't turn into pnemonia.  I've been taking Oregonal, garlic, natural cough syrup (Umcka), lots of tea.  I start to think I'm getting better then everything goes downhill again.  I haven't been on antibiotics for years and I dread the thought of opening up that can of worms but nothing seems to be working and I would really like to get better by next week as I'm taking my 'big' kids to the Nutcracker and I can't cough through the whole thing.
Would you go on antibiotics or wait it out?  Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you. :)

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 10:47:12 AM »
Go to the dr.  and see if it is even anything you NEED antibiotics for! at least get checked out find out what it is and if he gives you a script you don't need to fill it if you don't want to.
   hope you feel better soon!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 11:13:23 AM »
I'm seeking some advice as to whether I should go on antibiotics.  Here is the history of this cold.  2 Thursdays ago I lost my voice.  Since then I have developed a cough which has gone from very dry to thick and 'phlegmy' alternately.  I have gone through times where I feel very heavy in my chest, like I can hardly breathe and the last few nights I have coughing fits where my back and head hurt bad and my neck gets very stiff and sore.  I cough up green/yellow gunk, mostly in the morning. 
My mom is advising me to get to the Dr. and get antibiotics so this doesn't turn into pnemonia.  I've been taking Oregonal, garlic, natural cough syrup (Umcka), lots of tea.  I start to think I'm getting better then everything goes downhill again.  I haven't been on antibiotics for years and I dread the thought of opening up that can of worms but nothing seems to be working and I would really like to get better by next week as I'm taking my 'big' kids to the Nutcracker and I can't cough through the whole thing.

You might want to read these threads.  They talk about using lobelia to clean out the lungs.
hth

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2568.0.html

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3079.0.html

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,12182.0.html

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2170.0.html
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 11:18:40 AM »
Good advice, KN!!  Now why hadn't I thought of that?  For some reason I had it in my mind that if I went to the Dr. I'd be roped into taking antibiotics.

Blessed, it's funny you should mention Lobelia.  There is a very sweet woman on here who contacted me after reading my prayer requests.  She kindly offered to send me some Lobelia that she made herself.  Now you are the 3rd person to mention Lobelia to me.  I can't wait to try it!

You might want to read these threads.  They talk about using lobelia to clean out the lungs.
hth

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2568.0.html

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3079.0.html

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,12182.0.html

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2170.0.html

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 11:29:25 AM »
How often are you taking the Oreganol? When my DH takes it for walking pneumonia he takes 6-10 drops of the Super Strength under the tongue several times a day. The key is several times a day. My DH has been treated with antibotics & steriods before when he has walking pnemonia & Oreganol works better IF he takes it often enough- if he only takes it half way he improves some but it doesn't go away completely. If you aren't taking it often enough you give it time to resurge & get the upper hand again.  You could add ginger & cayenne to what you are taking. We do this when DH is at his worst- he has a very bad habit of waiting to treat until he gets so bad that he can barely breathe, his chest hurts so bad that he can't stand it anymore & he has so much fluid in his lungs that I can HEAR him sloshing when he rolls over in bed. When he is like that I give him 2 ginger capsules & at least 1 capsule of 35,000 heat unit cayenne each time he takes the Oreganol. Ginger helps with congestion & detoxifying & cayenne thins mucus & increases circulation.

He also usually takes 2 capsules of licorice root 4Xs a day to keep his blood sugar up since he eats a whole lot of not much when he is really sick.

The lobelia mentioned in the other posts will probably help as well. Ginger People makes a chewy ginger candy that is just ginger & sugar that you can chew on during the Nutcracker to help keep the goop thin & reduce the likelyhood of coughing.

If you feel that you must take an antibiotic, Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) is a potent antibiotic & antifungal. I mention the antifungal part because many times bad infections are both bacteria AND fungus. An antibiotic will help the bacteria part so the condition will seem to improve but it will actually allow the fungal part to get worse so it will then come back. GSE doesn't have all the side effects that antibiotics do. Here is a doseage chart for NutriBiotic's GSE which is the standard brand available at the HFS- if you use Beeyoutiful's keep in mind that it is almost twice as strong as NutriBiotic's so adjust the dose.

