Author Topic: husband has persistent dry cough  (Read 2179 times)

Offline aribari

• Learning
husband has persistent dry cough
« on: August 09, 2012, 06:55:59 PM »
hi,
my husband has had a persistent dry cough for a couple of weeks and i can't figure out why. at first i thought it was allergies, but whenever he took any kind of allergy relief it didn't seem to help with the cough. there's no phlegm or anything, he says it's just like a tickle in his chest and he has to cough. any thoughts?
thanks!

Offline kcb

• Adept
Re: husband has persistent dry cough
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 09:59:58 AM »
My son had a persistent dry cough for months, and it turned out to be a pinched nerve in his spinal column.  Chiropractic adjustments fixed it. 

Offline Precious

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 01:00:16 PM »
My daughter had a dry cough (mostly at night) and it turned out to be a dairy allergy.

Offline Precious

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 07:36:18 AM »
One more possibility I see frequently mentioned for an unexplained cough is GERD (acid reflux).  However, DO NOT have him start on any acid suppressing medications/proton pump inhibitors (Nexium, Prevacid, Prilosec, etc).  Most acid reflux is caused by too little acid.  Those meds will help the symptoms, but will exacerbate the underlying problem.  Chris Kresser has a lot of good info on natural treatments for GERD on his website.

Offline aribari

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 07:59:41 AM »
thanks for the info about GERD. my husband was diagnosed with IBS a couple of years ago and after an upper endoscopy they said he had a lot of acid in his stomach. he's been taking med on and off since then, in addition to trying some other natural remedies but now i'm wondering if everything he's doing is causing him to have too little acid. i'll check out that website. thank you!