Author Topic: Cleansing, Candida, and TTC  (Read 8687 times)

Offline susanegk

• Learning
Cleansing, Candida, and TTC
« on: April 15, 2012, 04:29:55 PM »

I have struggled with candida overgrowth for the last 11 years (first rash appeared shortly after my rubella vaccine just before college), since spring 2001. I have been candida-rash free only two summers in that time, when I was on strict diets eliminating sugar, wheat, lactose, and similar foods. I had natural vaginal births in both 2008 and 2010, with no interventions except antibiotics, the antibiotics presumably setting my digestive tract into a downward spiral each time, spending 18+ months to see measurable healing to my gut (eczema or psoriasis-like rash appearing post-partum, constipation, inability to digest numerous foods, etc.).

I am currently 18 months post-partum and we would really like to conceive again asap. I have been on the GAPS diet for most of the last 16 months (I say "most" because I have had limited starches for some of the past few months) and take probiotic foods with almost every meal (I have never seen improvement for myself with pill form, even the expensive ones like BioKult, but culture sauerkraut, kefir, etc.). I thought I had cleared my body of candida until I got pregnant in January and then got food poisoning in February. Some combination of the two (my rash appeared within the week of the food poisoning) re-flared my candida rashes. I am so over dealing with yeast! I found out a month later that the baby had passed, and am still (a month after that!) waiting a miscarriage. My rash is almost cleared, but yeast dies slowly, and I don't know if hormones hanging around (since I haven't officially miscarried) are contributing to the lingering.

We are trying to decide if I need to do a detox before trying to conceive again. I do not want to get pregnant again, only to struggle with yeast my whole pregnancy (even in the winter!) like I have with my other pregnancies. Also, while my digestion is vastly improved, it is not 100%, and I think a cleanse might help repair my gut. Would a cleanse be beneficial and worth the effort, even though I've been on GAPS for over a year? (A restricted diet is a cleanse, of sorts.)

How safe is it to try to conceive shortly after a detox? I'm reading some recommendations like waiting 6 months to conceive after a detox, and frankly, I'm not sure I'm willing to wait that long :-/. A month or two, with heavy supplementation of nutrients, yes, but 6 months? Hmm. (For one thing, we are comfortable with very few forms of birth control and I have only limited experience with charting, so I'm not sure if we'd successfully be able to prevent for 6 months :-D.) But I also don't want to enter pregnancy with serious nutritional deficiencies. I am considering something along the lines of Detox+ and would love thoughts. Thanks.

Offline DHW

• Adept
Re: Cleansing, Candida, and TTC
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 05:12:28 PM »
You might try high-dose biotin to get the candida under control.  I learned about it from the Trying_Low_Oxalates yahoo group.  Apparently biotin has been a godsend for quite a few people in that group who were suffering with yeast-related problems.

High-dose is 50mg -200mg per day in divided doses.  Start small and very slowly work your way up.  You will need magnesium along with the biotin, say 150 mg-200 mg three times a day of mag citrate (or mag malate or mag taurate but NOT mag oxide).

I am sorry about your miscarriage.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 05:15:56 AM »
Are you taking anything that will kill the candida? 

I know people who have cured their yeast overgrowth using herbs such as Pau d'Arco, turmeric, bayberry, garlic, and cayenne.   
I had some pretty intensive antibiotics a few years ago due to an accident & 3 surgeries.  When I was off the medications and able to treat the yeast overgrowth, I began eating several cloves of raw garlic 3 or 4 times a day.  Once the yeast was killed, the probiotics were able to populate my now clean system. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 06:18:34 AM »
Are you certain is it candida, and not some other type of fungus or rash?

I would suggest some gentle liver tonics immediately. I believe milk thistle and dandelion to be safe for everyone over 4 months of age. Your liver could use the support, especially through the hormone shifts with impending miscarriage.

Dandelion helps greatly with pregnancy related flareups. Use it multiple times a day up to double and triple the label dosages if using prepared products. You sound like you might be tough enough to handle fresh root.  ;D It can be very bitter, but if you can find it, and handle it, it's a great way to ingest it.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 06:35:58 AM »
if you have been this fastidious with your candida cleansing and it seems as though it's not gone, you may just still have issues with a leaky gut/food intolerances.  i am familiar with GAPS but maybe you just need more concentrated healing??  i think GAPS is a good diet, but i've never actually used it myself.  i healed my own gut with concentrated supplements of aloe, l.glutamine, cod liver oil and probiotics.  the combo of these 4 supplements focuses on the mucousal lining and the soft tissues in the intestines.  if you've had candida issues, then you've probably got holes in your gut.  if you don't heal up the tissues, the symptoms of the candida will continue even when the candida is long gone.

as far as conception following a cleanse, i wouldn't personally see any problems with it.  if you believe that you really need some cleansing, i would recommend a charcoal/clay based cleanse and i would STILL follow up the cleanse with the healing supplements i mentioned above.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline susanegk

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 08:45:07 AM »
Are you taking anything that will kill the candida? 