NutriBiotic GSE Usage Chart

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 11:45:30 AM »
Herbalmom, When I went to my HFS I found the brand you recommended but it wasn't until later that I realized I did not buy the super stregth (which is hard to believe because what I do have is HOT :o). 
I've been drinking lots of licorice tea. 
I love that Ginger Candy! 
Does anyone know if Lobelia is safe while nursing? 
I'll pick up GSE tomorrow at the HFS and give it a try.
Thanks!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 11:58:41 AM »
Reg strength Oreganol IS hot. Super Strength is worse.  :o :o According to North American Herb & Spice, Super Strength is 3Xs stronger than regular strength. You may need to take more than you are taking. Like I said, my DH takes 6-10 drops of the super strength under the tongue several times a day. He weighs about 140lbs so you can adjust for your weight. I have to say that he worked up to that amount though- he couldn't handle that much at 1st. You could take a few drops every 1/2 hour to an hour- easier to take because it's not as hot as the large does. My DH hates taking anything so he would rather take more less often. It's easy to lose track of time when taking something that frequently though- set an alarm to remind you.

I have given babies Lobelia so I don't see what it would be a problem while nursing. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline oliveoil

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 12:23:24 PM »
Cipro is not only prescribed for anthrax.  I took it years ago for an infected toe.  It's very effective at taking away internal blood infections, but like any other antibiotics, it's very bad for the gut.

I am taking this for a UTI that is trying to develop into a kidney infection. Reluctant to do this but anyway, what can I do to help the situation once I'm done with the regiment of pills?

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 12:37:24 PM »

I am taking this for a UTI that is trying to develop into a kidney infection. Reluctant to do this but anyway, what can I do to help the situation once I'm done with the regiment of pills?
I would check the thread for a yeast cleanse.  IMO it is good to do following the course of antibiotics.
While you are on the cipro you might also consider taking Tummy Tune Up or another probiotic.

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 07:34:52 AM »
I'm wondering if it does any good to take TTU while on antibiotics.  My family and I were diagnosed with strep throat and put on antibiotics.  I haven't been on antibiotics since a child and would like to do all in my power to combat its destroying our guts.  I have acidophilus pills for the kids and TTU for dh and I.  I also have YA that I plan to take once our antibiotics are done.  I keep the fridge stocked with homemade yogurt the little ones love.  But I don't want to waste my TTU by taking them now if the antibiotics will destroy them.  Should I wait to do any repair damage until we are off it?    If there is an answer on another thread, I'd be glad if someone could point me there.  :)

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 07:51:21 AM »
I'm wondering if it does any good to take TTU while on antibiotics.  My family and I were diagnosed with strep throat and put on antibiotics.  I haven't been on antibiotics since a child and would like to do all in my power to combat its destroying our guts.  I have acidophilus pills for the kids and TTU for dh and I.  I also have YA that I plan to take once our antibiotics are done.  I keep the fridge stocked with homemade yogurt the little ones love.  But I don't want to waste my TTU by taking them now if the antibiotics will destroy them.  Should I wait to do any repair damage until we are off it?    If there is an answer on another thread, I'd be glad if someone could point me there.  :)

If it were me, I would take them while taking the antibiotics.  I wouldn't take them at the same time however.  I would think it would be good to keep some sort of good bacteria in there while the antibiotics are killing the bad stuff.  I am also thinking that it could lessen the bad effects of the antibiotics. (diareah, stomach upset).  JMO, though, HTH

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 09:03:13 AM »
I don't think I'd bother unless I had some sort of tummy upset.  I would; however, start taking them in very large doses right after the antibiotics are done.  This is just an opinion as I've never done this.  Even before WTM, I didn't take antibiotics often and after WTM I haven't gone back.  Easy choice for me because of the bad effects.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 03:21:32 PM »
I've been theorizing that it may be a good idea to take raw garlic or other yeast killers while taking antibiotics. My thinking is that if you kill the yeast at the same time the good guys are dying off, then it robs the yeast of the opportunity to over populate the empty gut. And when you start taking the probiotics they will have the first chance at the prime real estate.

What'a y'all think?

