Author Topic: Son stepped on a nail! I need encouragement!  (Read 4118 times)

Offline LittleHouseMom

• Wide Eyed
Son stepped on a nail! I need encouragement!
« on: June 28, 2012, 12:39:10 PM »
My 12yr old son, who is not vaccinated, stepped on a nail in the barn.  It went through his shoe.  He had been cleaning the turkey pen and there are also chickens in the same area.  But the same shoes he had on had also been worn doing other chores in cow stalls and pony stall.  I know all those conditions are bad.  I'm so worried.  I washed it immediately with soap and water, dumped peroxide on it and then soaked it in epsom salt.  It bleed a little but not a lot.  Today, I have soaked it twice already, used peroxide on a q-tip to keep the skin open at the entrance so it will heal from the inside out.  It did bleed a little more while I was doing that.  I also put on a garlic poultice, gave him a clove of garlic to eat and some vitamin c.  Should I have gone to get TIG? Should I still go?  I'm worrying myself sick but the shot worries me too. 

Offline MyTwoCents

• Learning
Re: Son stepped on a nail! I need encouragement!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 02:14:41 PM »
Do you have Activated charcoal powder? Give him some Gray water to drink and also maybe a poultice of charcoal and ground flax with castor oil right on the foot. I love the charcoal for infections or to prevent them. Maybe some one has a better idea. Hope he'll be OK :'(

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 02:22:50 PM »
You can give him a 30C ledum for the puncture.  Then soak his foot in epsom salts and give internal garlic or oil of oregano.  Remember that tetanus ends up happening because wounds aren't kept clean.  So keeping it clean and allowing it to heal from the inside out is the best thing you can do. 
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline LittleHouseMom

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 02:28:09 PM »
Can you tell me where I would get the activated charcoal?  I have the flax seeds though.  What is Gray water?  You all are a wealth on information.  I'm glad you didn't yell at me for not taking him to the hospital since it involved barn conditions.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 03:06:45 PM »
More info here! http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php?topic=3511.0

One major help mentioned in those threads is epsom salt soaks. I've had probably a half  dozen farm nails in my feet over my childhood, and never anything more than trying to make it bleed at the time of puncture, epsom salt soaks, and triple antibiotic salve. Anyway, check out the link.

Offline MyTwoCents

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 04:13:16 PM »

Can you tell me where I would get the activated charcoal?  I have the flax seeds though.  What is Gray water?  You all are a wealth on information.  I'm glad you didn't yell at me for not taking him to the hospital since it involved barn conditions.
[/quote]

Gray water is the water after you mix charcoal with water then let it sit for at least an hour, than just pour a cup of the water (don't shake it at this point) than just drink it. It's not bad at all. I have ordered at Bulk herb store, but some Health food stores also carry it in capsules. But for now I would probably do the salt soaks if you don't have any charcoal. I have used it quite a bit since I tend to get infections easily when I'm nursing and this is the first time I didn't get horribly sick because I used the charcoal as soon as I felt an infection coming on and I have used it externally as a poultice and I couldn't hardly believe how quickly it took care of the infection. Usually within a day instead of 10! I have had a rusty nail through my foot when I was small and all my mom did was home remedies and I was fine.

Offline Sewbusy

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 07:41:11 PM »
We used a plantain poultice when hubby stepped on an old nail. He just kept it stuffed in the bottom of his sock for a day or two (freshened it 2x a day) Plantain is great for pulling poison.