Author Topic: Pregnant and Problems with Digestion and Racing Heart  (Read 2924 times)

Offline marcy

• Wide Eyed
Pregnant and Problems with Digestion and Racing Heart
« on: May 23, 2012, 10:05:48 AM »
I am pregnant and I am not digesting my food too well. I feel as if it lays in my chest and my throat, although I have large bowel movements everyday or every other. My heart races at times. I had my thyroid tested and the Dr. was happy with the results, 2.49. I don't know if I have food allergies or what is going on but I am feeling very frustrated not having answers. I know my baby needs nutrients. Has anyone ever gone through anythings like this?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 03:12:03 AM by healthybratt »

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Re: Pregnant and Problems with Digestion and Racing Heart
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 01:14:42 PM »
I am pregnant and I am not digesting my food too well. I feel as if it lays in my chest and my throat, although I have large bowel movements everyday or every other. My heart races at times. I had my thyroid tested and the Dr. was happy with the results, 2.49. I don't know if I have food allergies or what is going on but I am feeling very frustrated not having answers. I know my baby needs nutrients. Has anyone ever gone through anythings like this?

How far along are you, Marcy?  Is this your first pregnancy?
What foods do you normally eat?  Are only certain foods making you feel this way?
 Are you following a diet plan, like maybe Dr. Tom Brewer's? 
Why are you thinking that your food isn't digesting or that your baby isn't getting what it needs? 
Are you getting plenty of water to drink?   Do you drink other liquids?  What are they?

I know, just lots of questions.  But without knowing more it would be irresponsible for any of us to comment on your health. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 03:12:22 AM by healthybratt »
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline Warrchar

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 08:30:20 PM »
I have had similar symptoms while pregnant.  I am 36 and have had 9 children.  During my earlier pregnancies I had the racing heart and upon trial and error I discovered that eating sugar, carbs and rich foods made the problem much worse.  I felt better, digestion and heart if I ate mostly raw vegetables, fruits, nuts, and proteins. 

Offline Precious

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 09:18:04 AM »
A TSH blood test is VERY inadequate for a true picture of thyroid health.  Your results are actually outside of the optimal range of .1 to 2.0, even though many doctors consider anything up to 3.0 "normal."  What is "normal" may not be what is best for YOU.  Here are the blood tests I would recommend: a TPO Ab (Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody) and a TgAb (Antithyroglobulin Antibody).  Many doctors only run the TPO, so you'll have to be firm.  These tests can tell you if you have an autoimmune thyroid disease called Hashimoto's.  It is very common and frequently begins during pregnancy (read more here).  The tachycardia (heart racing) occurs as your body attacks the thyroid and too much thyroid hormone gets dumped into your system at once.  If your thyroid gland is enlarged, it can cause the strange feeling in your throat (which is probably why your doctor ran the TSH).

I had frequent tachycardia during all three of my pregnancies.  I have Hashimoto's.  My tachycardia would occur when they changed my thyroid replacement hormone dosage or brand.  I still get tachycardia when I ingest MSG or anything that causes inflammation in my body such as gluten or too much sugar/carbs as mentioned by Warrchari above.

If you have an extended period of tachycardia that is wearing you out, lie perfectly flat on your back, take a deep breath, and then bear down like you're having a bowel movement.  Try not to hold your breath.  Your heart should stop racing, but if not, then repeat the procedure.  This is called a Valsalva maneuver and helps reset your heart rate.