Author Topic: My Salve Seperated!  (Read 1920 times)

Offline foxfirehands

• Wide Eyed
My Salve Seperated!
« on: June 08, 2012, 02:13:01 AM »
I made salve for the first time yesterday and was so excited about trying a organic treatment for a skin condition I have...but my finished product sperated! I steeped a tea of red clover and alfalfa, pour equal amounts of pumpkin oil in a double boiler then added the tea.  Simmered the mixture for 30 minutes then added beeswax.  Poured the hot salve into glass jars and put on the lid.  I noticed that it began to sperate, liquid on bottom and salve on top.  I am so disappointed, kind of a expensive process...can anyone help?

Offline MyTwoCents

• Learning
Re: My Salve Seperated!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 04:54:57 PM »
Um a Tea for salve? : :-\ Sorry I have never heard of that before. I make an oil with the herbs then make a salve. I heat it on low for 3 days, strain the herbs out then make the salve with the oil.  I never put any water into it. I say you can't learn from your mistakes if you don't make any mistakes. I'm learning lots :D. Try again and good luck the next time :)

Offline Sewbusy

• Adept
Re: My Salve Seperated!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 07:04:36 PM »
You may be able to heat it on low for a while (up to a few days) with no lid to try and evaporate out the water. Just an idea. Never tried it but it might be better than having to throw out the whole batch. I've always used oils or more recently lanolin (as I break out with ALL oils).