Author Topic: Hormonal imbalance, acne, depression.  (Read 9276 times)

Offline Tifferbelle

• Learning
Hormonal imbalance, acne, depression.
« on: May 09, 2012, 06:03:34 PM »
Please help me!

I have always struggled with acne, since I was 14 (now 30). The only thing that has helped is the proactiv system. I have used it for 8 years. Every time I try to get off of it, I break out like crazy. I tried to wean off of it and onto some natural stuff after going gluten free and over the course of a few months had 60 or so pimples, some deep and painful, emerge. I have gone back on proactiv, but know it is harmful because it is giving me melasma (brown patches on my forehead) and I really want to be done with it. It also has parabens and many chemical ingredients.
My hormone test showed I have high testosterone and dhea. I also have an ovarian cyst and some chronic numbness and tingling in my face, feet and hands. My period cycle has just become irregular and can't help but think if I fix the acne, the other stuff might get better too or vice versa. I just wanted to know if you have advice for anything topical or internal I can use to help? The acne is affecting my confidence and it makes me  very sad. I just want to be as pretty as I can be for my husband. Should I stop washing my face or wearing makeup altogether to let my skin heal? Is there an acid mantle on the skin that will fight bacteria on it's own if I just leave my face alone and stop washing and irritating it? I feel trapped. I don't want to have bad skin for the rest of my life!
Thank you!
Tiffany
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:45:42 AM by Tifferbelle »

Offline DHW

• Adept
Re: Hormonal imbalance, acne, depression.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 05:28:53 AM »
It sounds like you need to look into PCOS.  There is a lot that goes on internally with acne.  A topical treatment is not really addressing the core issues.  That said, we have had some success with acid water sprayed on the skin 4 times a day.  We use acid water produced by a Jupiter ionizer.

Offline MyTwoCents

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 09:15:35 AM »
I have also struggled with acne since I was 14 (now 30+) and it got really bad with my last pregnancy. It just so happened that I got Shoshana's Making Herbs Simple video and in there they suggest a ACV with Plantain tincture to clean your face with. Well I did on my back and front and face and in 2 weeks I was acne FREE!! It came back on my face after baby was born and just last week started using it again and when my DH came home(Trucker) he told me my face looked much healthier than it had for a while. I'm working on getting my insides clean not just my outside but I can't do much while nursing so this helps alot for now
PS Do Not make Tincture in plastic container I did this once and when I put it on my face it got really red for about an hour now I made it in glass again and it's good again.
I also love doing a Bentonite clay mask every once in a while.
Best of luck

Offline Tifferbelle

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 11:43:36 AM »
DHW- I might have PCOS. I've never had a problem with weight gain though. My naturopath put me on a supplement. I also want to try progesterone cream.  I'm getting another ultrasound next week to see if the cyst is still there. Thanks for your reply.

MyTwoCents-
Thanks for your reply! I'll have to look into getting that video. I would be fine with being dependent on using something topically as long as it was natural. Do you wash your face with soap or wear makeup? I'm only asking because I really want to try "the caveman regimen". You don't wash with soap or wear makeup. For some, it works. I just don't know if those people it works for have hormonal imbalances. I used to break out on my chest and back and I stopped washing both areas with soap, I only use water now, and I don't break out much there anymore. The face might be different though.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 12:57:43 PM »
MyTwoCents, that is another testimonial for the plantain tincture.  I am glad to hear it is working for you. 

I have read that the redness can persist for a few days with the tincture, but it is nothing to be concerned about.  Maybe dilute it with purified water for the first week and then build up to full strength? 

I have also read that it can initially make acne look worse before it gets better, so for anyone considering using it, don't give up too soon!

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 01:41:50 PM »
Tifferbelle, PCOS does not always present all the usual symptoms.  Another poster on WTM mentioned that she had PCOS without weight gain.  Since PCOS is an endocrine disorder it is very important that you get a definite diagnosis.  I like the Female Comprehensive Combo from ZRT (saliva test and blood spot), but insurance may not cover it.

BTW, high testosterone and high DHEA are part of non-classical Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia: http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,21314.msg205485.html#msg205485

If you type PCOS into the search bar, you will get 4 pages of links.  There is some valuable information in there!  Hope you have time to look over it.

