Author Topic: Mattress Shopping: What Kind, Where to Get, Pros & Cons  (Read 2234 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Mattress Shopping: What Kind, Where to Get, Pros & Cons
« on: May 14, 2012, 07:26:37 AM »
talk to me about mattresses. i wonder if i could buy a big piece of memory foam and just throw it on my old box springs and get 2 to 3 yrs worth of use out of it or maybe just get a whole memory foam mattress without the coils underneath? i have a simmons beauty rest with a pillow top and it's served us well, but it's 12 yrs old and sagging. it is no longer comfy. mattresses are so expensive in the stores, so i want to be sure that if i go cheaper (online) that i'm not wasting my $$.

hubs and i are both 200+ and are both hip/shoulder/side sleepers so we tend to dent mattresses pretty easily and need something firm but soft enough to accommodate the shoulder/hip bones.

please, let me know things that have worked (or haven't worked) and why.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Re: Mattress Shopping: What Kind, Where to Get, Pros & Cons
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 05:33:57 PM »
All I can tell you is some of what I learned when mattress shopping a few years ago. 

I have a LOT of chemical allergies.  One of the things we had to consider when mattress shopping was that mattresses are treated with fire retardant; which, of course, I'm allergic to.   ::)  I'm also allergic to the outgassing from foam as it breaks down over time.   

So comfort wasn't one of our primary considerations.

I researched a lot of possibilities and found two that we preferred.   One is a latex rubber mattress or mattress cover, which just didn't appeal to us.  The other -- which we bought -- is a cotton covered innerspring futon mattress. 
I love it!  We replaced our first one after about 9 years and the current one is 5 years old.  Very comfy, in my opinion.  Needs to be flipped from time to time.  Easy to clean.  No allergy issues for me.

Some friends of mine did get a dense foam mattress and put it on a platform bed frame.  I don't know how often they replace it.  But they cover it with a homemade denim quilt for a mattress pad to minimize exposure to the gasses from the foam.   They say they are quite happy with it and it certainly is much less expensive than 'normal' mattresses. 

Hope that is something you can use. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline kcb

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 06:15:04 AM »
I'm not sure whether you are looking for chemical-free or just firm and comfy.  This is the chemical-free one that I want to get whenever we have to get new mattresses:
http://www.nontoxicbeds.com/
However, I get a lot of life out of our mattress by bolstering it from underneath.  Our current mattress is 8 - 10 years old, and I'm not ready for a new one yet. 

Offline EllaBellaLynn

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 04:38:57 PM »
Ive had a Sleep Number bed for the last 7 years. I cannot spout enough wonderful things about it lol!.

I honestly didnt do any allergy/health searches about the materials theyre made with.  However i used to have very painful hip joints and i am a side sleeper mostly, so it was hard to find a reasonable bed that could be as soft as i needed and still give my DH a good sleep too.  Im not small ,200 give or take, so it needed to be sturdy too. The hip issue went away completely in about 2 years! The whole first year i would get into bed at night and sigh and tell DH how much i loved it! After awhile i felt i needed more firmness .. so i did. Thats really all i can say about it.
 I went to a local mall to the store there and they let me test it out which really made me more comfortable. I got mine from one of their outlets so it wasnt quite as pricey as the store price.  less than 2k with all the pieces. If you have your own box spring and bedframe it would be less.

Thats all.. did i mention how much i love this bed?..   On another note i also am a person that needs several pillows throughout the nights.  Also my husband just set his once or twice and hasnt touched it since haha.