I know people who have cured their yeast overgrowth using herbs such as Pau d'Arco, turmeric, bayberry, garlic, and cayenne.   
I had some pretty intensive antibiotics a few years ago due to an accident & 3 surgeries.  When I was off the medications and able to treat the yeast overgrowth, I began eating several cloves of raw garlic 3 or 4 times a day.  Once the yeast was killed, the probiotics were able to populate my now clean system.

I am currently taking oil of oregano, which I was never able to take before, when on the pregnant-nursing cycle ;-). I have pau d'arco, though haven't taken it regularly. I will consider your suggestions. Thank you!

Are you certain is it candida, and not some other type of fungus or rash?

I would suggest some gentle liver tonics immediately. I believe milk thistle and dandelion to be safe for everyone over 4 months of age. Your liver could use the support, especially through the hormone shifts with impending miscarriage.

Dandelion helps greatly with pregnancy related flareups. Use it multiple times a day up to double and triple the label dosages if using prepared products. You sound like you might be tough enough to handle fresh root.  ;D It can be very bitter, but if you can find it, and handle it, it's a great way to ingest it.

I have twice had my rash (typically on the underarms, extending to the other abdominal areas if it breaks out worse) diagnosed as candida by a dermatologist so I do believe it is candida. It is flared by all the typical candida flares as well and is a classical-looking candida rash.

I have had a friend recommend a liver cleanse, so perhaps that's a good idea. We live in an apartment complex, so I don't have access to dandelion roots that haven't been sprayed, alas. Will look into liver cleanses, thanks. . .

if you have been this fastidious with your candida cleansing and it seems as though it's not gone, you may just still have issues with a leaky gut/food intolerances.  i am familiar with GAPS but maybe you just need more concentrated healing??  i think GAPS is a good diet, but i've never actually used it myself.  i healed my own gut with concentrated supplements of aloe, l.glutamine, cod liver oil and probiotics.  the combo of these 4 supplements focuses on the mucousal lining and the soft tissues in the intestines.  if you've had candida issues, then you've probably got holes in your gut.  if you don't heal up the tissues, the symptoms of the candida will continue even when the candida is long gone.

as far as conception following a cleanse, i wouldn't personally see any problems with it.  if you believe that you really need some cleansing, i would recommend a charcoal/clay based cleanse and i would STILL follow up the cleanse with the healing supplements i mentioned above.

I've been taking cod liver oil and probiotics, but have not done aloe and l.glutamine (though I've heard of them). Is the aloe purchased as aloe vera juice? Or some other form? My digestion is vastly improved since a year ago, but is not totally healed, so your theory makes sense.

Offline susanegk

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 02:10:50 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, everyone. I've been looking at cleanses more this afternoon and I'm torn as to whether to do a general cleanse (like Detox+) or a specific liver cleanse. Any advice? The issues I have dealt with in the past several years are candida rashes, food intolerances, and eczema/psoriasis-like rash. My sister-in-law had suggested a liver cleanse to me to help with these health problems, as well as possibly help with morning sickness, but I'm not sure if I need a more general detox. What are the advantages of each?

You might try high-dose biotin to get the candida under control.  I learned about it from the Trying_Low_Oxalates yahoo group.  Apparently biotin has been a godsend for quite a few people in that group who were suffering with yeast-related problems.

High-dose is 50mg -200mg per day in divided doses.  Start small and very slowly work your way up.  You will need magnesium along with the biotin, say 150 mg-200 mg three times a day of mag citrate (or mag malate or mag taurate but NOT mag oxide).

I've also been googling on biotin. Do you have any links to point me to regarding biotin for yeast? I'm just finding so far that biotin deficiencies are rare and it isn't recommended to supplement biotin by itself. . . so I'd love some other viewpoints! Thanks!

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 03:45:05 PM »
I will try to post some of the articles from the oxalate group on biotin, but it may take me a few days to get to it.  It is also recommended on www.knowthecause.com - a great site for anti-fungal protocols, etc.

Anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that biotin works when other anti-fungal measures just can't quite get the job done.  I seem to recall it is because biotin causes the fungus to mutate to a LESS virulent form...