If you are looking for the underlying cause, please consider the usual suspects: fungal overgrowth (www.knowthecause.com), heavy metals, parasites, food sensitivities, celiac. 

The least-known cause of chronic conditions is oxalate, a toxin found primarily in plants but also produced (sometimes excessively) in the body: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Trying_Low_Oxalates/

Great information here: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Trying_Low_Oxalates/files/ and http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Trying_Low_Oxalates/links

You have to join the group to read messages (tons of info, but a bit hard to navigate).

Don't rule out oxalates; it is very easy to get into oxalate overload, especially when you are eating healthy with lots of superfoods (not so healthy, nor too super since oxalates are toxins equivalent to heavy metals).

Offline Kris10

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 07:40:16 PM »
I had suffered from acne, face and body, since teenage and did everything from acutane to proactive but nothing worked until I started going all natural. The best things that have worked for me is to drink TWO LITERS of reverse osmosis water with added minerals, because where I live they add flouride and many other chemicals to the water, a day and USE NEEM OIL by Alaffia BASICS, it works wonders. I normally have oily skin with dry spots and this stuff moisturizes and is not too oily. The anti fungal properties in the neem plant help prevent break outs and the high level of antioxidants help clear up the scars. I also just had my first son so I cant do any cleanses but the mothers milk tea from bulk herbs helps keep my insides clean and chia seeds have helped me heal faster when I do have the occasional zit come in. Its been a tough road with many tears, but the more hydrated and healthy I feel inside the more I glow on the outside. Good luck!

Offline MyTwoCents

• Learning
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 05:37:06 AM »
Tifferbelle
I use hardly any makeup and wash my face with mostly water but my back and chest I washed with soap and it made no difference, my face was just as bad as the rest.
You can get the videos if you want, it has lots of info in it, but this is so simple to make just pick a bunch of plantain (or order them if you don't have any) put them in a jar and fill with ACV. Let sit for a couple weeks, shake once a day then strain it. Soak a cotton pad and wipe your problem areas with it, don't rinse off and you're done. Do this a couple times a day.
I started  using mine after one week and it already helped.

Offline Tifferbelle

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 12:20:50 PM »
DHW- Thanks for the links and info. I have been on a really clean diet, so I was beside myself when I started to break out again after trying to get off proactiv. I will look into all of the information. Oxalates definitely might be a possibility.

Thanks Kris10 and MyTwoCents.

I'm currently trying to raise my body temperature. Low body temp=low metabolism. Low metabolism is linked to almost every disease imaginable. I hope it works to kick my thyroid back into gear, heal my adrenals, and balance out my hormones.

Offline Tifferbelle

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 09:26:06 AM »
Kris10-  what changes did you make when you went all natural? I have changed my diet, shampoo, soap, toothpaste, etc. I just wondered if you made more changes. We have well water, not city water, so that is good but their still might be natural fluoride in it. When you remineralize your RO water, what do you put in it?

Offline Kris10

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 04:08:51 PM »
I did about the same as you Tifferbelle, I changed my makeup first and then my face wash, but now I rarely have to wash my face, I just use neem oil and it does all the cleansing for me. I changed my soap and the most important was the diet. Adding more things to help pull out toxins like bentonite clay and spuralina to help replenish. I also stopped using birth control which was a huge contributor to my acne and mostly depression. As for the water, the local store I buy it from remineralizes it for their costumers but a friend of mine was saying he puts trace mineral drops.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 07:08:01 AM »
this link might give you some other ideas.

http://bulkherbstore.blogspot.com/2008/10/acne-hormones.html

My favorite herb book!!

Offline Tifferbelle

• Learning
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 12:01:51 PM »
Thank you Healthy Bratt! So far I have read the Hormonal Imbalance checklist. I've been in the process of ridding our home of chemicals. I still need to find a good alternative for shampoo. I tried the "no poo" but couldn't get the hang of it. My scalp was still greasy and my ends were dry. I also need to buy some cloth sanitary napkins. I have a lot of information to sift through still. Thanks again for the links.