Author Topic: Anyone ever use Floradix for low iron?  (Read 2596 times)

Offline melissag

• Learning
Anyone ever use Floradix for low iron?
« on: June 20, 2012, 09:43:35 AM »
It's been around a month of taking it now.  I feel wonderful so I thought that it was working.  I should also mention that I am 33 weeks pregnant. Before my hemoglobin was 10.9 now it's 10.7  Before my hematocrit was 31.5 now it's 32.2  So it really hasn't changed much at all!  And my doctor wasn't going to retest me (they never do) but I was curious how the Floradix was working.  I'm really disappointed it doesn't seem to be, I just got my second bottle today that I ordered.  I really don't want to continue to be deficient and thought I was doing something good for my body.  Any thoughts?

Offline Sewbusy

• Adept
Re: Anyone ever use Floradix for low iron?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 06:02:38 AM »
Hemoglobin levels typically drop around 28 weeks. This is suppose to be a sign of "health"(I think it has to do with blood volume expanding like it is supposed to). So with that in mind, it is working for you. Instead of it dropping it stayed about the same. Keep it up and it may go up more before the baby comes. Also, something most DRs don't tell you is that there are 3 types of anemia. The most common one is iron deficiency and with pregnancy doctors assume that is what it is. The other two are B12 and Folic Acid deficiency. They will show up as low hemoglobin but it takes a special test to see if that is what you are truly deficient in. Taking a good B vitamin can help this as well as sublingual B12 drops or pellets(MUST be sublingual if you are going to get anything out of them.)   

Offline carmenFL

• Wide Eyed
    • Natural and Nourished Family
Re: Anyone ever use Floradix for low iron?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 06:04:07 PM »
I used to work for midwives and Floradix was their number one recommendation for low iron issues in pregnancy.  I almost always saw good results with it in our pregnant mamas.  If I remember correctly (it's been a while), the midwives were looking for a hematocrit above 33.  You are increasing which is good.  =-)  Keep it up. 
Carmen