Author Topic: iodine?  (Read 2814 times)

Offline marcy

• Wide Eyed
iodine?
« on: May 16, 2012, 10:40:10 AM »
My naturalist does not want me taking a pre-natal vitamin with iodine in it due to the fact that I have thyroid issues. Well, that is what I just ordered last night. Would 150 mcg. of iodine be that much of a problem? she also does not want me eating any broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage due to the sulphur. The vitamins I ordered has broccoli and all the other stuff I listed in it. I ordered Garden of Life Raw Prenatal. Any thoughts on this?

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Re: iodine?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 01:41:52 PM »
There are several opinions and schools of thought on iodine usage for thyroid imbalances.  I would be comfortable taking that amount,(I also have had thyroid issues and have studied quite a bit)  but I can't say you should...I don't have enough details on your history to even begin to make a recommendation.
If sulpher is the only concern in eating the brassicas, I think the vitamin has so little it would be fine. Best check with your care giver though.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 05:21:02 PM »
Just wanted to say that I recently read on another site (trying_low_oxalates) that magnesium gel (mag chloride) applied over the thyroid can really help moderate thyroid symptoms.  Totally anecdotal, but thought it might be helpful to those with thyroid issues.

Reminder: The usual caution about avoiding brassicas because of goitrogens (not sulfur as you mentioned) may be overstated a bit.  http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=250

Offline marcy

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 03:09:44 AM »
Thank you both for your replies. I liked the article I read because it supports what I've been thinking all along. I don't like taking so many healthy foods out of the diet, especially ones that I enjoy.

Marcy

Offline Herbal Harmony

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 10:47:16 AM »
DHW, Thanks for the suggestion re the magnesium. I do use magnesium oil (basically just magnesium chloride and distilled water). I will try spraying my nightly dose on the thyroid area as well. Appreciate everyones advice and wisdom!