Author Topic: Thyroid issues?  (Read 2936 times)

Offline Bamagirl

• Learning
Thyroid issues?
« on: July 02, 2012, 02:19:25 AM »
Two-three years ago, I was at the women's doctor and she was telling me how my weight gain was causing my "issues" because once a woman hits 200 lbs it messes up the hormones.  I told her that I had given up on losing weight because I had walked briskly on treadmill for 45 minutes 5 times a week, cut out all colas and sweet tea and started drinking water and stopped eating sweets and at the end of the six months I had gained 4 lbs.  No, it wasn't muscle either as none of my clothes fit differently.  Anyway she checked my thyroid and said my levels were borderline high @ 3.95.  So, I started taking Levothyroxine.  Now three years later, I am probably 15-20 lbs heavier and still have some of my issues, such as hands/feet swelling especially in the morning.  No weight loss even though my thyroid at the last test two months ago was 0.267, I have periods of depression.  I am thinking about coming off the levothyroxine as it doesn't seem to be helping.  I am wondering if my thyroid issues are adrenal issues or a combination of the two.  I guess I have sweet cravings, but more like chocolate cravings at least three to four times a week, but I contribute this to the fact that I love chocolate, but it seems like the more I eat, the more I crave?  I have absolutely no will power to lose weight anymore, I tried doing Tae-Bo and wound up messing up something in my knee.  I am tired of being fat, but am at a loss as to what to "try" next.  Carbs and chocolate are my weakness and years ago, I stopped them totally and lost 20 pounds, however I was 18 and after six months I crashed and went crazy.  Anyway if I stop taking the levothyroxine, I know I need sea kelp or spirulina for my thyroid, but what else would I need to see if it is my adrenals as well?  Anyone managing thyroid/adrenal issues with herbs and if so, what do you do/take?  Any info will be greatly appreciated.

One more thing, I want to start looking for herbs as I live in Alabama and in the country, however, I am scared to death I am going to pick something that is poisonous or going to hurt us.  Any advice on good books or websites with good pictures and descriptions of herbs?

Sorry if I rambled too much, I have a tendency to do that  :-[

Offline kcb

• Adept
Re: Thyroid issues?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 01:21:43 AM »
Coconut oil can help with both thyroid issues and weight loss.  It has to be unrefined coconut oil.  I drink 1 to 2 tablespoons every morning in warm water/broth with salt, and sometimes in the afternoon too.  If you will drink it 20 minutes before eating each meal, it takes the edge off hunger and makes your body feel more satisfied.  Dietary fat is what triggers your body to stop eating. 
http://www.eatfatlosefat.com/book.php

Also, cravings can be caused by candida yeasts and other bad microbes in the gut.  A gut cleanse and probiotics can help.  But it can take a long time (2 years) to fix it completely.

Have you searched on thyroid, weight loss, etc. on this forum? 

Offline Bamagirl

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 01:28:53 AM »
I have the weight loss, but there is sooo much information.  I haven't done the search on thyroid or adrenal yet.  Will probably get to it later on this week.  Thanks for replying.

Offline white89

• Wide Eyed
    • Laser Toenail Fungus Treatment, Fungal Infection Treatment in Toronto
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 08:21:43 PM »
 8)yup coconut oil is best option for your weight loss because it contains no hydrogenation contains 92% saturated fat -- the highest amount of saturated fat of any fat. so try it.