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 03:31:33 PM »
I've been theorizing that it may be a good idea to take raw garlic or other yeast killers while taking antibiotics. My thinking is that if you kill the yeast at the same time the good guys are dying off, then it robs the yeast of the opportunity to over populate the empty gut. And when you start taking the probiotics they will have the first chance at the prime real estate.

What'a y'all think?

WR

I would agree.  My dd has been sick for a week.  Is on antibiotics and I am doing GOOT on her, but not TTU. Will start that as soon as the amoxicillin is done.  I wanted to just give her cloves of garlic in honey, instead of the the GOOT,  but she said "I am so sick of taking medicine!"   :P  Poor Babe!  She has had Motrin and Tylenol A LOT this last week! 

What do you all think about doing GSE with the antibiotics, also?

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 04:31:38 PM »

What'a y'all think?

WR

So then I should probably take my YA now.  I have GOOT for the kids and just ordered two more bottles of TTU for all of us.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 06:34:28 PM »

What'a y'all think?

WR

So then I should probably take my YA now.  I have GOOT for the kids and just ordered two more bottles of TTU for all of us.

I would.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 07:47:13 AM »

What'a y'all think?

WR
Sounds reasonable to me and probably wiser than wasting your probiotics IMO.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2008, 05:02:09 AM »
I thought I'd update you all on our antibiotic condition and thank you for your advice.  We are all done with antibiotics and are on the mend.  I have been taking YA for several days and started pumping acidophilus tablets in the kids and TTU in me since off antibiotics.  So far NO yeast infection!!   ;D ;D  I say "so far" because I figured it would have shown up by now.  Am I right or does it hit you like 2 weeks later?  :-\

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2008, 05:23:16 PM »
Another tidbit from the book I'm reading.

Kaufman also believes that antibiotics, many of which begin as fungi, can contribute to the development of cancer.  He hypothesizes that perhaps many cases of cancer are actually misdiagnosed and are in reality fungal infections/overgrowths.  Consider this:  fungal infections not only can be extremely contagious, but they also go hand in hand with leukemia (every oncologist knows this).  For example, in 1999, Kr. Meinolf Karthaus watched three different children with "leukemia" suddenly go into remission upon receiving a triple antifungal drug cocktail for their "secondary" fungal infections.  Amazing, huh?

from Cancer:  Step Outside the Box

So antibiotics may be responsible for fungal infections and/or many cancers not only from the standpoint that they in fact destroy the good flora, but because they might in fact actually introduce the fungal infection to the body while killing the only natural defense the body has against it.  Double Whammy.  I already avoid these things like the plague, but yet another reason to stand fast.   :o
  My favorite herb book!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2008, 01:59:41 AM »
Interesting, HB.  I was just reading the same thing on the Bea Wilder site...wonder if she's read the same book?  Sounds like one to read...doesn't HM recommend it?

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 08:38:53 PM »
I have recommended Doug Kaufmann's books & web site:  www.knowthecause.com

He makes a compelling case in his books, esp the long version of 'The Germ That Causes Cancer' that cancer is usually a fungal infection. The long version of the book is out of print but some libraries have it. He now publishes 'The Germ That Causes Cancer Handbook' which IMO just really isn't worth much. I MUCH prefer the big book.

It looks like it's Doug Kaufmann's info that is being summarized in the quote HB posted from the book 'Cancer:  Step Outside the Box'

As far as 'cancer' being fungus, we are POSITIVE that the br*st 'cancer' that killed my mom in '07 was a fungal growth. You can read about it here:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5439.0.html

As far as the antibiotics, it's not just that they encourage yeast/fungus or that they introduce fungus into the body. It's also that they are MYCOTOXINS themselves- which means fungal TOXINS. It's the toxins that are the part that's deadly to bacteria. These toxins cause damage to the body over & beyond just killing off all the good flora of the body.

That's the reason why I will recommend Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) over an antibiotic even though they are both broad spectrum & kill of the good bacteria as well as the infectious bacteria. I also recommend GSE over antibiotics b/c as I have posted frequently before often times an infection is either fungal, not bacterial or it's a combination infection that's BOTH fungus AND bacteria. (Also info that I got from Doug Kaufmann) GSE is a potent antibiotic, yes but it's ALSO a potent antifungal so it works for both types of infection or a combination infection.

Blessings ~herbalmom